Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 26-04-2013, 00:19   #1021
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
My granddad turns 93 this year, he has a HDD freeview recorder and is able to operate very competently. Essentially, all he has to do is push the up, down, left, right ok/enter keys (to set up series links, record programs watch recordings and delete recordings). With a wishlist all people have to do is follow the same process and push the same buttons, except they will push the same buttons on to different letters to spell out names of actors, directors or films. Please tell me how a wishlist is complicated?

My parents are in their 50's and can send text messages, surf the internet and work a Sky+ remote control and box.

That is two separate eras who can use modern technology. Which era is the one that finds moving a cursor on a screen by using arrows on a remote control difficult to spell out words difficult?

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

LOL, my parents also have an ipad, and can use a digital camera too

When my Nan was still alive and my Grandad still helped out on the farm he used to work on, he used a mobile phone too, just incase he needed it on Nan needed to ring him urgently. He was in his 80's at the time.
You're lucky!

My parents are in their 50's also but they're useless.
coulsontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-04-2013, 00:30   #1022
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I can categorically assure you that there are people in their 60's that can set up a Whishlist.
Thanks. I am actually aware. But I think you're missing the point, possibly because it was made in an apparently ageist manner . Of course it's wrong to generalise and say all people of a certain age will find TiVo confusing. But that doesn't mean it's not true to say that some people do struggle with the tech involved.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 00:39   #1023
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Thanks. I am actually aware. But I think you're missing the point, possibly because it was made in an apparently ageist manner . Of course it's wrong to generalise and say all people of a certain age will find TiVo confusing. But that doesn't mean it's not true to say that some people do struggle with the tech involved.
For clarification, I never said that all old people can't use TiVo.

The use of the word "others" was meant in terms of people in the household other than myself.
Old 26-04-2013, 07:11   #1024
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I can categorically assure you that there are people in their 60's that can set up a Whishlist.
Indeed as my parents do it all the time once they had learned all the ropes.
Old 26-04-2013, 14:37   #1025
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

BT wins right to take Sky Sports price ruling to court of appeal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...ts-price-bskyb

Quote:
BT has won the right to take a ruling by the competition regulator that stopped BSkyB being forced to offer Sky Sports 1 and 2 to rival TV services at a discount of up to 23% to the court of appeal.

Last summer, the Competition Appeal Tribunal handed down a scathing judgment concluding that the basis of media regulator Ofcom's decision to force BSkyB to cut the amount it charges rivals to air Sky Sports channels was "unfounded".

BT challenged this decision at the court of appeal and on Friday was given the right to lodge an appeal. The court granted BT the right on the grounds that the CAT failed to investigate the issue of the level of discounts that BSkyB claimed it gave rivals on the ratecard price to air its sports channels.
Old 26-04-2013, 16:43   #1026
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Van Persie joins BT Sport's dream team! United striker to appear alongside Bale in ambitious broadcaster's ad campaign.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz2RaHp08cs

BT Group plc vs SKY Sports : "Like a war without the killing" + BT bundle would need to be GBP 10 cheaper say consumers.

http://www.economy-news.co.uk/shares...ressure-453543

Quote:
Headline results from Nomura's survey on interest in BT Sports

29% expressed interest in subscribing to BT Sports.

33% would pay GBP 10 or more per month. 51% would pay GBP 5 p.m.

Only 7% would look to switch to BT if BT keeps BT Sports exclusive.

27% of Sky subscribers and 37% of VMED users might move TV and broadband to BT if BT were cheaper. The majority said the BT bundle would need to be GBP 10 cheaper or the Sports channels given free.

Only 4% said they were likely to move to Pay TV in the next 12 months.

17% said they were likely to upgrade to high-speed broadband in the next year, with interest greatest with Sky and Talk Talk users. Matt has upgraded Sky fibre projections with his report, and we remain confident that the BT Sports launch will help to accelerate the pace of fibre adoption in the UK – a key driver of Openreach valuation.
Old 26-04-2013, 17:28   #1027
coulsontom
Inactive

Be great if BT went bust tbh. They're wasting loads of money on footballers. What will they add to coverage?
Old 26-04-2013, 17:43   #1028
Jameseh

Nothing, BT seem to enjoy pouring money down the drain.
Old 26-04-2013, 17:44   #1029
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
They have the money but not the brains or nous in my opinion.
Old 26-04-2013, 19:42   #1030
coulsontom
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
They have the money but not the brains or nous in my opinion.
They're going at it the wrong way.

Gary Neville has been a revelation on Sky. Fresher than Andy Gray and has managed to dismiss any impartiality claims he may have had.

Souness is also very good as he is forthright which is what people want, not people to use limited "football speak" or offer no opinion.

BBC have an awful collection of "pundits". Hansen, Lawrenson are so old hat it's not true. Shearer is awful, and the likes of Dion Dublin and Michael Owen leave you not remembering a single word they have said.

BT employing current footballers will just never work, because you have to have pundits willing to speak they're mind, otherwise they don't connect to the viewer at all.

It's what makes Brian Moore excellent on the Rugby, and Roy Keane is very watchable on ITV (even if he has had questionable moments in his career).

As long as they steer clear of Niall Quinn, god that man is awful.
Old 26-04-2013, 21:55   #1031
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Perhaps you could give them lessons . My Mother is 89 I have taught her how to use her Sky plus box and now she wants an ipad and broadband so that she can facebook the relatives in Canada and Australia. Just shows your never to old to learn.

Well said sir, well said!
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 23:51   #1032
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Just noticed that Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat for the IBF title is on ESPN America on 03rd August. I've had ESPN for 4 years now, and this may be the biggest fight ESPN Friday Fight Night has ever shown in the UK..... 3 days after BT take control of the channel
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 13:59   #1033
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Quote:
They do not seem to understand than good footballers do not always good pundits make....
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 19:42   #1034
Lostlam
Inactive

Lostlam will become famous soon enoughLostlam will become famous soon enoughLostlam will become famous soon enough

Any idea if ESPN are planning to show any of the second round matches from the Copa Libertadores, as they showed a match every week during the group stages?
Lostlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 20:04   #1035
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well let's face it, if anyone can it's BT.
tvtimes is offline   Reply With Quote