Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys WRT54G Set-up Probs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys WRT54G Set-up Probs

Old 30-11-2007, 22:22   #1
GabrielSyme
Inactive

GabrielSyme is an unknown quantity at this point
Linksys WRT54G Set-up Probs

Hello all

I'm a newbie to router stuff so forgive me if this sounds a bit dumb:

I've tried to set up the above router to my modem, following the set-up disc guidance, but am getting an "unable to connect to the internet" message at the end of the steps. I suspect I may be choosing the wrong options when I get to the "static ip/DHCP, options section. Any ideas what this idiot is doing wrong?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gabriel
GabrielSyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2007, 08:33   #2
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Linksys WRT54G Set-up Probs

You would normally have to have the DHCP server enabled in the router as this is what hands out IPs to the connected computers.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:54   #3
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

If you connect your PC directly to the Modem can you get an Internet connection that way?

I'm assuming that you have a Cable Modem and not an ADSL one. I'm also assuming that you're attempting to connect via the Ethernet connection to the router, and not wirelessly at this stage.

Generally speaking, the discs that come with these routers are junk and do nothing other than configure the network adaptor on your PC. That shouldn't need any reconfiguring at all, if you're using a Cable Modem then the settings (generally speaking) should work on either.

1. Assuming that you had everything working ok before, connect the PC directly to the Modem and check that you still have a working Internet connection
2. Reset the router to its factory settings (follow the instructions supplied for that)
3. Turn the power off to everything
4. Connect everything together (Modem > Router > PC)
5. Turn the power on the to Modem, count to 30
6. Turn the power on to the router, count to 30
7. Boot your PC back up, hopefully all should be well

If the above doesn't work please let us know and we'll see if we can figure out why. If any of the assumptions I've made are wrong then please say, the setup method may change accordingly.

If it's all working, log into the router and change the Admin password and Username before you do *anything* else!!!

---------- Post added at 10:54 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

Just a thought. The stupid Linksys software may have changed your network adaptor settings on your PC, so you original connection may no loger work.

If it has, go into the connection properties (Start > Control Panel somewhere) and change the TCP/IP settings to 'obtain an IP address automatically' and see if that helps.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:17   #4
GabrielSyme
Inactive

Thanks very much, that's worked! Much appreciated.

Now another final query: How do I set the SSID and WPA stuff without the installation CD and change the router password?

Thanks

Gabriel
Old 02-12-2007, 11:50   #5
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

You will need to log into the router via an ip address (often 192.168.0.1) it will have a default user name and password in the manual for this. Once in there you can go into the settings of the router and make any changes you want.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:54   #6
Axegrinder
Inactive

Services: Virgin BB M 10Mb Freeview
Axegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really nice

Type http://192.168.1.1/ in the adress bar and the username you leave blank, and password is admin which is the default username and password.

When you in the setup page click the tab saying "wireless" then enter your SSID int he appropriate box.
Axegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:57   #7
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

For the wrt54g it's 192.168.11.1
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:08   #8
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Could I humbly suggest that the OP reads the manual to check before changing anything? Might help.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:10   #9
GabrielSyme
Inactive

Many thanks all for the advice. Sorted out the above.