Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Switched from ADSL to Cable - do I need new router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Switched from ADSL to Cable - do I need new router?

Old 29-03-2008, 11:29   #1
martin_y
Inactive

martin_y is an unknown quantity at this point
Switched from ADSL to Cable - do I need new router?

Hi everyone
As per the subject - do I need a new Router?

I have Virgin Media on Cable. I want to connect a few PCs via ethernet, and a few via wireless.

I have been on ADSL for ages, and my setup is -

Belkin ADSL modem, and the same box has 4 ethernet ports, plus wireless capability. I have 3 PCS, plus a Printer on the ethernet ports. then my wife and I have laptops and we connect with wireless.

My Waitrose broadband (over BT line) expires on Sunday. I have taken up VM and the man came to install the modem.When I connect my PC to the VM modem via ethernet it all works fine.

Now, my original thought was to connect my exisitng Belkin box and just use it as a hub, (the adsl part would just be redundant). It seems to work, but only on the PC that I registered with VM ( is this correct? - its because I registered that one MAC, right?).

So I tried to do this:
VM Cable modem ->ethernet->Belkin box as a hub->PCs

What I really wanted to do was:
VM Cable modem ->ethernet->Belkin box as a hub -> Wireless PCs.

I dont think its going to work, right?

I need to this, right:?
VM Cable modem ->ethernet->ROUTER->PCS (wired and wireless).

Am I right?
what "kind" of Router do I need to do this, because the way I see it, its neither DSL or ADSL, I mean all it has to do is pass everything to the Cable modem via ethernet, right? ( I would just call it an ethernet router, but I am sure thats not right!).

Its function would be give PCs an address on my home network, but it would connect to VM with VM's "real" IP address ( is this called NAT?)

Sorry for all the questions! Appreciate any answer !!!!

martin_y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2008, 12:50   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Switched from ADSL to Cable - do I need new router?

If your router has an inbuilt ADSL modem, it won't work with cable. Cable has a standalone modem which needs an ethernet WAN (internet) side port on the router. Yes there may be 4 LAN side ports on your router, but that side of the router is effectively a switch. In other words anything connected on that side of the router can see everything else on that side of the router. The modem must only see one device connected to it, or the modem will not communicate properly. Worse your router would be trying to issue an IP address to the devices including modem, connected to the LAN side ports, when in fact the modem is trying to issue an IP to the single device it thinks it is speaking to.

You need a router that does not have an inbuilt modem, but which can connect to a standalone modem. These are usually marketed as DSL (not ADSL) or cable routers.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 14:16   #3
martin_y
Inactive

Thanks Rob, that confirms what I had sort of deduced myself.

Short of buying a modem, what about this idea.

1 laptop that connects via Ethernet to the cable Modem. The same laptop connects to a wireless hub.

Can I share my ethernet connection on my laptop so that other PCs, connected wirelessly, can use it?

I guess I am still going to run into the same problem with IP addresses.
Old 29-03-2008, 14:28   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You could use a form of internet connection sharing from one computer that is directly connected to the modem. But that means that one computer always has to be on. I have no idea if ICS will support more than one computer, even if you set it up with fixed IP addresses.

It may just be a typo, but you don't buy a modem with cable, the modem is supplied by Virgin Media. You would however buy the router. Router's are that expensive.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 16:47   #5
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
You could use a form of internet connection sharing from one computer that is directly connected to the modem. But that means that one computer always has to be on. I have no idea if ICS will support more than one computer, even if you set it up with fixed IP addresses.

It may just be a typo, but you don't buy a modem with cable, the modem is supplied by Virgin Media. You would however buy the router. Router's are that expensive.
Routers aren't* that expensive, is what Rob means.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 17:08   #6
martin_y
Inactive

Ah, sorry, yes - I should have said "short of buying a Router" Lol!

thanks Drucchi, they arent too expensive - I have been looking. My sharing connection idea was very temporary!
Old 29-03-2008, 19:39   #7
martin_y
Inactive

Will this one work?:

Specifications
Aerial

Aerial Form Factor (F)
External detachable

Antenna Qty

Gain Level
5 dBi

Header

Compatibility
PC

Country Kits