Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SKY+ without Satelite or Card

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SKY+ without Satelite or Card

Old 14-11-2007, 12:46   #1
jcumpsty
Inactive

jcumpsty is an unknown quantity at this point
SKY+ without Satelite or Card

Hi.

I have an old Amstrad Sky+ box. 6 months ago I upgraded the 40gb HDD to 250GB. It worked fine until about 3 weeks ago when it started rebooting randomly.

This morning sky came and installed a brand new Sky+ box.

I now have 100gb worth of recordings on my old sky+ box.

Should I be able to put the old hard drive in the new box? I expect not.
Is there a hack to let me access the old box away from the Sky+ satelite connection? And also without a viewing card as this will now be in the new box? I dont want to watch TV on it...just view my recordings. I did try this off a satellite connection some time ago and it worked for 30 minutes.

THanks.
jcumpsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-11-2007, 12:54   #2
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: SKY+ without Satelite or Card

Welcome to the site

I think it needs an active signal to be mainted for that to work.

p.s. I've moved your thread to the sky+ section so it's more relavent
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 15:53   #3
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

You can copy your old recordings to your PC then back over to your new drive I am sure. Obviously this means opening your box and voiding warranty but have a look at http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 16:59   #4
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Here's a thought.

We need to get Claire's gran a better set-up as she currently has a 32" LCD TV with built in free-view recorder. This is connected to a Phillips divx DVD recorder she got as a present.

She's trying to record through video plus but this Phillips box is useless. I spent 2 years manning the phones at ntl and thought myself capable of getting any kit to work together but I think even if I can the steps to do it would be beyond her.

Ideally we want her on sky+ as it is easy but she wont subscribe and won't have us pay for it either. I saw an offer on sky the other day that was £75 box, install and 3 months free base mixes which you could cancel after the 3 months was up and use as free-sat.

If I get a 2nd hand sky+ box and pop in a larger hd and then get sky to add this to her account during the 3 months will it continue to run as a sky+ box after the free trial period?

Sorry for dropping this in the thread but it seemed along the same lines.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 18:35   #5
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
If I get a 2nd hand sky+ box and pop in a larger hd and then get sky to add this to her account during the 3 months will it continue to run as a sky+ box after the free trial period?

Sky+ functionality requires a Sky TV subscription, or a £10/month Sky+ subscription.

If the mixes are cancelled after the 3 month period, & the box is used as a "Freesat" box, then the Sky+ functions will be disabled (unless you pay £10/month for a Sky+ sub., or keep the mixes).
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 19:49   #6
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Hmmm looks like it could be a freeview hard drive recorder then.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote