Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

Old 15-12-2012, 17:23   #1516
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
1TB

I'm getting carried away aren't I? 300gb should be the right answer
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-12-2012, 17:25   #1517
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I'm getting carried away aren't I? 500gb should be the right answer
The 500gb is split 250gb for personal with the other 250gb for Showcase downloads , you can record upto 60hrs HD content owing to the fact Sky use Mpeg4.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 17:31   #1518
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
The 500gb is split 250gb for personal with the other 250gb for Showcase downloads , you can record upto 60hrs HD content owing to the fact Sky use Mpeg4.
Don't SKY offer their 1tb box anymore? I'd be happy to pay for an upgrade before the installation however the 2tb box is just outwith by budget for now.
Old 15-12-2012, 17:32   #1519
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Exclamation Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Quote:
Don't SKY offer their 1tb box anymore? I'd be happy to pay for an upgrade before the installation however the 2tb box is just outwith by budget for now.
The 1TB was replaced by the 2TB which records 350hrs HD.
Old 15-12-2012, 18:04   #1520
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
The 1TB was replaced by the 2TB which records 350hrs HD.
Glad I`ve already got my 1TB box
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 18:07   #1521
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Glad I`ve already got my 1TB box
I want a 2TB box but 2 things put me off. 1. the cost and 2. i dont actually need one, someone can buy me one thou then ill take it
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 18:13   #1522
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
My install came with the 2TB box. Recorded/downloaded about 10 things so far, some of which are HD 1 hour long documentaries and it still says I have 99% space free.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 08:39   #1523
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

You could always open that bad boy up & pop in a 1tb or 2tb drive!
Depending on how we go with our sub & how much space we do use I can see us doing that rather than pay a stupid amount to Sky.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 13:00   #1524
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
You could always open that bad boy up & pop in a 1tb or 2tb drive!
Depending on how we go with our sub & how much space we do use I can see us doing that rather than pay a stupid amount to Sky.
I just watched the how to video on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blarZdkztdQ

I'm not 100% sure it's something I'd like to attempt personally. I've got a small computer repair shop where I live. I'm sure they do a 1.5Tb hard drive for around £50.00. I wonder if they'd do the job for me. Would mind paying around £25.00 for the job to be done.

I have noticed posts from people on other forums that they've upgraded their drive but have found a few niggles creeping in. As the drive fills up their EPG becomes incredibly slow when they try to set new recordings.
Old 16-12-2012, 13:18   #1525
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Told the box I wanted to watch all the game of thrones yesterday. Saw it started downloading the first episode straight away so gave me the option of playing it instantly but then didn't start downloading the other episodes. Didn't watch that first episode last night anyway.

This morning checked the TBB graph for the sky connection and saw a small bump after I went to bed. Guessed it was the downloading the episodes while I slept so had a look on the sky box and they were all downloaded. Smart that it did the 25gb of downloading at that time 96% free space left.

Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 10:50   #1526
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Can someone tell me why ,since sky moved all the HD channels around that some programs appear to be in the wrong aspect ratio .Some programs fill my screen and some have the black border down the sides .This didn't happen at all before Sky buggered up the channel listing .
Old 17-12-2012, 11:53   #1527
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Told the box I wanted to watch all the game of thrones yesterday. Saw it started downloading the first episode straight away so gave me the option of playing it instantly but then didn't start downloading the other episodes. Didn't watch that first episode last night anyway.

This morning checked the TBB graph for the sky connection and saw a small bump after I went to bed. Guessed it was the downloading the episodes while I slept so had a look on the sky box and they were all downloaded. Smart that it did the 25gb of downloading at that time 96% free space left.

I very often set boxsets to download before going to bed that way there ready and waiting for you in the morning.
Old 17-12-2012, 12:39   #1528
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Can someone tell me why ,since sky moved all the HD channels around that some programs appear to be in the wrong aspect ratio .Some programs fill my screen and some have the black border down the sides .This didn't happen at all before Sky buggered up the channel listing .
If they are showing 4:3 content on an HD or other widescreen channel, it is probably correct that bars are added down the sides. The alternatives are to zoom the picture, chopping off the top and/or bottom, or to stretch the picture horizontally, resulting in the wrong aspect ratio.

Post a screenshot if you still think it is wrong, preferably of a programme that is frequently repeated so we can compare. (I doubt is is anything to do with a channel lineup change, by the way. Just coincidence).
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 16:20   #1529
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
4:3 content shown on a HD channel will always be in the correct aspect ratio i.e with black bars at the sides.

4:3 content shown on a SD channel, Gold for example, will be stretched to fill the screen (fat-o-vision)

It seems to be a matter of personal choice, for some it is a crises if the picture does not fill the screen? For myself I like everything in it's original aspect ratio so when the picture is streched I adjust it to 4:3 or maybe 14:9 using my TV's remote as opposed to the Sky remote.

I am sure it is possible to adjust the TV's AR using the Sky remote but I just cannot be bothered to fiddle about with it. Off the top of my head:- Pressing TV followed by Red or maybe Blue might do the trick.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 17:19   #1530
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Overnights.tv is reporting:

UMP Stars will cease broadcasting on 23rd December, 2012.
Dance Nation will be rebranded to Chart Show Dance on 3rd January 2013.

http://www.overnights.tv/public/content/News.aspx
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote