Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Where to get longer 'cable' cables?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Where to get longer 'cable' cables?

Old 01-04-2008, 15:25   #1
probedb
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV (XL) Virgin Broadband (L) Virgin Telephone (M)
probedb is an unknown quantity at this point
Where to get longer 'cable' cables?

Hi folks,

My first post so apologies if this is the wrong place.

I'm wondering if there's anywhere I can get longer 'cable' cables? Basically the installer put such a ridiculously short run of cable to the cable modem that I can't put it anywhere useful so it's currently on the floor.

Does anywhere sell pre-made cables? I'm after about 2/3m.

Cheers!

Paul.
probedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2008, 15:51   #2
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050
Re: Where to get longer 'cable' cables?

Easyiest Way is to ring Virgin Media Customer Service and bitch about it and you may be able to blag a free cable extension..
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 17:11   #3
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
Easyiest Way is to ring Virgin Media Customer Service and bitch about it and you may be able to blag a free cable extension..
Yep, they did a similar thing to me on my BB installation, I had about 1.5m. I rang VM and to be fair they were fine about it, asked how long I wanted!. They sent me 3m in the post within the week, admittedly this was shortly after the takeover, but even so credit where its due.
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 19:12   #4
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Sometimes the easiest thing is to leave the modem where it is and run a longer ethernet cable.
You can buy them really cheap and good service from here:
http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catal...les-straight/:

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 19:30   #5
probedb
Inactive

Cheers everyone, found out the generic Sky cables you can get are OK so getting one of them, only about a fiver for 2M

Ethernet would be fine except the modem is literally on the floor in front of a shelf...there's not even enough cable to put it up there. I was in the middle of moving in when they installed so wasn't paying enough attention. oh well!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:45   #6
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Sometimes the easiest thing is to leave the modem where it is and run a longer ethernet cable.
You can buy them really cheap and good service from here:
http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catal...les-straight/:
While we are on this subject Halcyon, I noticed on the link different kinds of ethernet cable, eg crossover, network can you put my non techie mind at rest and tell me which is the one like the blue cable VM give us, thanks.
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:48   #7
cleshe
Inactive

Services: virgin 4Mbs ,now upgraded to 10Mbps
cleshe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstamper View Post
While we are on this subject Halcyon, I noticed on the link different kinds of ethernet cable, eg crossover, network can you put my non techie mind at rest and tell me which is the one like the blue cable VM give us, thanks.
Straight(not crossover)in my case.I have had a modem from the beginning. I have heard, but don't know if it's true that if your initial installation was a set-top box, the cable to the computer is a crossover(also blue).
cleshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 15:28   #8
littlebert
cf.member

littlebert is an unknown quantity at this point

I came across these guys the other day when i was looking for a splitter and cable:
http://www.inhome-network.co.uk
They don't have a lot on there, but got linked across there from a another site, emailed them, and they sorted me out straight away.
littlebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:15   #9
Mike1901
Inactive

Mike1901 is an unknown quantity at this point

The cable VM give is always a crossover, which you should always use for the one going from the modem to pc or modem to router. Router to PCs should be straight cables .
Mike1901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:40   #10
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1901 View Post
The cable VM give is always a crossover, which you should always use for the one going from the modem to pc or modem to router. Router to PCs should be straight cables .
Most modern routers will detect a connection from either a straight thru or crossover these days and change accordingly anyways.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:40   #11
probedb
Inactive

Quote:
Though nowadays most routers can work out what sort of cable is plugged in
Old 04-04-2008, 10:35   #12
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
its always been straight thro for us in the N/W,older set tops were crossed so a crossover adaptor was used,these are pretty much obsolete now so everything on the whole is straight
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 21:30   #13
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Most modern routers will detect a connection from either a straight thru or crossover these days and change accordingly anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by probedb View Post
Though nowadays most routers can work out what sort of cable is plugged in
ECHO!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote