Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 17:16   #10681
Peter N

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterWheel View Post
But it will prevent you from visiting phishing sites.
Wrong again!

Webwise does not prevent the user from visiting ANY sites. All it will do is highlight known phishisng sites and advises against visiting them.

This information comes directly from both Phorm and from BT.

To do this they simply purchase a list of suspect sites. Firefox and Internet Explorer already have and use these lists as do Norton and the other online security companies. In fact, most of these companies either produce or contribute to those lists themselves so their data is far more up to date than anything that Phorm will be using.

Advertisement
Old 01-07-2008, 17:18   #10682
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
I quote from the article "Some 8% of the total spam received during the experiment was classified as phishing e-mails"

So very relevant.
and your point is??

i like 95%+ of user have adequate anti-phishing builtin to my browser and have no need for phorms spyware in my ISP, and surprisingly i can tell if i get an email asking me to validate details for a bank that it is phishing as i refuse to use internet banking due to security issues of spyware and general crudware and i don't trust ISP's or banks on internet security with my banking details
Old 01-07-2008, 17:19   #10683
Peter N

Quote:
Thought I'd spelt it out pretty clearly, but here we go again for you.

Course Webwise won't stop phising spam email, but it WILL stop you going on the phishing sites and giving away all your security data. Which is the point of it !
Read my last post where you'll find the facts and then try doing some homework before you post again.

By the way, being sarcastic and patronising when you don't know what you are talking about is never a good idea.

Old 01-07-2008, 17:23   #10684
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Google has Phorm closing today, down again, at exactly £10. Keep the faith.

BT, Phorm - We're watching you watching us, and the good thing is - now we can even read some of your emails. Not nice is it?
Old 01-07-2008, 17:24   #10685
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

HamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notoriety

Sure, so phishing is not a problem then ??? And the existing systems to prevent it are foolproof.........

"Phishing fraud is a global problem: In the US, 3.6 million adult Internet users lost money from phishing attacks in the year prior to August 2007 - an increase of over 50%. And in recent years, an estimated £45.7 million was stolen from UK bank accounts through phishing attacks."
Old 01-07-2008, 17:27   #10686
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point

and Webwise will magically make it all ok ? open your eyes hammy.

The phishing feature was added on to counter the "Whats in it for me" and to be honest the free phishing filter isn't enough to make me want to be profiled and sold

The stupidity of people will never be overcome by laws and technology, human nature is a very funny thing.

DO NOT WANT.
Old 01-07-2008, 17:34   #10687
TheBruce1
Inactive

TheBruce1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterWheel
Who cares where Webwise get their anti-phisihing list from - as long as it is kept up to date, and the revenue generated by Phorm for the ISPs will mean it will be.
I do, if they are buying the database from a company that offers their product free, then why would i want webwise

Quote:
Yes there may be many anti-phishing tools around, but none that come FREE as standard and are subject to such regular updates as Webwise will be.
Many people do not shell out of anti-virus software - it is very expensive, Norton is over £30 a year ! Free Webwise from Phorm will be great for ISP customers who are not willing or able to spend the time and money keeping their PCs secure from attack.
Totally wrong, most PC will come with either Norton/Macfee pre-installed and since your aiming webwise at the newbie market they will continue to renew Norton/Mcafee.

Furthermore, programs such as Mcafee Siteadvisor, Tend-Protect and SiteHound will warn you before you even visit a phishing site, they can be downloaded for free, webwise does not come free either, you lose your privacy, no of the other tools will do that.

Webwise/Phorm is a con, i hope they go bust.
Old 01-07-2008, 17:37   #10688
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

HamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notoriety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deko View Post
and Webwise will magically make it all ok ?
It will certainly help a lot, and of course Phorm's main help is for the ISPs to make a few quid to help them expand bandwidth.

