Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media UK to remove V+ HD Boxes from network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media UK to remove V+ HD Boxes from network

Old 15-03-2019, 19:35   #31
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media UK to remove V+ HD Boxes from network

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
It's not a network change as I understand it, as I mentioned above the box is doing less.
And to think VM used to blame the BBC for all iPlayer issues on Tivo ! I think the Beeb are due an apology....
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-03-2019, 20:00   #32
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
And to think VM used to blame the BBC for all iPlayer issues on Tivo ! I think the Beeb are due an apology....
Given iPlayer app uses BBC servers, their servers are part of the equation, but I think the original VM Tivo hardware was pushed to its limits by the complexity of both the Tivo OS and the iPlayer app itself. The app and OS needed more memory (I don't mean hard disk) and/or faster processor to properly do their job. Which the V6 has, and the difference is obvious and significant.

The blame isn't all one party's fault.

As memory prices fell I often thought it might have been worth VM's while to get engineers to slot in extra RAM. Sure the processor would have been the same but it might have been a cost effective way to alleviate customer complaints. A stopgap of sorts.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 20:42   #33
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
As memory prices fell I often thought it might have been worth VM's while to get engineers to slot in extra RAM
Nice idea, but the memory is soldered in.

The first Pace boxes actually did have memory on SIMMs, but still couldn't be field upgraded for electrical safety reasons. Once the case has been opened, the box needs to be PAT tested again.

We did once consider extending memory via the USB port, but it wasn't really viable.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 23:01   #34
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Nice idea, but the memory is soldered in.
I've heard of this before with consumer electronics, it doesn't surprise me.
Quote:
The first Pace boxes actually did have memory on SIMMs, but still couldn't be field upgraded for electrical safety reasons. Once the case has been opened, the box needs to be PAT tested again.
Though this doesn't surprise me either, I kinda thought maybe the engineers would be qualified for this. I remember a guy going around one of my old workplaces testing stuff.
Quote:
We did once consider extending memory via the USB port, but it wasn't really viable.
Sounds like ReadyBoost in Windows.
Old 16-03-2019, 11:27   #35
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The blame isn't all one party's fault.
Most "VM" faults are actually due to external parties, because external parties do most of the work. They provide all the hardware, almost all of the software, and they own and/or manage most of the servers.

However, you pay VM to provide the service, so its up to VM to get the supplier to resolve any faults.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 12:10   #36
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
..only if you had a battery TV.
True, but I was thinking more along the lines of back up batteries would have allowed the box to carry on recording...but it wasn't a PVR!

Actually, this would be a good idea for the V6/TiVo.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 13:21   #37
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
True, but I was thinking more along the lines of back up batteries would have allowed the box to carry on recording...but it wasn't a PVR!

Actually, this would be a good idea for the V6/TiVo.
Depends if the local optical node & any powered amp cabinets remain outside the area that loses power, otherwise all you will get is a recording of “no signal on this channel”.

When our house loses power everything goes out except the phones, as there is an amp cabinet around the corner we rely on.

Last edited by nodrogd; 18-03-2019 at 13:24.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 13:28   #38
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Depends if the local optical node & any powered amp cabinets remain outside the area that loses power, otherwise all you will get is a recording of “no signal on this channel”.

When our house loses power everything goes out except the phones, as there is an amp cabinet around the corner we rely on.
I always assumed that VM wouldn't use localised power for their network so it wouldn't be affected, in much the same way that BT phones continue to work when there's a local power cut. Is this not the case??

Talking of phones, when VM move us over to VOIP our phones will go down too (though there are provisions for vulnerable customers).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 13:32   #39
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Aren't landlines legally obliged to have this capability so they work in an emergency?
(Though if you only have a cordless then this is irrelevant, as the base stations don't have power in a powercut usually. Always have a wired landline phone in the cupboard nearest the landline phone is my advice.)
Old 18-03-2019, 13:40   #40
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

There is updated guidance for that:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultatio...ions-power-cut
Old 18-03-2019, 16:00   #41
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I always assumed that VM wouldn't use localised power for their network so it wouldn't be affected, in much the same way that BT phones continue to work when there's a local power cut. Is this not the case??

Talking of phones, when VM move us over to VOIP our phones will go down too (though there are provisions for vulnerable customers).
Standard BT lines go straight back to the exchange, VM telco lines go to the hub cabs. Don't know if BT Fibre cabs have UPS units.

There is a UPS in our VM node cabinet, which is over half a mile away. The amp cab round the corner, where the cable splits 4 times to different slave cab locations has no backup, just a mains transformer. I gather the VoIP backup VM has uses the mobile network, which we would all have to use anyway.

Last edited by nodrogd; 18-03-2019 at 16:39.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 15:37   #42
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Media Boy Sources has given me an update

My Source will be getting an new TiVo via the Mail order company on sometime next week.

And also the home page was updated YESTERDAY for the first time since August.

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Can anyone tell me if you do not have internet will TiVo still work?
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 15:39   #43
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Can anyone tell me if you do not have internet will TiVo still work?
TiVo does yes. You can't get a V6 unless you also have Virgin Fibre.
Old 27-03-2019, 15:43   #44
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Can anyone tell me if you have to phone Virgin up to get TiVo to start working when you get an box via post?

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
TiVo does yes. You can't get a V6 unless you also have Virgin Fibre.
I was talking about Recordings and TV Listings. I have try to look it up on my TiVo but it do not tell you. I am puting an TiVo for someone I know next week and is looking for info.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 15:44   #45
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Can anyone tell me if you have to phone Virgin up to get TiVo to start working when you get an box via post?I have try to look it up on my TiVo but it do not tell you. I am puting an TiVo for someone I know next week and is looking for info.
You can call or text to activate. Instructions will be in the box.