Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Trying to run coax cable from outside for Freeview - need advice

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Trying to run coax cable from outside for Freeview - need advice

Old 23-11-2019, 18:41   #1
RWCable
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media TiVo / Broadband / Somehow still the landline
RWCable is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Trying to run coax cable from outside for Freeview - need advice

Hi all

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this matter.

Until today I had a very old unused BT phone cable running into the house through a hole in the wall next to the back window. That phone connection hasn't been used in 20+ years.

I successfully pulled the phone cable out of the house from outside.

I now want to run coax cable for Freeview through the same hole in the wall.. I tried but to no avail.

(Go easy now... I have no DIY/carpentry/external installation experience).

The holes both inside and out are in extremely awkward positions.

From inside the house, I tried pushing the cable up, down and to the right.

When pushing to the right I pushed the coax through and the entire cable went into the wall but nothing came out the other side. No other direction seemed to work.

I realise now I probably should have taped the new cable to the old one and pulled through but too late now

So now I currently can't get either cable back in the wall....

Are there any (preferably cheap/household) tools I can use to get the coax through the wall in the existing hole?

Cheers

Last edited by RWCable; 23-11-2019 at 18:47.
RWCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-11-2019, 18:56   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Trying to run coax cable from outside for Freeview - need advice

You could try unbending a coat hanger and poke that through the hole. Tape the co-ax to it and pull through.
Old 23-11-2019, 18:59   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
You could try unbending a coat hanger and poke that through the hole. Tape the co-ax to it and pull through.
This.

Straightened coat hanger, old chop stick, anything rigid you can use to push through, with the new cable very firmly taped to the back end (duct tape would be good for this).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 19:04   #4
RWCable
cf.member

Thanks guys I will be doing this tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Old 24-11-2019, 12:48   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Coax is a thicker cable, the hole might be too small
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 15:49   #6
RWCable
cf.member

Hey guys I've had a bit of luck.

No wire frame coathanger (haven't found any yet), but I found some old bit of metal (could be from an antenna I'm not sure).

I put the metal through what I estimated where a hole would be and with a bit of pushing it went all the way in.

From inside I see the metal reflecting from my torch.

So I've found the hole, now it's a matter of facing it upwards to get it inside. I have a longer bendier piece of metal and will try that too.

Hopefully will get it done today but I suspect probably not...

@jb66 that may turn out to be true (probably with my luck) but can't hurt to try.... Fingers crossed

I'll keep you updated.

Many thanks
Old 24-11-2019, 17:30   #7
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCable View Post
Hey guys I've had a bit of luck.

No wire frame coathanger (haven't found any yet), but I found some old bit of metal (could be from an antenna I'm not sure).

I put the metal through what I estimated where a hole would be and with a bit of pushing it went all the way in.

From inside I see the metal reflecting from my torch.

So I've found the hole, now it's a matter of facing it upwards to get it inside. I have a longer bendier piece of metal and will try that too.

Hopefully will get it done today but I suspect probably not...

@jb66 that may turn out to be true (probably with my luck) but can't hurt to try.... Fingers crossed

I'll keep you updated.

Many thanks

Are you using waterproof/weatherproof coax ?
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 19:59   #8
RWCable
cf.member

Hi guys I've been very lucky, I've successfully ran the cable through.

Due to awkward outside wall (tiny gap between UPVC window frame and concrete where hole is), I couldn't get any rigid piece of metal through from inside to out.

But from outside I inserted a bit of washing line cable (rigid enough) and pulled it in from inside using a small pair of tweezers.

I got some test coax and removed one brass claw connector and taped that end to the washing line from inside.

Went outside again and pulled the coax outside successfully (hole seems big enough at least for this coax).

Many thanks for your advice here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
Are you using waterproof/weatherproof coax ?
@daveeb I don't think so. It's 25m of Nexan's "High Quality" RG6 from Screwfix. Plan is to run an indoor antenna with coax through one more accessible hole in the wall in another room, outside, to the difficult hole in the wall I've just gained access to.

Shouldn't matter should it? (Though I understand the cheaper material in cables that purport to be RG6 can be more susceptible to interference).

I thought only the connectors needed to be weatherproofed if one is attached to an outside antenna? In this case the only thing leading outside is the long coax cable itself, no connectors. Please correct me if I'm wrong I'll be happy to get weatherproof stuff if needed

Many thanks again

Last edited by RWCable; 24-11-2019 at 20:11.
Old 24-11-2019, 20:36   #9
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I thought only the connectors needed to be weatherproofed if one is attached to an outside antenna? In this case the only thing leading outside is the long coax cable itself, no connectors. Please correct me if I'm wrong I'll be happy to get weatherproof stuff if needed

You may well be correct about just the connectors needing to be waterproof if external. I'm just not sure how well normal coax would react to weathering.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 23:15   #10
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Most coax used outside by aerial fitters seems to be the standard stuff.
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 15:55   #11
RWCable
cf.member

Thumbs up Re: Trying to run coax cable from outside for Freeview - need advice

Hi all

Just writing to say the setup works perfectly, even better than expected, and I'm still using the full 25m length (even though that much not needed).

As @jb66 suggested, the coax is thicker than the old telephone cable it replaced... But thankfully not too much and I was able to get it through the hole OK.

The Nexan's RG6 coax cable itself has a nice robust outer sheath, and inside is double-insulated with silver metal braids (aluminium?), then thin aluminium foil, then white plastic(?) insulation, then a nice solid copper core. The cable is inexpensive, but if you want to try, be warned YMMV depending on what types of interference are present in your environment as cables purported to be RG6 use cheaper materials which may not block interference as well as materials in more expensive cables. Apparently what constitutes RG6 varies between manufacturers and the original RG6 standard is rarely if ever actually met. As I understand, the general consensus is that if you're unsure, use higher quality Webro WF100 or equivalent...

That said, I took a risk on this and the Nexan's RG6 works perfectly in my situation.

We can't have a roof aerial so have an amplified indoor antenna in one room where the signal is great and ran the aerial out via RG6 coax to the room where the old telephone cable was. All the relevant UHF carrier channels in my area show 100% signal on my TV except one which is 70-80%. No connectors are outside, but if you want any connectors outside be sure to get weatherproof/waterproof connectors (to stop damage to the internal cable material & any connected equipment).

As for if weatherproofing is needed for the cable itself (not connectors), I cannot say for certain as of yet but if any problems happen with the cable I will update here.

Thanks again for everyone's advice above. Much appreciated

Last edited by RWCable; 26-11-2019 at 16:00.