Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Glass TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky Glass TV

Old 08-10-2021, 14:27   #31
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads
Re: Bye bye Virgin Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Tbf it's already in the open lol their iptv service lot of testing going on now so shouldn't be long before vm broadband customers can get it, then afterwards it'll be available to anyone with decent broadband (25mbs) is what they recommend although for sd 4mbs will be plenty.
Dammit, there's me hoping they were relaunching the Telly Tablet
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2021, 15:58   #32
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
We pretend that don't exist lol, mind you i saw one in a local cash converters the other day for £99 lol.
Old 08-10-2021, 17:36   #33
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Be better with Telly Tubbies..
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 18:08   #34
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
It's certainly an interesting proposition.

You're not locked into a 4 year contract for the TV service, but it's the term of the loan to cover the physical TV you're buying. It looks like there is a 2 year term and an option to pay outright.

The TV contract looks to be 31 days, however it's worth noting that there are only "up to 140 channels" available, with no indication which channels aside from the Sky portfolio. So whilst the monthly pricing seems quite reasonable, you're getting less for your money. But to be expected on a monthly contract.

Dolby Atmos and HDR look to require an extra £5 spend per month and there was some mention of ad skipping being included for free for the first 12 months, then £5 a month there after. But wasn't sure to what services the ad skipping would apply to - maybe recordings?

Sources
What you are locked into is Sky. Glass doesn’t operate with any other provider - if you cancel Sky, you will only be able to receive terrestrial TV, as long as you are connected to an aerial.

You will only get 140 channels on Glass because as I understand it, you will only be able to receive HD and UHD channels.

This TV is OK for Sky fanatics who will never cancel their Sky subscription, but for those who want to keep their options open - beware!
Old 08-10-2021, 18:37   #35
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Seems to me that with the price of these TV's you'd be better off buying a top notch Japanese built smart TV and a separate STB than having some cheaply built Chinese POS.
Old 08-10-2021, 18:48   #36
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

After discounting the +1 channels - it seems a lot of channels will not be available.

It may be a similar line-up to the SkyGO service which has quite a few missing - perhaps no streaming contract with the provder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You will only get 140 channels on Glass because as I understand it, you will only be able to receive HD and UHD channels.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 18:49   #37
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
What you are locked into is Sky. Glass doesn’t operate with any other provider - if you cancel Sky, you will only be able to receive terrestrial TV, as long as you are connected to an aerial.

This TV is OK for Sky fanatics who will never cancel their Sky subscription, but for those who want to keep their options open - beware!
I think the level of functionality that is disabled if you cancel your subscription needs clarifying by Sky. I don't understand how buyers can be prevented from using Glass with another provider (eg VM) unless the HDMI inputs are disabled.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 18:59   #38
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
I think the level of functionality that is disabled if you cancel your subscription needs clarifying by Sky. I don't understand how buyers can be prevented from using Glass with another provider (eg VM) unless the HDMI inputs are disabled.
Not sure they would do that as there are simple uses of the HDMI ports such as for a Bluray player and for gaming.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 19:07   #39
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Not sure they would do that as there are simple uses of the HDMI ports such as for a Bluray player and for gaming.
That's my thinking too.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 19:34   #40
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
It’s got an aerial socket (it’s freeview enabled), so there’s that as back-up.

That’s what we have on our Sony TV.
Surely most TV,: s have one ?

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
So I guess it is an ok way of getting a TV on interest free credit (although if you shop around Paypal Credit with some retailers do interest free)

I have to say again, Who made up the pricing? £1049 to buy the 65 inch model outright or pay £21 which is £1008 so buy it on terms save £40 and not see all the money go at once
Not seen any cost but could payments be 4 weekly ? ie 13 payments per year ? .
Old 08-10-2021, 19:52   #41
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Surely most TV,: s have one ?

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

Not seen any cost but could payments be 4 weekly ? ie 13 payments per year ? .
They also need to have a Freeview tuner - it wasn’t clear initially that Sky Glass had this.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 19:40   #42
MattGarner
cf.member

MattGarner is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The TV's do come with HDMI ports so I wouldn't say "locked in" - Assuming these ports would work for your DVD players, game consoles etc. So technically you could plug in a Virgin box if you really wanted to.
MattGarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 21:30   #43
andreww342003
cf.member

Services: BT Youview, Humax Freesat
andreww342003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sky Glass TV

Sky did previously release their own branded TV's back around 2003, they were simply cheap TV's with the Sky branding and only available from SkyBuy, Sky's interactive shop that was only available to Sky Digital. Those TVs could work with any provider, and I would be very surprised if this Sky Glass did not come with external HDMI for customers to connect their consoles or Blu-ray players, unless they intend to introduce some sort of Xbox Cloud or PlayStation Now app for that.

There were also Sky IDTV's from Panasonic and LG, the former also featured a Freeview tuner which Sky later abandoned, since these sets fell behind software upgrade releases. These TV's had built in internal Digibox's to compete with the ONdigital integrated TVs.

To be honest the lack of Sky Q support or any sort of satellite dish connectivity puts me off this, I don't like having everything going through one wire since if that fails your left with nothing, and I doubt this TV would be friendly to mobile data plans.
At least with Virgin the TV is somewhat separate from the broadband so if that goes down you can continue to watch the linear or recorded channels, just with no ondemand access. But with BT/TalkTalk TV since everything subscription related goes though the internet, your left with nothing but the Freeview channels. And there's the issue when trying to download a Steam game and watch a subscription channel at the same time, the TV service starts to break up since it cant handle the multicast channels whilst downloading, so I have to cap the Stream download to about 1 Mbps.
Basically we are not ready for IPTV just yet, at least for HD or 4K.

Last edited by andreww342003; 10-10-2021 at 21:33. Reason: Corrections
andreww342003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:28   #44
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Sky Glass TV

List of broadcast channels available on Sky Glass at launch
http://www.sky.com/help/articles/tv-...list-sky-glass
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:12   #45
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Seems to me that with the price of these TV's you'd be better off buying a top notch Japanese built smart TV and a separate STB than having some cheaply built Chinese POS.
I thought these were LG? Nothing wrong with LG TVs

But you are right for the price I would buy Hisense and save a few hundred quid

The next thing I buy by choice ie if my existing tv lasts is a short throw projector and one of those really nice none reflective screens but that is years off my pocket hahahaha
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote