Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

Old 10-01-2012, 21:22   #166
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Yeah, I'm really liking the idea of watching the Gadget Show and the app giving you the option to buy the products being featured on the show in real time. Having access to your Sky+ planner on the go will be another big plus for the Sky TV platform.

The reason why I asked about the money back guarantee is because I'm not sure how usable the internet would be in my area. I'm currently spoilt by VMs 50mb service so I'm hoping adsl won't be as bad as I fear.
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2012, 21:30   #167
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Yeah, I'm really liking the idea of watching the Gadget Show and the app giving you the option to buy the products being featured on the show in real time. Having access to your Sky+ planner on the go will be another big plus for the Sky TV platform.

The reason why I asked about the money back guarantee is because I'm not sure how usable the internet would be in my area. I'm currently spoilt by VMs 50mb service so I'm hoping adsl won't be as bad as I fear.
Try your house no and postcode here
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/br...r?address=true
http://www.sky.com/quickbuy/build?ds...b=addressCheck

Should give you an idea of speed available.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:00   #168
Doz007
cf.geek

Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Thanks for those links MM, you're a star!

Sky says I should expect 5.4 to 11.5mbps

Whilst Samknows gave me the following:

ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL2+ services
According to BT Wholesale, houses at your postcode should be able to support

up to 2Mbps via ADSL
5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max
6Mbps or greater via ADSL2+

What type of ADSL connection does Sky BB utilise?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:30   #169
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

ADSL2+ , Sky estimated my line would run 4-11mb it's currently running at 9mb.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:41   #170
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post
I think Sky really are heading in the right direction with this latest news. I mean they could release pointless apps like Netflix and Lovefilm or Youtube BBC iplayer, 4od ect ect.

But I have all of those apps on one or more devices EG xbox, PS3, Blue ray player, smart TV.

I want my content on the move now. This really makes Virginmedias Tivo seem very dated, especially as its flash based which is basically redundant now.
Did you say the Tivo was dated.
Old 11-01-2012, 20:27   #171
Doz007
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Did you say the Tivo was dated.
Yeah, he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
ADSL2+ , Sky estimated my line would run 4-11mb it's currently running at 9mb.
Thanks for that, I could certainly manage with 9mb. I'm guessing it's sufficient for Anytime+ downloading and Skygo streaming?
Old 11-01-2012, 20:27   #172
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thanks for those links MM, you're a star!

Sky says I should expect 5.4 to 11.5mbps

Whilst Samknows gave me the following:

ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL2+ services
According to BT Wholesale, houses at your postcode should be able to support

up to 2Mbps via ADSL

What type of ADSL connection does Sky BB utilise?

One thing though:

Does your exchange definitely have Sky LLU?

If you find that Sky cannot provide you with LLU broadband (Sky Broadband Unlimited or Everyday Lite) and all they can offer is "Sky Broadband Connect"... DO NOT GO NEAR IT.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 20:28   #173
Doz007
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
One thing though:

Does your exchange definitely have Sky LLU?

If you find that Sky cannot provide you with LLU broadband (Sky Broadband Unlimited or Everyday Lite) and all they can offer is "Sky Broadband Connect"... DO NOT GO NEAR IT.
Good question, is there a sure fire way to check if I'm eligible for Sky LLU?
Old 11-01-2012, 20:33   #174
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Doz007;35359622]Yeah, he did.

l have to disagree with that assumption.
Old 11-01-2012, 20:38   #175
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Good question, is there a sure fire way to check if I'm eligible for Sky LLU?
Sam Knows should list the LLU providers available, plus Sky should know what they can actually offer you if you ask them.

Sky's LLU broadband is excellent. I've had the Unlimited service for nearly five years now. £7.50 per month with no usage limits, no throttling/shaping/management, and no FUP Due to my line I only get around 6Mbps though ... but that's not Sky's fault - it'd be the same with anyone else.

I'd love VM for the speed, but my area isn't cabled.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 21:02   #176
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

My line says this

up to 2Mbps via ADSL
My line receives 9mb through Sky
I'm aprrox 2.36km from the exchange

You have to click LLU xdsl to see whether Sky are at your exchange.

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Sky's LLU broadband is excellent. I've had the Unlimited service for nearly five years now. £7.50 per month with no usage limits, no throttling/shaping/management, and no FUP Due to my line I only get around 6Mbps though ... but that's not Sky's fault - it'd be the same with anyone else
I would agree its a decent service Netflix streaming has been excellent and on my PS3 I always get X-High HD when pressing select.

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Quote:
Yeah, he did.

Thanks for that, I could certainly manage with 9mb. I'm guessing it's sufficient for Anytime+ downloading and Skygo streaming?
9mb works no probs on Anytime+ , SD shows are ready to play in seconds and HD movies usually take 60-90 seconds to be ready.
Old 12-01-2012, 16:28   #177
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Sky Atlantic to air Showtime’s ‘House Of Lies’ with Don Cheadle, Kristen Bell and Ben Schwartz

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/s...-ben-schwartz/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JRvXLiJagc

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

[/COLOR]'Friday Night Lights' lands at BSkyB: U.K. satcaster picks up football drama

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/f...-sky-atlantic/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG37AylK1_s
Old 12-01-2012, 18:04   #178
pillz
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD , Virgin 50Meg , Virgin Phone
pillz will become famous soon enoughpillz will become famous soon enoughpillz will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to pillz

Sky TV trumps tivo imo , ive been with sky for years and never had a single issue with the services received , sky is so much simpler to use and the box never freezes on me unlike tivo.
pillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 18:10   #179
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillz View Post
Sky TV trumps tivo imo , ive been with sky for years and never had a single issue with the services received , sky is so much simpler to use and the box never freezes on me unlike tivo.
Well everybody to their own opinion but as regards potential and functionality for the future Tivo is increasingly way ahead of Sky's boxes and in the coming year you will see that come to fruition in spades.
Old 12-01-2012, 18:19   #180
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well everybody to their own opinion but as regards potential and functionality for the future Tivo is increasingly way ahead of Sky's boxes and in the coming year you will see that come to fruition in spades.
Care to elaborate Den ?