Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The what's for dinner thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The what's for dinner thread

Old 07-10-2004, 22:49   #1
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude
The what's for dinner thread

It just dawned on me that nobody has mentioned what they're cooking / cooked for dinner, tea, call it what you want ???

So here goes, Tonight I cooked 2 meals ( kids )

1 ) Pasta with cajun chicken in a hot and sour sauce

2 ) Rice with garlic chicken in a garlic and mustard sauce

Now, I cooked for 4 peeps ( just enough ) when the g/f's youngest decided she was coming over

What did I end up with ?????????? Ox tail not everyones cup of tea but to me, mothers milk

So, what did you have / make tonight ?????
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2004, 22:50   #2
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Re: The Whats cooking thread

I did a buffet sort of thing for all the family coming over (except for the youngest who is at uni )
And chocolate birthday cake!
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 22:53   #3
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera
I did a buffet sort of thing for all the family coming over (except for the youngest who is at uni )
And chocolate birthday cake!
Oh yeah, birthday cake, was that cake or cakes ( for all the candles )

Happy b/day Chim
Old 07-10-2004, 22:54   #4
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

it was something from morries , spicy chicken and fries

and for me it was a garlic cheese bread
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 22:56   #5
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopdude
Oh yeah, birthday cake, was that cake or cakes ( for all the candles )

Happy b/day Chim
Thanks Bop - one cake and no candles - at my age with that many, the icing would melt!
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 22:57   #6
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Hash browns, salad, and steak cooked to perfection. Bloody that is
Old 07-10-2004, 23:01   #7
bopdude
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
steak cooked to perfection. Bloody that is
I'm one of the fortunate ones, I can eat my steak all ways and enjoy it, at the mo i'm leaning towards medium well
Old 07-10-2004, 23:09   #8
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

I had my Grandad over tonight so: me, my brother and our grandad had steak & kidney pie with mash and green beans while my mum & dad had chicken with rice. For dessart we had mince pies with custard.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 23:10   #9
homealone

Quote:
I'm one of the fortunate ones, I can eat my steak all ways and enjoy it, at the mo i'm leaning towards medium well
it has to be at least, warm, so a 'nearly raw' steak has to be small & tender?

but, yes, medium well, especially when that means the inside is still 'pink', while the outside is 'slightly charred' -
Old 07-10-2004, 23:12   #10
bopdude
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A
I had my Grandad over tonight so: me, my brother and our grandad had steak & kidney pie with mash .
Pie an' mash.... nout wrong
Old 07-10-2004, 23:14   #11
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

Been to Blackpool for the day with friend from work so cooked sod all, we went in Yates's for rump steak with all the trimmings

now feeling a bit peckish so stuck some hash browns in with loads of salt on
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 23:18   #12
bopdude
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone

but, yes, medium well, especially when that means the inside is still 'pink', while the outside is 'slightly charred' -
I was shown a way to cook a steak on a braai ( bar b que ) that i've not been able to reproduce. The method is simple enough, but it must just be experience / timing, produces a rare steak, but well cooked on the outside

It goes like this, get your bbq well lit, make an oil based marinade and soak the steak, when the flames of the bbq are well above the grill slap the steak on, leave for 30 seconds, soak in marinade again and slap on, other side of course. Sounds easy ( flame grilled steak ) try it and see.

I loved it, just can't get it right
Old 07-10-2004, 23:28   #13
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone

Warm is nice yes , but I like the inside to be red rather than pink. Unfortunately, in this country it's virtually impossible to get that in a restaurant. I order rare, and 9/10 times it's not even pink
Old 07-10-2004, 23:32   #14
bopdude
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
Warm is nice yes , but I like the inside to be red rather than pink. Unfortunately, in this country it's virtually impossible to get that in a restaurant. I order rare, and 9/10 times it's not even pink
If / when eating out I always like my steak plate warm/hot, there's nothing worse IMO than getting half way through a rare steak, only for it to go cold
Old 07-10-2004, 23:34   #15
homealone

Quote:
I was shown a way to cook a steak on a braai ( bar b que ) that i've not been able to reproduce. The method is simple enough, but it must just be experience / timing, produces a rare steak, but well cooked on the outside

It goes like this, get your bbq well lit, make an oil based marinade and soak the steak, when the flames of the bbq are well above the grill slap the steak on, leave for 30 seconds, soak in marinade again and slap on, other side of course. Sounds easy ( flame grilled steak ) try it and see.

I loved it, just can't get it right
30 seconds each side sounds a bit too raw, but otherwise I'm drooling