Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

Old 30-03-2013, 17:23   #6361
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

Doing my weekly voluntary work (Which is the church newsletter) - I /almost/ feel useful

Planning the next Sunday School too.

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Well having gone through the rigmarole of upgrading my Sony laptop the backlight started flickering and you could hear a frying noise on one side and it was getting hot there, so hot that the display was going dark in the corner. So I took the chance and dismantled the display knowing that it wasn't going to fix itself and would fail fairly soon anyway. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Turns out the wire to one end of the small flourescent tube that gives the backlight had burnt through. Had to bend the bezel at the bottom to get it out to solder the end back on as I didn't want to disturb the main circuit board at the top and the myriad connections there to the actual display glass. Everything is soo delicate, I wondered if it would ever work again but it does.

There's a little bit of unevenness at the extreme bottom but I can live with that for a fixed machine.
Excellent

I find too many people these days telling me 'It can't be fixed' - Pah unless they try who knows
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2013, 17:25   #6362
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Well having gone through the rigmarole of upgrading my Sony laptop the backlight started flickering and you could hear a frying noise on one side and it was getting hot there, so hot that the display was going dark in the corner. So I took the chance and dismantled the display knowing that it wasn't going to fix itself and would fail fairly soon anyway. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Turns out the wire to one end of the small flourescent tube that gives the backlight had burnt through. Had to bend the bezel at the bottom to get it out to solder the end back on as I didn't want to disturb the main circuit board at the top and the myriad connections there to the actual display glass. Everything is soo delicate, I wondered if it would ever work again but it does.

There's a little bit of unevenness at the extreme bottom but I can live with that for a fixed machine.
nice one
Old 30-03-2013, 18:30   #6363
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Thanks guys. The engineer in me won't accept that something cannot be repaired unless it is really a lost cause: The last one being the kitchen TV whose scan coils developed a short circuit. Finito. But I did replace it with a nice HD DVD combo unit

The biggest problem these days it trying to work out how to get things apart without wrecking something. I have a comprehensive security bit set but they still come up with a new wheeze now and then. Screws hidden under sticky labels or rubber feet is a common one.
See, now that's something I didn't have before the PS3 incident

I do now though
Old 03-04-2013, 10:12   #6364
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

I'm so pleased with our new carpets it's like living in a new house.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13   #6365
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

that sounds nice and comfortable :-)
Old 03-04-2013, 15:34   #6366
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Indeed it is lovely when we use something new.
Old 03-04-2013, 15:36   #6367
tizmeinnit

Quote:
I would love to do some serious work on my living room but there is so much stuff in here and I have nowhere to put it to do a proper job
Old 03-04-2013, 15:39   #6368
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
I would love to do some serious work on my living room but there is so much stuff in here and I have nowhere to put it to do a proper job
I know the feeling, we're hoping to paint this year, hoping to just move everything into the centre of the room and do one wall at a time. We don't have any spare rooms to move anything to. Same with the carpets, we'll have to just do one room at a time.
Old 03-04-2013, 15:43   #6369
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I know the feeling, we're hoping to paint this year, hoping to just move everything into the centre of the room and do one wall at a time. We don't have any spare rooms to move anything to. Same with the carpets, we'll have to just do one room at a time.
What I did instead of a new carpet I bought a large piece of carpet and had the edges bound like a huge rug
Old 03-04-2013, 17:44   #6370
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Over in UK for a few days only. Happy thought -Flight to the States will not be snowed in. And arranged for the puppy to come over as well
Old 03-04-2013, 17:50   #6371
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Over in UK for a few days only. Happy thought -Flight to the States will not be snowed in. And arranged for the puppy to come over as well
Nice to see a old marra well and happy.
Old 03-04-2013, 20:27   #6372
Tinky
To err is human

Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It took a week of plastering, painting, repapering and general spring cleaning before we were ready for the carpet, but I reckon it was well worth it.

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL

What is your verdict?
Old 03-04-2013, 20:31   #6373
tizmeinnit

bet you do not come down them stairs in socks lol
Old 03-04-2013, 20:35   #6374
Tinky
To err is human

No way tizme, but it has plenty of places to hang onto going up after a few vimtos lol!
Old 03-04-2013, 20:37   #6375
denphone
Still alive and fighting

That's looks very nice indeed Tinky but can we arrange a Cable Forum party there please.