Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upgrade planned?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upgrade planned?

Old 28-08-2021, 17:38   #1
linwelin
cf.addict

linwelin is on a distinguished roadlinwelin is on a distinguished road
Upgrade planned?

I wonder if any new upgrades are being planned soon? it seems like a while since we had one, tiers going to be upgraded I am hoping?
linwelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-08-2021, 21:01   #2
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Services: 1GB Volt, Telephone all Inclusive.
Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough
Re: Upgrade planned?

Since VM r beating down all other ISPs speed wise i don't think an upgrade would be on the books.
Corey N Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 21:14   #3
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey N Georgie View Post
Since VM r beating down all other ISPs speed wise i don't think an upgrade would be on the books.
In some areas yes, but they are being beaten more and more both on price and speeds by OR FTTP, Cityfibre, and all the other FTTP altnets.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 21:29   #4
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey N Georgie View Post
Erm, zoom in a bit on this map. Every coloured zone will be getting FTTP over the next few years if they don't already have it. That's a fairly decent chunk of competition, especially given the already completed areas are in many VM areas already.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broa...ibre-broadband

Last edited by Skie; 28-08-2021 at 22:10. Reason: no map :p
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 21:29   #5
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
In some areas yes, but they are being beaten more and more both on price and speeds by OR FTTP, Cityfibre, and all the other FTTP altnets.
Exactly why I'm not bothering with gig1 and waiting for cityfibre to finish my area
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 23:46   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Every coloured zone will be getting FTTP over the next few years if they don't already have it.
Well that sucks, all the areas around us are getting it, we are not.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 00:36   #7
linwelin
cf.addict

I came just came across this, no idea if any truth to it would be really nice if true though.

https://www.t3.com/news/all-virgin-m...ibre-broadband
Old 29-08-2021, 01:08   #8
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by linwelin View Post
i came just came across this, no idea if any truth to it would be really nice if true though.

https://www.t3.com/news/all-virgin-m...ibre-broadband
From July 25, 2019.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 09:20   #9
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Given that they have promised everyone will have 1gbit by xmas I imagine they'll be announcing something new in November which will start rolling out in spring. They need to maintain the impression that they are always innovative and moving forward and they made a big flap about docsis 3.1 a couple of years ago and said it would take a couple of years to start deploying it and get the cpe ready and bits in place and that couple of years is up. It is time to take a leap, give everyone a shub with a 2.5gbit port on it and migrate everyone everyone to docsis 3.1. I remember when I was one of the few on docsis 3 when it first came out and they moved everyone else across and now it is time to do it again.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 13:14   #10
linwelin
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Given that they have promised everyone will have 1gbit by xmas I imagine they'll be announcing something new in November which will start rolling out in spring. They need to maintain the impression that they are always innovative and moving forward and they made a big flap about docsis 3.1 a couple of years ago and said it would take a couple of years to start deploying it and get the cpe ready and bits in place and that couple of years is up. It is time to take a leap, give everyone a shub with a 2.5gbit port on it and migrate everyone everyone to docsis 3.1. I remember when I was one of the few on docsis 3 when it first came out and they moved everyone else across and now it is time to do it again.
I wonder if that is why they giving out free Hub 4's??

Last edited by linwelin; 29-08-2021 at 13:44.
Old 29-08-2021, 13:49   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
I wonder i that is why they giving out free Hub 4's??
the shubs have and always will be free because VM need to provide accessibility to their network (modem). Hopefully production has caught up post covid disruption and it is now best practise to swap out all shubs with a shub 4. I really do hope that a shub 5 will come out next year with 2.5gbit ports. VM must be working on it now because they have hit a limit for the first time in about 20 years. They can't increase the speed on the services they offer until they provide a shub with greater than 1gbit ports. I imagine they are pulling their hair out thinking about it because the other thing they need to do is educate customers because 99.9% of people are going to continue to have gigabit nics in their pcs/laptops etc for many years to come and you can just imagine the calls to tech support with customers saying they can only get 800mbits on their 2gbit connection which is less than half the speed. I think it is going to have to be a combination of an easy to digest email upon tier signup as well as troubleshooting guides on the website and probably lengthy and annoying voice messages you have to listen to when you ring up tech support before they put you through to someone.
Old 29-08-2021, 13:56   #12
linwelin
cf.addict

Quote:
the shubs have and always will be free because VM need to provide accessibility to their network (modem). Hopefully production has caught up post covid disruption and it is now best practise to swap out all shubs with a shub 4. I really do hope that a shub 5 will come out next year with 2.5gbit ports. VM must be working on it now because they have hit a limit for the first time in about 20 years. They can't increase the speed on the services they offer until they provide a shub with greater than 1gbit ports. I imagine they are pulling their hair out thinking about it because the other thing they need to do is educate customers because 99.9% of people are going to continue to have gigabit nics in their pcs/laptops etc for many years to come and you can just imagine the calls to tech support with customers saying they can only get 800mbits on their 2gbit connection which is less than half the speed. I think it is going to have to be a combination of an easy to digest email upon tier signup as well as troubleshooting guides on the website and probably lengthy and annoying voice messages you have to listen to when you ring up tech support before they put you through to someone.
In my experience, they have always charged to upgrade to a new hub unless of course, you need it because you have upgraded speed and you need the new hub. I was offered the hub4 and I downgraded to 200MB so I didn't need the hub4 to my knowledge.
Old 29-08-2021, 14:14   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
they have always charged to upgrade to a new hub
Old 29-08-2021, 14:21   #14
linwelin
cf.addict

Quote:
Strange as i have always had to pay for one o.O
Old 30-08-2021, 02:30   #15
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Services: 1GB Volt, Telephone all Inclusive.
Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough

Ive also had to pay £35 upgrade fee for new hub and so did dad.
Corey N Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote