Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 09:40   #7111
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Essentially the straw which he is, without much dignity, clutching to is that the 207 reported didn’t necessarily die the day before. Or in a 24 hour window at all.

The same point has been made throughout yet that doesn’t change the fact they are dead, and there have always been anomalies in reporting around weekends and public holidays.

It seems a waste of all that privilege Pierre has to use it up with such pedantry in a lame, failed attempt at outwitting us minions. Yet here we are.
By this stage in the year, we have had other bank holidays to compare such results to so if that's the highest total so far, and it's significantly higher, then something is going on.

But assuming for one moment the article was misleading, using one article to condemn all mainstream media is illogical and contradicts the advice to not judge a book on what the author has previously written.
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2021, 10:42   #7112
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
By this stage in the year, we have had other bank holidays to compare such results to so if that's the highest total so far, and it's significantly higher, then something is going on.

But assuming for one moment the article was misleading, using one article to condemn all mainstream media is illogical and contradicts the advice to not judge a book on what the author has previously written.
To be honest I think you’re giving too much weight to the idea that Pierre is using a considered approach to his posts, rather than doing so with the sole objective of being contrary or controversial.

Last edited by jfman; 02-09-2021 at 10:47.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:40   #7113
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
you've failed to explain why the article is wrong.
The article clearly is trying to put forward the narrative that there has been a massive increase in deaths. When there hasn't it is just due to the lumpy nature of the stats being recorded over several days of a bank holiday. Where death actually fell over the period, not increased.

I though that was obvious.

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
To be honest I think you’re giving too much weight to the idea that Pierre is using a considered approach to his posts, rather than doing so with the sole objective of being contrary or controversial.
Are you two going to stop dancing around the tension between you and just get a room already.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:19   #7114
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
The article clearly is trying to put forward the narrative that there has been a massive increase in deaths. When there hasn't it is just due to the lumpy nature of the stats being recorded over several days of a bank holiday. Where death actually fell over the period, not increased.

I though that was obvious.
Surely a written piece either puts forward a narrative or it doesn’t.

The subtitle says that deaths have been steadily rising since June - something that is clearly demonstrably true. I appreciate the truth is uncomfortable for you, and that as you tell us so often you don’t care that might leave your attention to detail lacking.

I find it’s often helpful to read articles, rather than to forward my pre-conceived, persistently proven wrong narratives because despite all my self-styled privilege I’m bored.

Quote:
Are you two going to stop dancing around the tension between you and just get a room already.
Another valuable contribution to the thread.

Last edited by jfman; 02-09-2021 at 12:37.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:20   #7115
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

They remind me of any program featuring Ant & Dec . . . where the adverts have more content than the show itself
Old 02-09-2021, 14:22   #7116
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Everytime I come on here I seem to miss about 10 pages of posts but somehow everyone is still arguing about the exact same things.
Old 02-09-2021, 18:18   #7117
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Everytime I come on here I seem to miss about 10 pages of posts but somehow everyone is still arguing about the exact same things.
Old 02-09-2021, 18:29   #7118
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

So much for vaccinations being the solution.
Link
Quote:
Israel has recorded its highest daily number of coronavirus cases with nearly 11,000 new infections, amid a surge caused by the highly transmissible Delta variant as schools prepare to re-open.
About 60% of Israel’s 9.3 million residents have received two shots of the vaccine, including 80% of adults.
Several measures have since been reimposed, including mask wearing indoors, limits on gatherings and the need to present proof of vaccination for entry to certain facilities.
Old 02-09-2021, 18:42   #7119
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Welcome back to the Brexit, sorry Coronavirus, thread.

---------- Post added at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
So much for vaccinations being the solution.
Link
Do you think a UK winter lockdown is likely then?
Old 02-09-2021, 18:56   #7120
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
TBF if this was your first visit since 2004 you could say much the same thing.
Old 02-09-2021, 19:37   #7121
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Says he, rubbing his hands with glee.
Old 02-09-2021, 19:42   #7122
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Welcome back to the Brexit, sorry Coronavirus, thread.

---------- Post added at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

I don't. But then Boris is U-turn Meister.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 02-09-2021, 19:43   #7123
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I certainly don't want that, I love my Winter pubs with dark real ales and open fires.
Old 02-09-2021, 19:44   #7124
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Nobody is gleeful about lockdown, OB. We all want a sustainable way out of this that supports both public health and the economy. Well, apart from two notable exceptions for whom public health comes a distant second.

It’d be helpful if you didn’t misrepresent the position of others - it’d avoid the circular discussion that Damien alludes to a few posts back where people have to unnecessarily restate their well known and established positions.

Last edited by jfman; 02-09-2021 at 20:15.
Old 02-09-2021, 20:27   #7125
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

At this point, I think it's worth looking at the vaccine as a head start of getting COVID to reach endemic status as opposed to pandemic status. It's not going away and it's likely we'll all get it at some point.

When we do get it however we'll all be in a better position to cope with it. Fewer people will get symptoms, of those that do fewer will have it badly or get long COVID, of those that do fewer will be hospitalised and of those who are fewer still will die. Once you've had a natural infection and the vaccine the immunity levels will be even higher. COVID will be endemic.

We can't get rid of it so the question around any further restrictions will have to be what does this gain us? If it's just a delay then what's the point? The only justification is to act as a brake on hospitalisations if the numbers spike at the same time as flu season. Even then the Government will need a good argument as to why this would be 'one last push' and why they'll be better prepared for Winter 2022.
Closed Thread