Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | connecting HDD-DVD to Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

connecting HDD-DVD to Sky

Old 22-12-2008, 14:44   #1
MaureenHB
Inactive

MaureenHB is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face connecting HDD-DVD to Sky

Help! I am trying to connect my Phillips DVDR 5350H Hard drve/DVD player to my new Sky+ box.. I have tried scart leads from that to the Sky box, and no joy.. do I still need to use the old aerial connection too? i was hoping to do away with all that as one of the reasons for getting Sky is the fact that we have such poor tv reception. Any suggestions welcome, but keep it simple, I am a bit daft!
MaureenHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-12-2008, 15:11   #2
D_Skids
Inactive

D_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant future
Re: connecting HD DVD to Sky

Why do you want to connect it to the Sky + box rather than directly to the TV. Is it a shortage of connections on the TV? If so it may be better to get a switch box
D_Skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 15:47   #3
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice
Re: connecting HD DVD to Sky

Do you see a scart socket labeled AV2 Decoder/external (Normaly the bottom one but actualy the top one on your model)
thats were the scart leed needs to go from the sky plus box.
If you are watching the DVD then you don't need to watch SKY and the sky plus will record as normal. when you turn the DVD off, the SKY plus feed will be switched over instead so you can watch SKY plus.

Now this set up allows lots of options for backing up what is on the sky HDD
Via the philips DVD R you select AV2/ext2 then you play back the film/Tv show you want to burn to DVD or watch on the SKY box.
Now you can record it on a DVDR If there is not copy protection on the Film/tv....this will then allow you to watch the DVD back up on any DVD player and not just the limited to the version on the SKY plus box TV.
Now you can erase the film/Tv from the sky plus and have more room for more Films/Tv.
The problem with this is you end up with bucket loads of DVDR in your HOME and spend more time cataloging the DVDr then watching SKY.
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote