Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

Old 07-07-2020, 20:58   #1
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB
Talking New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

Hi all, just looking some people's opinions on a new set up. I have always run with VM standard setup (Superhub running as WiFi router.) But I've got a new router and a new Cat-8 network cable.

My question is, when I change my VM router to a Modem and connect to the new router will I get better speed with the new Cat-8 network cable or should I stick with the Cat-6 that I have.

I'm hopping to do speed tests at each point just to see.
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2020, 21:02   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

you won't notice any different whatsoever and it will be a very long time until you do. I don't know what the cost of cat8 cable is but even if it is 10p I wouldn't recommend buying anymore. I like having the latest stuff for novelty but there is such a thing as overkill.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 00:03   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

A few years ago I put in loads of CAT6 cables around the house as it was the latest at the time.

I would if relaying buy the latest version.
Old 08-07-2020, 00:14   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Yup, cat6 has defo outlived its usefulness. We are past the need of 10gbits/sec and need 40 pronto. You must have one hell of a router with a stonking fiber internet connection.
Old 08-07-2020, 00:37   #5
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

You may have missed off the sarcasm emoji there, mon General...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 00:52   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You may have missed off the sarcasm emoji there, mon General...
Yes I was left scratching my head about this, I even googled cat 6 Vs cat 8 to make sure I read it right when General said he wouldn't buy anymore of it.

What I found out was cat 8 is faster but it is for alot shorter distance.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:13   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Hands up if your router and all the devices on your lan can do 10gbits/sec. No? Well cat6 is more than sufficient and you defo dont need cat8.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:43   #8
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I didn't know Cat 8 existed until i read this post lol.

I thought Cat 7 was still the thing.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:57   #9
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

This helps explain some of the differences between cable categories.

https://www.cablesandkits.com/learni...thernet-cables
roughbeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 13:41   #10
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

If you're running cables between rooms/walls/etc. it does make sense to consider running a better grade of cable than you currently need. That said, CAT6 is sufficient for 10Gbit and most home networking equipment still lacks that. It'll be many years before we need anything beyond CAT6 in the home.

CAT8 is really only if you plan to run 25Gbps+ stuff and that's not going to be in the consumer space for many, many years. If the price difference was a few pence then maybe? But almost certainly not required.

If it's cables between devices today, then CAT8 is absolutely overkill and makes zero difference. The HUB won't negotiate anything higher than 1gbps. Even consumer stuff isn't really going beyond 2.5Gbps (or 5gbps if you're lucky, 10gbps if you're very lucky) and CAT6 is still fine for that.

In short: Anything above CAT6 won't net you any benefit today.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:22   #11
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future

Thanks all,

For just a wee update the cat 8 cable going from Modem to new router wouldn't work. Cat6 worked fine as expected. Cat8 cable code a few pound but it made for a nice test.

I'm going to runs some speed tests with cat6 & 8 from router to laptop.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:42   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

Have fun wasting time
Old 09-07-2020, 15:13   #13
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

CAT8 differs electrically to balanced UTP and requires shielded terminations to work properly.

The primary use as it stands is that it offers SMEs who wish to stand up small data centres or comms rooms a cheaper alternative to multimode fibre.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:38   #14
JMcB
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Have fun wasting time
Loving it
Old 10-07-2020, 11:57   #15
General Maximus
Ran Away

Where are these blistering speed test results? I can't wait to see what 40tb/sec looks like