Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | File-sharing non-Internet PC?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

File-sharing non-Internet PC?

Old 30-03-2008, 18:02   #1
iantresman
Inactive

iantresman is an unknown quantity at this point
File-sharing non-Internet PC?

I want to copy some files from an old XP PC, with a new Vista PC connected via Ethernet to an NTL set-top box, which I am accessing with UltraVNC without problem from 200 miles away (it's my father's PC).

Although we have a "Windows Easy Transfer" USB cable, it requires someone to access the old XP PC to select files etc (my father is not computer literate). I'd like to be able to see the old XP as a network drive on Vista, so I can select what I need to transfer on the Vista PC (which I am viewing remotely).

Would a USB Ethernet adapter (in the Vista PC) and Ethernet cross-over cable to the XP PC be sufficient, and allow me to enable file sharing? The USB Easy Transfer cable seems to require the Easy Transfer software to work.
iantresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2008, 18:11   #2
zing_deleted

Re: File-sharing non-Internet PC?

I would say so but as you are accessing remotely you will need 2 nics in the vista pc 1 in the oldie
Old 30-03-2008, 19:11   #3
iantresman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
I would say so but as you are accessing remotely you will need 2 nics in the vista pc 1 in the oldie
There's already an Ethernet card in the back of the Vista PC which provides Internet, and then I'm thinking that the USB Ethernet adapter would be the second network interface card, which would file share?
Old 30-03-2008, 19:26   #4
zing_deleted

it would or should lol
Old 30-03-2008, 20:30   #5
iantresman
Inactive

Thanks!
Old 30-03-2008, 22:10   #6
cleshe
Inactive

Services: virgin 4Mbs ,now upgraded to 10Mbps
cleshe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantresman View Post
I want to copy some files from an old XP PC, with a new Vista PC connected via Ethernet to an NTL set-top box, which I am accessing with UltraVNC without problem from 200 miles away (it's my father's PC).

Although we have a "Windows Easy Transfer" USB cable, it requires someone to access the old XP PC to select files etc (my father is not computer literate). I'd like to be able to see the old XP as a network drive on Vista, so I can select what I need to transfer on the Vista PC (which I am viewing remotely).

Would a USB Ethernet adapter (in the Vista PC) and Ethernet cross-over cable to the XP PC be sufficient, and allow me to enable file sharing? The USB Easy Transfer cable seems to require the Easy Transfer software to work.
I'm pretty sure that if you are connecting a Vista PC and an XP one, you need some small program/ patch from Microsoft. Can't remember it's name , but when my sister carried out a similar swapover she had to download and install something to let it happen.Putting in network xp to vista on Microsoft's site would tell you.
I thought the Easy Transfer cable came complete with software?
cleshe is offline   Reply With Quote