Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky HD output - maxxed to 1080i?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky HD output - maxxed to 1080i?

Old 05-02-2007, 16:40   #1
ldsdbomber
Inactive

ldsdbomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Sky HD output - maxxed to 1080i?

Ugh, I'd assumed that the Sky HD service would be able to output at 1080p for my new Sony Bravia KDL-x2000 (40") which supports 1080p I believe.

http://www.sonycentres.co.uk/product...131_7_168_4201

But after having had my HD box exchanged (the first one was broken), and seeing the guy set it up, it did not have 1080p as output, only 720p or 1080i.

Does this mean that there really isn't any 1080p output available in the UK yet? Will I need to buy even more kit at some point, or will it be a case of an upgraded SkyHD box somewhere down the line?

Am off now to try and do a comparison of 720p and 1080i, as I know that 720p is supposed to be better for motion (Sky Sports?) than still-like (Nat Geo?)
ldsdbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2007, 17:08   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Sky HD output - maxxed to 1080i?

This CF thread may help, re 1080i versus 720p.
Linky
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:17   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Moved to the Sky HD/+ forum....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_HD

Quote:
All HD channels are broadcast in the 1080i format (though the box can be set to scale this to 720p if the user wishes)
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:02   #4
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

1080p is not likely to become a broadcast standard for a good while yet. Waay to much bandwidth.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 19:20   #5
Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsdbomber View Post
Ugh, I'd assumed that the Sky HD service would be able to output at 1080p for my new Sony Bravia KDL-x2000 (40") which supports 1080p I believe.

http://www.sonycentres.co.uk/product...131_7_168_4201

But after having had my HD box exchanged (the first one was broken), and seeing the guy set it up, it did not have 1080p as output, only 720p or 1080i.

Does this mean that there really isn't any 1080p output available in the UK yet? Will I need to buy even more kit at some point, or will it be a case of an upgraded SkyHD box somewhere down the line?

Am off now to try and do a comparison of 720p and 1080i, as I know that 720p is supposed to be better for motion (Sky Sports?) than still-like (Nat Geo?)
As Matt D has already said, Sky use 1080i for the encoding. If you set your Sky box to output 720p then the STB is having to down sample the decoded 1080i image. You will get the best possible picture from the STB with 1080i setting as the box doesn't have to do the extra processing of the pictures.
The advantage in changing between 1080i and 720p comes at the encoding stage, not decoding.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:48   #6
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Also, a bit OT.

ldsdbomber, if you want to make full use of your nice big 1080p Bravia, then why not get the HD-DVD drive for your 360

Nice & cheap. Not anywhere near as expensive as buying a standalone HD-DVD player or Blu-ray Disc player.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...php?t=33605353
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 09:31   #7
awibble
Inactive

Services: FreeView FreeSat SKY+ (6 Mix) BT Phone (comming soon) V+ XL - TV XL - PHONE XL - BB SKY-MOV
awibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Also, a bit OT.

ldsdbomber, if you want to make full use of your nice big 1080p Bravia, then why not get the HD-DVD drive for your 360

Nice & cheap. Not anywhere near as expensive as buying a standalone HD-DVD player or Blu-ray Disc player.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...php?t=33605353
A Sony Bravia with a XBox360 :P

IMO, wait a few months, if you jsut want the player, as they will drop in price for christmas and yo will be able to get a blu-ray and hddvd player in one.
awibble is offline   Reply With Quote