Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | E10 petrol - the pitfalls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

E10 petrol - the pitfalls.

Old 17-09-2021, 21:52   #31
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: E10 petrol - the pitfalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Link
Link
It's another example of a misleading set of environmental claims. Same as calling electric vehicles, "zero-emission". The emissions occur elsewhere.
It's meant to reduce CO2 output by the engines, but misses out the bit that producing the ethanol, also produces CO2.

Which is then likely to be used by various industries(food production, brewing) and released into the atmosphere anyway.
So how do you like to get transported from A to B, and how do you carbon offset it Mr/Ms/Miss/Mrs Nomadking?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-09-2021, 22:08   #32
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
So how do you like to get transported from A to B, and how do you carbon offset it Mr/Ms/Miss/Mrs Nomadking?
What's that got to do with my post?
The claim is that as Ethanol has less carbon than the petrol it is replacing, it therefore produces less CO2. CO2 is effectively "extracted" in the production of the Ethanol. It might even be the case than more CO2 is produced overall.
The central problem with using Ethanol, is that it absorbs water, and that can damage engines. You can't distil 100% Ethanol.
Link
Quote:
With that said, ethanol is hygroscopic, which is a pocket-protector way of saying that it readily takes up water. In fact, if you poured 50mL of pure ethanol into a glass and then added 50mL of pure, distilled water, you’d only end up with about 96mL of solution (and a pretty rubbish cocktail), due to the fact that water and ethanol get in close and form bonds, much like people do after exposure to ethanol.
The problem for your car is that water – outside of your radiator and wiper bottle – is generally a bad thing, rusting and corroding delicate fuel system and engine parts that were never designed to come anywhere near water. And if you drive infrequently, extra ethanol in your tank will absorb extra water from the atmosphere and separate the fuel into straight petrol and an alcohol-water mix. The ethanol-water mix will sink to the bottom of the tank, and then, if you ever run low on petrol, you’ll pump water-diluted alcohol into your engine. And no one likes watered down booze.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 14:20   #33
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My niece has a Ford Ka, (which has a Fiat 500 engine in it),
The other week she filled up and got a warning light show up, she took it to a guy who asked had she filled up, he plugged the car in but nothing showed up.

We've told her to put E5 in, then told her I put ultimate diesel in at £1.50 a litre, and cried when my last fill was £78.
Old 19-09-2021, 14:38   #34
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
The other week she filled up and got a warning light show up, she took it to a guy who asked had she filled up, he plugged the car in but nothing showed up.

We've told her to put E5 in, then told her I put ultimate diesel in at £1.50 a litre, and cried when my last fill was £78.
Diesel into a petrol car?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 15:06   #35
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
That'll be the big end warning light.
Old 19-09-2021, 16:44   #36
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I was wondering about that as well.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 11:03   #37
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
That'll be the big end warning light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I was wondering about that as well.

No, I was saying that E5 is now BP Ultimate Petrol, and that I pay £1.50 a litre for mine
Old 20-09-2021, 11:39   #38
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
No, I was saying that E5 is now BP Ultimate Petrol, and that I pay £1.50 a litre for mine
Except you didn't.

Quote:

pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 11:54   #39
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Except that he did!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 12:04   #40
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Except that he did!
Is it panto season already Seph?

Oh no he didn't!
Old 20-09-2021, 12:21   #41
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Is it panto season already Seph?

Oh no he didn't!
Oh yes he did, Pip. The comma governs.

Old 20-09-2021, 13:11   #42
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Oh yes he did, Pip. The comma governs.
The comma does not negate the use of the word diesel.
Old 20-09-2021, 13:57   #43
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
The comma does not negate the use of the word diesel.
It delineates, in meaning, which car took diesel and which car took petrol. Clear as daylight and Brexit.

Old 20-09-2021, 14:04   #44
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I love a bit of forum pedantry as much as anyone but can we move the topic along please …
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 14:20   #45
Sephiroth
Simples

I regard E10 as an ill judged piece of pedantry on the part of the climate warriors in government. The potential damages to cars if you leave it fallow for a month ranks also with the price gouging cost of E5 Super.

It's like the latest shock horror that Asthma inhalers are a major contributor to Climate Change. I'll put that into the other thread.