Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wifi Range Extender

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Which network switch?

Old 07-02-2018, 21:50   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Which network switch?

My TP-Link 8-port switch has run out of ports, So I'm looking at getting a 16-port switch.

I'm stuck on which one of the following four to get?

The NETGEAR GS116UK Is a 2005 model
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0007SQE..._t1_B01ARQWHMK

The NETGEAR GS316-100UKS looks like a upto date of the GS116
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS3...70_&dpSrc=srch

Then lastly theres the TP-Link SG1016D
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003UWRY..._t2_B0007SQEPK

Which one is the best, I believe it's the TP-Link?

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

Just seen this one

TP-LINK TL-SG1016DE
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DBRPK..._t3_B003UWRYBI

Last edited by Hom3r; 07-02-2018 at 22:29.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2018, 22:32   #2
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Which network switch?

Why not buy a 4 or 8 port and plug it into your exist 8 port. They can be connected that way.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 22:35   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Why not buy a 4 or 8 port and plug it into your exist 8 port. They can be connected that way.
No spare power points.

Plus the 8-port will go behind the TV and connect to my powerline adapter.
Old 07-02-2018, 22:38   #4
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Are you running VLANs on your network, or need to run certain config on Layer 3? if not, you really don't need a managed switch. save your money and get the cheapest one. Layer 2 switching is all you need for home.
Old 07-02-2018, 22:43   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Its just a simple home network, smart TVs, TiVos, phones & tablets etc

I realised the last one is a managed one.