Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Need a router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Need a router

Old 06-05-2008, 23:27   #1
HardyUK
Inactive

HardyUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Need a router

Ok im on VM 2mb i have the cable modem i connect to my pc with ethernet but im getting annoyed that when i wanna go on my xbox 360 i have to shut my pc down so i wanna get a CHEAP router so i can connect to my pc and 360 at the same time. And how do i set it up do i leave my modem connected and plug a ethnet from modem into router then 360 wire into the router?
HardyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2008, 23:42   #2
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: Need a router

Surely one thread is sufficient? The linksys WRT54G is a popular choice around here.
Old 06-05-2008, 23:46   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Duplicate thread has been removed.

Assuming you have purchased a cable compatible router (not one with an ADSL modem):

Power everything (modem, router, PC, Xbox off), and disconnect any USB or ethernet cables between them.
connect ethernet modem to router WAN (internet)
connect ethernet router LAN (network) to PC
connect ethernet router LAN (network) to Xbox.

Fire up modem & let settle
Fire up router & let settle
Fire up PC and let settle
Fire up Xbox and let settle

That should be it.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:37   #4
cleshe
Inactive

Services: virgin 4Mbs ,now upgraded to 10Mbps
cleshe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardyUK View Post
Ok im on VM 2mb i have the cable modem i connect to my pc with ethernet but im getting annoyed that when i wanna go on my xbox 360 i have to shut my pc down so i wanna get a CHEAP router so i can connect to my pc and 360 at the same time. And how do i set it up do i leave my modem connected and plug a ethnet from modem into router then 360 wire into the router?
If cheap is the main bit, Aria have the following.
Safecom 54Mbps 4 Port Wireless Broadband Router 802.11g £14.95 plus VAT and postage.
How good it is, I have no idea.
How to connect already given by Rob.
If you want even cheaper, I have an Allied Telysys one I no longer use or need. It would work well enough for 2Mbps, basically it's useless for speeds above 4Mbps.If you'll pay the postage you're welcome to it. PM me if you're interested.
I replaced it with a D_Link DI-524 from PC World-- £31.30 including vat.
cleshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 14:13   #5
HardyUK
Inactive

HardyUK is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been looking at the linksys WRT54G does anyone know if this works with vista?
HardyUK is offline   Reply With Quote