Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Routers. Virgin Approved?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Routers. Virgin Approved?

Old 31-03-2008, 08:24   #1
Logan
Inactive

Services: Sky+ NTL 10mb
Logan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Logan
Routers. Virgin Approved?

After an expensive phone call to Virgin last night after my connection seemed to drop, I found out that the source of the problem, for reasons unknown to me still, my Belkin router decided to have some sort of ****y fit and I couldn't get the internet LED to remain stable.

This has happened in the past but normally its been a modem issue or a genuine Virgin issue. Several resets of both router and modem later, the issue resolves (if not its a genuine outage).

The woman I spoke to on the phone was explaining that it was something to do with IP addresses. Because when I plugged the modem straight into the PC, it worked, once a new IP address had been established.

Now I've heard some mixed reports about Belkin routers. So I'm in the market for a new one. I'm on the 20MB cable broadband if its of reference.

My question has several parts:

(a) Do Virgin supply a router?
(b) Do Virgin have a list of "supported" or "recommended" routers?
(c) Which router(s) get the most praise amongst users of this forum?

Lastly, I've been looking at two D-Link models, the DIR-635 and the DIR-655. How do these rate?

Thanks a lot
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-03-2008, 08:44   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Routers. Virgin Approved?

Some questions might be answered here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...unch-31st.html
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 13:16   #3
Rob7865
Inactive

Rob7865 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am currently using a Netgear Router on Virgin and never (touch wood!!) had a problem....

...I hear the D-Link are very good - the 655 also has a 4 port gig switch... Though if you can hold off, I think the new 855 which is due 802.11g/n will be worth the wait!!!

just my 2 pence!

Rob
Rob7865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 13:41   #4
eth01
Inactive

eth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to all

any decent cable supporting router -- should be fine.
eth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 14:19   #5
Logan
Inactive

Services: Sky+ NTL 10mb
Logan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Logan

Cheers chaps. Points noted. I'll bear that in mind when I go browse PC World for a new one.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote