Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Locked Rar archive

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Locked Rar archive

Old 18-11-2006, 19:22   #1
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star
Locked Rar archive

Hi all

I backed up all my banking and passwords and screenshots into a locked .rar file, now I know the password but for some reason now I extract it on my newly reformatted system the password works files extract but I cannot view anything and I get the no entry message on the folders, as if the windows account lockout is active.

I get the same thing if I was accessing a windows account with private folders.

Only thing is I have no way to get in the damn thing.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-11-2006, 19:26   #2
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Locked Rar archive

Is it XP home?

Unfortunately, XP home doesn't give you full NTFS control over files, and if you select "use private folders" and then re-install XP, you'll be able to see the folder with all your old files in, but won't have access.
Sounds like your RAR is remembering the security settings of the files within and they're specific to your old username (which may be the same name, but to the computer it's different).

http://www.winxptutor.com/ownership.htm
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2006, 19:27   #3
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

Xp Pro Sp2
Old 19-11-2006, 02:23   #4
opelfruitcase
Inactive

opelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felinix_Devotion View Post
Xp Pro Sp2
So right click on the folder containing the rar file and/or extracted files, and as explained above, change ownership. To do this:

- Right click as mentioned above, and click properties.
- Click on the security tab
- Click advanced
- Click on the 'Owner' tab
- Change owner to Administrators
- Check 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects' option.
- Click OK
- Then OK again

OK, now go back in, and this time rather than clicking on the 'Owner' tab, remain on the 'Permissions' tab.

- Ensure full control is given to your username, Administrators and the SYSTEM user.
- Deselect check box for 'Inherit from the parent....' and ensure also that 'Replace permission entries...' is selected.

Try this, see if this works for you. If not, let us know.
opelfruitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2006, 13:19   #5
AndrewJ
Inactive

Shall do
Old 19-11-2006, 13:27   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Never keep your banking passwords on your pc, even if its passworded. Hope you get it sorted though.
Old 19-11-2006, 13:55   #7
gaffer_gump

Services: NTL 20mb Broadband. BT phone line. Tv yeah it's in the corner.

I use Folder Lock to keep all my personal stuff safe it locks it on 5 different levels and is just about crack proof as long as you have a good masterpass word so they say it has a good FAQ section and well worth the monetary outlay I think.
Old 19-11-2006, 15:31   #8
AndrewJ
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelfruitcase View Post
So right click on the folder containing the rar file and/or extracted files, and as explained above, change ownership. To do this:

- Right click as mentioned above, and click properties.
- Click on the security tab
- Click advanced
- Click on the 'Owner' tab
- Change owner to Administrators
- Check 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects' option.
- Click OK
- Then OK again

OK, now go back in, and this time rather than clicking on the 'Owner' tab, remain on the 'Permissions' tab.

- Ensure full control is given to your username, Administrators and the SYSTEM user.
- Deselect check box for 'Inherit from the parent....' and ensure also that 'Replace permission entries...' is selected.

Try this, see if this works for you. If not, let us know.
There is no security tab on the extracted file, it extracts to its folder and name but to access I get "access is denied" when I try to access the folder.
Old 21-11-2006, 18:31   #9
opelfruitcase
Inactive

opelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felinix_Devotion View Post
There is no security tab on the extracted file, it extracts to its folder and name but to access I get "access is denied" when I try to access the folder.
Should be if your using XP Pro - I know it wont be there if your using Home though. Try rebooting into safe mode, the security tab I mentioned should be there then.
opelfruitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 18:44   #10
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

unrar it from linux... Use a livecd and unrar it
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote