Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VirginMedia Wireless Router Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VirginMedia Wireless Router Problem

Old 18-03-2008, 18:07   #1
spliffy
Inactive

spliffy is an unknown quantity at this point
VirginMedia Wireless Router Problem

I have a VirginMedia standalone broadband box and I am trying to go wireless, without success.

Ths virginmedia box works perfectly when connected directly to the pc's ethernet port.

I have followed the instructions that came with the router to the letter, but I cannot get it to work.

The instructions are as follows:

1. Power up the pc and virginmedia box and establish an internet connection.
2. Power up the router
3. Connect the ethernet cable from port 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 on the router to the computer's ethernet port
4. Connect the WAN port on the router to the Virginmedia box's ethernet port.

Problem is that the WAN led on the WAN port does no light and when I run the installation disc, I keep getting the message 'No WAN Cable Connected'

I have tried switching around cables.

I have even tried changing Wireless Routers (From Buffalo to D-Link).

I get the same problem whatever I do.

Am I doing something obviously wrong ???

If I am, neither the Buffalo or D-Link support people seem to be able to find the problem.

H E L P !!
spliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2008, 20:42   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: VirginMedia Wireless Router Problem

to Cable Forum

I'm assuming by standalone broadband box, you mean a cable modem rather than Set Top Box. I also assume your router is cable compatible i.e. does not include any inbuilt ADSL modem.

Start by establishing a wired connection between your modem router and PC. Later you can set up the wireless.

Please do a reset to factory settings on the router to wipe any settings you may have inadvertently tweaked.

Procedure for connection is:
1) Power everything (modem, router, computer) off.
2) Connect ethernet between modem and router (WAN) connect ethernet between router (LAN) and PC. (no other USB or ethernet lead to be connected to router)
3) Power modem and let settle, power router let settle, power PC.

In theory that should be it. If not we need to trouble shoot.
A) Can you browse from your PC to the router's admin page. If not you need to check the cable between the router and PC, and the PC's network settings.
B) Are the modem lights lit. If not try a different ethernet lead between the modem and router. If that doesn't solve it then, since your PC can get a direct network connection, it must be an error in the router configuration.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 18:32   #3
spliffy
Inactive

Thumbs down Re: VirginMedia Wireless Router Problem

1) YES
2) YES
3) YES
A) YES
B) Etherbet light will not light.

So, I tried replacing the Ethernet with another ( a crossover type).
Result: The WAN led lights on the router. Everything looks fine on the router.
Communicated with the router from the computer. Cloned MAC address etc.
However, keep getting the message 'DHCP Connecting', but it won't go any further !!

Forgot to mention,,,,,in the meantime, I exchanged the router for another one.

So....
.....the cross-over lead lights the WAN led on the router but will NOT give internet connection when connected directly to the PC.

.....the straight-through lead will not light the WAN led on the router, but WILL give internet connection when connected directly to the PC.

Confused ? I certainly am !!!!!

Bottom line is......still no wireless !!!!!

Any ideas ????

I've run out of them.
Old 19-03-2008, 19:04   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Very odd, if the ethernet works when connected direct between modem and PC, there is no reason why it shouldn't work when connected between modem and router WAN port. You are power cycling the modem every time to change over the connection?

It should be a straight through, not crossover cable. I'd suggest you try a different one, just in case, but you've probably been there already.

A suggestion I've seen elsewhere is to power off the modem for a lengthy period of time, say overnight, along with the stuff connected to it. When you power up do so over a few minutes, i.e. modem first, couple of minutes later router, and the later the PC. I have no idea why this should work, but the poster swore by it.

You have purchased a router with wireless access point, rather than just an wireless access point?
Old 19-03-2008, 19:29   #5
spliffy
Inactive

Not sure what the difference is, but it's a D-Link DI-524.
By the way, had the same problem with another router I tried.
So, it has to be something to do witht the leads or maybe the modem in some way (incompatible with the routers or faulty in some way?
(Clutching at straws)
Old 20-03-2008, 15:33   #6
spliffy
Inactive

I have read on another forum that someone else had the same problem.

