Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Images of Mars in 4K

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Home automation advise/suggesstions?

Old 13-08-2020, 20:15   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Home automation advise/suggesstions?

As you may know my mother was left paralysed with the Coronavirus.

Currently, she is in a nursing home, but we are in the process of getting her home, but it needs to be decided which department pays for what.

While this has been happening I have emptied out our dining room so a hospital type bed can be put in there.

The light in there has been switched for a Philips Hue bulb, so she can control it via Alexa.

What I need is advice on what kit I can put in to help her control her environment.

I am looking at an Alexa controlled curtain opener.

The room has no heating as we don't have central heating, what I need is an electric heater, than can be plugged in and left on all the time, other than turning off when it gets to the desired temp. (I might plug this into a TP-Link plug for her)

So can anyone recommend an electric curtain opener and radiator, plus anything else that may help her.

She will apparently be in the bed 24/7 as there in no room for a hoist, but once she gets home we will look into options of getting her in to a special chair similar to the one she has in the home.
Old 13-08-2020, 21:38   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Home automation advise/suggesstions?

How about one for these? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ajax-Online...ag=googhydr-21

And perhaps one of these? Radiator.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 22:40   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

The main issue I have with the Radiators is that some people have said not to have on constantly.

I've looked at so many home automation kit, my head is spinning.

I just want my mum to have control rather than rely on us.
Old 13-08-2020, 23:36   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM Phone : Sky Mobile : Sky TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Just get a normal electric heater, and pulg it in via a smart plug - I have two of these at home running over the winter months.

Ours are similar to this https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Convector.../dp/B0773HXND3

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 00:45   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
The main issue I have with the Radiators is that some people have said not to have on constantly.

I've looked at so many home automation kit, my head is spinning.

I just want my mum to have control rather than rely on us.
The oil radiator I linked to also has a timer attached. It has 4 wattage settings and a thermostat.

So you start with it on full belt and adjust as necessary be it wattage setting or thermostat, obviously it is trial and error until you find the happy balance. You then have the timer which can turn it off while she's asleep and fire it up before she wakes.

Think about it, once you hit the sweet spot with the settings if it is a hot day the rad thermostat will drop the on/off very low. Yes it will kick in if needed but only to keep the oil at ambient temp so you have a head start when the temp drops.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote