Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ISP Virgin Media UK to Launch Surprise 600Mbps Broadband Tier

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

ISP Virgin Media UK to Launch Surprise 600Mbps Broadband Tier

Old 21-06-2020, 02:27   #16
oscarandjo
cf.member

oscarandjo is on a distinguished roadoscarandjo is on a distinguished road
Re: ISP Virgin Media UK to Launch Surprise 600Mbps Broadband Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
£70 a month is a steal for that deal. No brand loyalty, go where your wallet takes you.
Toob is providing 900Mbps for £25/month in Southampton, I can't wait for them to lay the fibre on my road soon!
oscarandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-06-2020, 02:33   #17
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

That's also a stonking deal. Though I suspect not a sustainable one, it's good to have competition!

I feel as though history is repeating itself with all the various small fibre providers laying fibre all over the country. Not too dissimilar to what happened with cable originally, it seems inevitable that they'll start merging and buying each other out.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 02:42   #18
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I wish they would do it around here.

We have FTTC (both VM & BT I believe), just cant get it to the house.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 02:50   #19
oscarandjo
cf.member

oscarandjo is on a distinguished roadoscarandjo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's also a stonking deal. Though I suspect not a sustainable one, it's good to have competition!

I feel as though history is repeating itself with all the various small fibre providers laying fibre all over the country. Not too dissimilar to what happened with cable originally, it seems inevitable that they'll start merging and buying each other out.
Yes, I did feel that too. I'm sure it's just a temporary thing while they get their name out there and they'll put the prices up.

Whatever happens, I'm just happy the fibre is being laid. We're so behind the rest of Europe in the FTTH game.

It's funny how as soon as Toob announce they're building a Gigabit Fiber broadband company in Southampton, Virgin announce that Southampton will be one of the first cities in the UK to get Virgin's 1000Mbps.

Virgin Media have publicly vowed to "destroy" Toob, but I wonder how they'll try to compete. Their prices for comparable internet are so much more expensive than Toob.
oscarandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 18:12   #20
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them

Anybody heard any rumours about Voom? Speed upgrades? DOCSIS 3.1? New business hub?

I’m currently on the 500Mbit package, but a boost in upload speed would be great for transferring data back to the office, I work on signal processing software (for radar) so often up transferring large amounts of raw quadrature data and processed data back and forth, although I try to work remotely via RDP (as my spectrum analyser and RF hardware is there) sometimes I end up doing development locally for convenience/speed.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 18:46   #21
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Don’t expect anything on the upstream side for a long time just look at Comcast in the US they’re good to look at to see what virgin will be doing in about a year’s time

Last edited by Martin_D; 21-06-2020 at 19:01.
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 19:05   #22
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Don’t expect anything on the upstream side for a long time just look at Comcast in the US they’re good to look at to see what virgin will be doing in about a year’s time
The residential 1Gbit has 50Mbit upload though doesn’t it? I’d settle for that, that’s 40% faster than what I get on 500Mbit. I’m just a bit surprised that they haven’t yet released a 1G business product for parity with the residential service.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 20:32   #23
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzyade View Post
The residential 1Gbit has 50Mbit upload though doesn’t it? I’d settle for that, that’s 40% faster than what I get on 500Mbit. I’m just a bit surprised that they haven’t yet released a 1G business product for parity with the residential service.
Yes that’s correct 1Gbps / 50Mbps for residential
Old 22-06-2020, 14:09   #24
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I imagine that's down to the 1gig service using 3.1 stuff, which is still relatively new to Virgin. They probably want to roll it out and work out all the various kinks before making a business product out of it.
Old 22-06-2020, 16:54   #25
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Anybody heard any rumours about Voom? Speed upgrades? DOCSIS 3.1? New business hub?

I’m currently on the 500Mbit package, but a boost in upload speed would be great for transferring data back to the office, I work on signal processing software (for radar) so often up transferring large amounts of raw quadrature data and processed data back and forth, although I try to work remotely via RDP (as my spectrum analyser and RF hardware is there) sometimes I end up doing development locally for convenience/speed.
Is BT FTTP available to you?
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 11:49   #26
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I'm interested in an upload increase, 350 > 500 (or 600) is not really worth paying more.
Likewise. With the 350M and 500M tiers retaining the 35M upload, there is zero incentive for me to switch, especially with an 18 month contract. The reality is that should we get an FTTP provider open up around here, I will get rid of VM in a heartbeat.

Having had G.Network for almost a year before our recent move, a real 1G up/down connection made me realise just how snappy a real gigabit connection based on pure fibre is. With no jitter, and super low latency, HFC is definitely not the future.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 21:02   #27
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Virgin Media UK Refresh Bundles and Add 600Mbps Broadband UPDATE2

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...broadband.html
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 10:32   #28
Lee
cf.addict

Lee is on a distinguished roadLee is on a distinguished road

So the website doesn't list the M350 any more, so what happens to people on that tier?

My contract with VM has expired, so tried contacting them yesterday to ask about upping to the M500 at the £42/mo price. I was told this isn't possible, I can only have a 30 day rolling contract at £62/mo...
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 10:44   #29
Kushan

Try calling them again at the start of next month. I believe retentions get various credits, etc. reset at the start of the month.
Old 30-06-2020, 10:46   #30
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:

100% agree. That's very clearly on the cards, especially if you look up whom some of the investors are in these various outfits.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote