Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Forwarding ports!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Forwarding ports!

Old 22-01-2008, 19:18   #1
seabrook
Inactive

seabrook is an unknown quantity at this point
Forwarding ports!

hi, i recently downloaded Utorrent because i was getting problems elsewere, i noticed i had a really slow download speed, i spoke to my brother who said i had to forward the port manually i used forwardport.com and did everything they said to do. i made a static ip address and so forth i tested the port on Utorrent and i got an error every time. i closed all firewall software and ran it again still with no success. i have a ntl:home broadband internet modem (virgin media) which is connected to a belkin wireless g router- 2.4Ghz which is used solely on an xbox 360. can anybody help me please? thanks!
seabrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-01-2008, 19:26   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Forwarding ports!

The download speed on any torrent will depend on the number of people prepared to upload to you. Frequently even if there appear to be many uploaders, they may have systems that block those who themselves have yet to upload much according to their trackers. As a rule the longer you are online, the faster your download might get.

You do need to ensure you are able to upload as well as download. Those who attempt to leech (download only) are rarely welcome on torrents. However be sure that whatever settings you use, do not saturate your upload bandwidth. Set that to no more than 80% of the maximum, so as to prevent the acknowledgement packets from getting blocked.

Regarding ports to open, the best option is to follow the instructions of the utorrent site. you shouldn't really need additions such as forwardport, since it's all about the settings on your router and also any firewall running on your computer. Not sure about utorrent but Azureus has testing tools that tell you if you've opened what you need to.

There should be a simple option in your router's settings for port forwarding - might refer more to gaming applications. Just input your computer's local IP address on your network, and set the ports for incoming and outgoing. You need to allow TCP and UDP. You then need to do similar in any software firewall.

---------- Post added at 19:26 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

Oh and please don't post duplicate threads, one has now been deleted.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 19:29   #3
seabrook
Inactive

seabrook is an unknown quantity at this point

alright cool thanks. i have been mucking about with the stuff to much now and i cannot even download things it just comes up red and with an error about port opening!
seabrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 19:40   #4
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

this any help?

http://portforward.com/english/route...outerindex.htm
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 17:16   #5
ladrillo
Inactive

ladrillo is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, im Ladrillo.I have a little problem opening ports.I downloaded Utorrent and now I dont know what ports do I have
to open
ladrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 18:47   #6
kpanchev
Inactive

Services: BB L package
kpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enough

If you are using the testing button from inside utorrent, it does not work. You have to manually edit the address to https://www.utorrent.com/testport3.php?port=<your port number>
kpanchev is offline   Reply With Quote