As this happens, those ISPs who do not sign up for Phorm or Phorm-alikes will find they can no longer compete on price with BT etc.
So people will gradually become accepting of Phorm, and realise it isn't as nasty as some make out. Like it or not, the majority of people trust the likes of BT and Virgin (not sure about Carphone Wharehouse !) so once presented with the facts, and not some of the hysterical jibbering that the anti-Phormers are postulating, they will be happy with it.
Of course Phorm are walking a tightrope, but as long as they keep their balance they will be fine.
Old 01-07-2008, 17:42   #10689
TheBruce1
Inactive

TheBruce1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It will certainly help a lot, and of course Phorm's main help is for the ISPs to make a few quid to help them expand bandwidth.
I doubt it, most likely many users will leave BT, VM and seek an ISP that does not need phorm`s spyware.

Quote:
As this happens, those ISPs who do not sign up for Phorm or Phorm-alikes will find they can no longer compete on price with BT etc.
So people will gradually become accepting of Phorm, and realise it isn't as nasty as some make out. Like it or not, the majority of people trust the likes of BT and Virgin (not sure about Carphone Wharehouse !) so once presented with the facts, and not some of the hysterical jibbering that the anti-Phormers are postulating, they will be happy with it.
Of course Phorm are walking a tightrope, but as long as they keep their balance they will be fine.
Once phorm goes live(if ever)and people start asking what phorm is, those prostituting ISP will be in deep doo-do, phorm has already fallen off the tightrope, all that is needed is the police and others to do their job.
Old 01-07-2008, 17:44   #10690
Cogster
Inactive

Cogster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

People trust BT? Where did you hear that?
Old 01-07-2008, 17:47   #10691
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All

I just got a phone call from Virgin Media call center, and it went something like this:

(Virgin) Hello is that Mr ****
(Me) Yes.
(Virgin) I see that you are on our Broadband.
(Me) Yes for the moment, but if Phorm Webwise is turned on I will be leaveing.
(Virgin) Why?
(Me) Because Phorm Webwise looks at all your emails and scrapes all the dater from the website.
(Virgin) It looks like you have a rootkit on your computer!
(Me) No, that is what Phorm Webwise does.
(Virgin) Phone put down.

Old 01-07-2008, 17:48   #10692
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogster View Post
People trust BT? Where did you hear that?
I heard that 3 or 4 people trusted them to provide their telephone and internet services.
Old 01-07-2008, 17:49   #10693
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Sure, so phishing is not a problem then ??? And the existing systems to prevent it are foolproof.........

"Phishing fraud is a global problem: In the US, 3.6 million adult Internet users lost money from phishing attacks in the year prior to August 2007 - an increase of over 50%. And in recent years, an estimated £45.7 million was stolen from UK bank accounts through phishing attacks."
No matter what Phorm-121 media offer now or in the future. They will never ever be trusted by anyone who knows what a bunch of low life scumbags they are, And it is my and others task in life at the moment to make sure that anyone we can warn against using webspy is warned NOT to go near it with a 10 foot barge pole.

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

Quote:
I heard that 3 or 4 people trusted them to provide their telephone and internet services.
Or Is that the amount of users that BT will have left after Phorm-121media's spyware system is activated on the BT network ?????

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Old 01-07-2008, 17:50   #10694
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

What a lot of bull

If Bt had used good managment over the years when they had no competition instead of patting each other on the bakx and paying themselves larger pay rises we wouldnt be where we are now.

BT are still in the fat cat syndrome any company that gives a pay rise in one year of £196,000 is in need of a large shake up and a no confidance vote from shareholders.

The tightrope you mention has already been swinging since the law has already been broken and there is no way that this phorm in its present phorm can be used legally, avoiding going to court by packing half truths and not allowing anyone to actually see the programs will not alter this since it cannot be legal until those people wronged in the stealth trials have been heard in court.

well I ma off to feed the family in the knowledge I am phorm free and will stay free from internet interception, cookie forging, website hijacking and copyright invaision to add to the privacy and human rights to not be invaided by adverts as you surf...
Old 01-07-2008, 17:50   #10695
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
He has motor neurone disease and despite this holds Newtons chair as the Lucasian professor of mathematics at Cambridge, he is regarded as the greatest scientific mind since Newton or Einstein.

I like his books.

We haven't found the irony yet...sorry mods, just a bit of morale boosting.
Gilmore and Walters didn't keep talking?
Closed Thread