Turned out to be the old NTL 120 cable modem would not talk to the router, even though it did work when connected to the pc.

I believe the cable modem to be the problem and I have arranged for Virgin to send me a new one (of the new type, probably a 250).

I am fairly confident that this will work.

I will report back.
Old 26-03-2008, 14:09   #7
spliffy
Inactive

Just thought I'd let you know the outcome of this problem.

I have just replaced the old ntl home 120 cable modem with a new Virgin Media 256.

Now everything works fine with the wireless D-Link router.

It seems that the old ntl home 120 is incompatible with wirelss routers ( I have tried Bufallo and D-Link), but works fine when connected directly to the computer.

I am surprised that nobody came up with this answer for me, but I am glad it's all working now.

Was pulling my hair out for days !

Thankyou for your replies in any case, and I hope this thread helps others !
Old 27-03-2008, 18:51   #8
snowey
Inactive

Services: Virgin media, tv, telephone, cable bb,30mb,mobile, tivo.
snowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spliffy View Post
Just thought I'd let you know the outcome of this problem.

I have just replaced the old ntl home 120 cable modem with a new Virgin Media 256.

Now everything works fine with the wireless D-Link router.

It seems that the old ntl home 120 is incompatible with wirelss routers ( I have tried Bufallo and D-Link), but works fine when connected directly to the computer.
I am surprised that nobody came up with this answer for me, but I am glad it's all working now.

Was pulling my hair out for days !

Thankyou for your replies in any case, and I hope this thread helps others !
glad ive read your post, planning to get a wireless router to serve my new laptop, i have the old 120 ntl home modem, prehaps Rob could confirm this is the case, it seems to have sorted your problem, might save me a lot of headaches, please reply Rob TIA.....
snowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 19:01   #9
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

I have no idea if this is a specific weird incompatibility issue for the D-link router and ntl 120 modem, or if that modem is widely incompatible with routers.
Old 27-03-2008, 20:11   #10
spliffy
Inactive

I have tried the ntl 120 with a D-Link Router and a Bufallo Router.
Neither works, although the ntl works perfectly when connected directly to the ethernet port on the computer.
The Virgin Media 256 modem however worked first time withthe D-Link router.
Virgin will not replace your modem if you tell them it works with your computer, as they do not support wireless networking.
My advice is to tell them that your old modem no longer works at all, and they will supply you with a new one.
Old 27-03-2008, 21:37   #11
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

My ntl 120 modem is working quite happily with my Linksys wireless router, and has done so for nearly two years.

Don't see why it shouldn't, as far as it's concerned it's just something connected to it's Ethernet port.
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 12:27   #12
snowey
Inactive

Services: Virgin media, tv, telephone, cable bb,30mb,mobile, tivo.
snowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: VirginMedia Wireless Router Problem

Thanks too you all, i will give it a go BTW, whats the best router to work with VM, regards Snowey....
snowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 00:26   #13
spliffy
Inactive

I think most routers are compatible witht the latest cable modems.
Here's some advice though...
Unless you live in the smallest of flats, or live in a house with cardboard-constructed walls, I would recommend you not to buy an entry-level router.
They usually quote range figures as 'line-of-sight', but they are weaker than you would imagine.
I believe the Buffalos give a good signal, and are slightly easier to set up, but different people have different opinions.
Old 29-03-2008, 08:17   #14
bayonet
cf.addict

Services: 152Mb 2AC Superhub XL TV with TIVO
bayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nice

I've had a Buffalo wireless router for about 6 weeks now and it has not given me one problem was easy to setup and works fine wired or wireless I'm using XP and LINUX. I'm on ntl 250 modem bought the router from ebuyer cost roughly £35 here's the link http://www.ebuyer.com/product/97221
bayonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 17:12   #15
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayonet View Post
I've had a Buffalo wireless router for about 6 weeks now and it has not given me one problem was easy to setup and works fine wired or wireless I'm using XP and LINUX. I'm on ntl 250 modem bought the router from ebuyer cost roughly £35 here's the link http://www.ebuyer.com/product/97221
Yep, the buffalos are good indeed.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote