Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HDU Technetix installed - what for??

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New setup

Old 28-12-2018, 16:39   #1
GBMicros
Inactive

Services: Virgin for Broadband and Telephone. Sky for TV.
GBMicros is an unknown quantity at this point
New setup

Hi All

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

First post so please be gentle.

Had a look through the forum but can't find an answer to my question.

As a business that wants to offer different services I have had VM Business installed with 5 static IP's (Voom Fiber 3). I intend to use these for different services thus the 5 static and not 1 static.

I was told when ordering it that the Hitron CGNV4 would come without wireless, which is fine as I use UniFi AP's anyway.
I was not told until a conversation with VM Business support after the installation that the 5 static router cannot handle DHCP and that I need to put the Hitron in modem mode and use a separate router to do DHCP.

So my questions are:
1. Is this correct can the Hitron not handle DHCP even though it is part of the firmware when logged in on the basic tab.
2. Does anyone have a suggestion to a good router to use. That can handle the 5 static IP with port forwarding set on each.

I won't hold anything against anyone, just looking for clarification and good router suggestions.

Or would it be easier to set up a server to handle the DHCP, maybe with a proxy as well.

Any questions please ask as I may have missed some information for you.

Many thanks
GBMicros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-12-2018, 17:18   #2
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all
Re: New setup

Hello

How the Hitron works with multiple statics in effect replicates modem mode, so you will need your own router attached to the Hitron.

Hope this helps
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 18:58   #3
GBMicros
Inactive

Services: Virgin for Broadband and Telephone. Sky for TV.
GBMicros is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi vm_tech

Thanks for the quick reply and clarification.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good router for business.

Thanks
GBMicros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 19:12   #4
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Routers etc aren’t my strong point, but a lot of the ones I see customers using tend to be Draytek. Someone with a bit more knowledge might come along though....
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 09:31   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

have a quick scan through this thread and specifically page 2

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33707040
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 20:52   #6
adz161
cf.member

adz161 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don’t bother with the DrayTek . They cannot keep up with virgins speeds . I’d recommend a Ubiquiti Edge Router X . Will cost you about £39+ Vat . There support is great if you need it and you can configure basics through a web ui but also have the benefit of the cli for the more advanced features . Plenty of guides on the net and YouTube.

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/produ...ubiquiti-er-x/

Last edited by adz161; 29-12-2018 at 20:53. Reason: I’m a sucker with out a spellchecker
adz161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 00:28   #7
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

+1 for Ubiquiti kit. Their Unifi line is good for that 'whole network' setup (firewall, switches, wifi AP's) and can scale up to thousands of users, but if you just want a router then the above is great.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote