Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 18:01   #4906
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Red face Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I do not hate my self.
You appear to hate your nations history, your history. Such self loathing cannot be healthy

Quote:
Once you start with the personal ad-hominem attacks then you have pretty much lost the argument. So thank you for your post ..
wasn’t an attack, just an observation, an accurate one by your response

Quote:
You list a set of virtuous traits that represent your perceived "culture" but the end of the political spectrum you seem to affiliate yourself to is dedicated to the opposite so you seem to be a contradiction.
you’re going to have to explain yourself there, as I don’t see any contradiction, so detail where that is.

Quote:
You also aim to validate Colonialism by the perceived benefits the occupier gave to the occupied.
. I don’t validate it, I acknowledge the exploitative actions, but not everything In the empire days was negative or had a negative impact - that is aN unavoidable fact, it may not sit Well with your Narrative, but it’s a fact.

Quote:
You clearly abdicate yourself and your "culture" of any negative aspects associated with Empire
Oh I do, absolutely, it all happened long before I was born, I don’t carry the burden of the sins of my fathers

Quote:
but are more that willing to claim its "benefits". A wonderful smorgasboard of contradiction.
in so far as I don’t carry the sins of our fathers, you are right to point out that neither should I highlight the positives.

But it would be strange to not acknowledge the benefit of the rail infrastructure in India, for example? It still benefits the country today - does it not? Or do you consider it detrimental?

Quote:
Nothing for me to prove here. All people need to do is to read your posts .. the evidence is all there.
Indeed it is.
Old 02-08-2020, 18:15   #4907
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...hielding-rules

Concerns from the “demand” side of the economy.
Old 02-08-2020, 18:22   #4908
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...hielding-rules

Concerns from the “demand” side of the economy.
Well I can’t speak for the nation, but I don’t recognise that scenario. Up here in West Yorkshire things are carrying on pretty much as normal.
Old 02-08-2020, 18:43   #4909
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
But they ARE being criticised for going to the beach etc. The key difference is that I'm not aware of any evidence that it has lead to any town/city wide lockdowns. Another huge key difference is the level of interaction between groups.

Many areas have their own walk-in testing setups. The care homes can use that.

---------- Post added at 10:47 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

How would that make a difference? There would still be an intermingling between those separate groups at one stage or another.
Many of the occupants of care homes have limited mobility (which is often why they are in care homes, as well as dementia/Alzheimer’s) - "walk in" testing centres aren’t really appropriate for the majority of residents.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 02-08-2020, 19:05   #4910
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Well I can’t speak for the nation, but I don’t recognise that scenario. Up here in West Yorkshire things are carrying on pretty much as normal.
Well that’s the thing with narrow observations is that it doesn’t capture consumer spend or necessarily reflect the national picture. It’s just your own perception which is rather subjective.

People on furlough may be ‘observed’ to be out and about to get out the house however not making the same amount of discretionary spend prior to Covid.

Every pub I’ve been in that’s usually standing room only is filling their seats to comply with distancing however no standing. So, observably busy, but still trading far below normal.
Old 03-08-2020, 17:09   #4911
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Some interesting thoughts from Eleanor Roaf Trafford's health chief who says declaration of major incident shows spread not just prevalent in BAME groups.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...hite-community

Quote:
Eleanor Roaf, the director of public health in Trafford, said 80% of its infections in the last week were in the white community, and she urged the region’s 2.8 million residents to concentrate “much harder on what we can do to stop the wider spread”.
Quote:
Much of the coverage of the region’s rise in infections has focused on Oldham, where officials said last week that two-thirds of new cases were in the town’s Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities.
Quote:
She added: “The Trafford narrative is that it is a very white outbreak in Trafford. In other places the narrative is quite different. One of the anxieties is that we don’t end up with a complacent white middle class thinking it’s not affecting them because they think it’s about overcrowding in ethnic minority families.”
Old 03-08-2020, 17:28   #4912
jfman
Architect of Ideas

The Rona is coming for everyone!
Old 03-08-2020, 17:34   #4913
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

My son and his wife went to Germany today, They were tested as soon as they arrived with sniffer dogs , Thank God they were OK, I wonder if the same will be done in Scotland when they come back, I doubt it,
Old 03-08-2020, 17:36   #4914
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
The Rona is coming for everyone!
It's about time you acknowledged that. The virus is going nowhere anytime soon.

Bunker down, jfman!
Old 03-08-2020, 17:44   #4915
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It's about time you acknowledged that. The virus is going nowhere anytime soon.

Bunker down, jfman!
I’m merely acknowledging that white exceptionalism and not living in “multi-generational households” aren’t going to save anyone. Public health measures, and adhering to them, could if done effectively.
Old 03-08-2020, 17:48   #4916
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I’m merely acknowledging that white exceptionalism and not living in “multi-generational households” aren’t going to save anyone. Public health measures, and adhering to them, could if done effectively.
Locking down won't save anyone either, unless you lockdown at risk groups and let the virus work through the healthy population.

Total lockdown for years will not work. The virus will still be capable of striking us all down when everyone finally emerges.
Old 03-08-2020, 17:48   #4917
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Locking down won't save anyone either, unless you lockdown at risk groups and let the virus work through the healthy population.

Total lockdown for years will not work. The virus will still be capable of striking us all down when everyone finally emerges.
Nobody has ever proposed to lock down for years. There’s a classic Old Boy straw man trying to defeat an argument nobody actually made.
Old 03-08-2020, 18:28   #4918
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Nobody has ever proposed to lock down for years. There’s a classic Old Boy straw man trying to defeat an argument nobody actually made.
Really? How long should a further total lockdown last, then, in your opinion, and how will that achieve anything?

Last edited by OLD BOY; 03-08-2020 at 18:34.
Old 03-08-2020, 18:31   #4919
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Rea,ly? How long should a further total lockdown last, then, in youropinion, and how will that achieve anything?
Old Boy there’s little value debating you on the subject your opinion is clear to let people develop complications and die as a result with some kind of perverse view that the economy will bounce back ignoring that you are introducing demand side shocks which entrench the recession for years to come.
Old 03-08-2020, 18:36   #4920
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Old Boy there’s little value debating you on the subject your opinion is clear to let people develop complications and die as a result with some kind of perverse view that the economy will bounce back ignoring that you are introducing demand side shocks which entrench the recession for years to come.
You didn't answer my legitimate question and as you well know, I have not advocated vulnerable people being exposed to the virus.

Closed Thread