Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 29-07-2020, 22:37   #3271
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit-Transitional Period Ends 31/12/20

Old Boy and economics are distant acquaintances at best. There's years of discussion on streaming services to prove that!
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2020, 09:52   #3272
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

The FT has some good examples of the new costly red tape being inflicted on small British manufacturers

Quote:
Even without new testing, the basic cost of registering each chemical will be about £5,000, with the additional cost of “letters of access” varying from £33,000 for an emollient used in a face cream, for example, to £150,000 for a shea butter used as a base for sunscreen. In one case a letter of access cost nearly £300,000.

“Our EU competitors are licking their lips, and that is deeply frustrating,” Ms Loughran said of the mounting costs. “We’ve spent 30 years growing from nothing, now all these barriers are being forced upon us.

“It is enormously wasteful and uncompetitive for UK companies like us to have to spend time, money and resources to repeat all of these registrations for no additional benefit to anyone.”

...He added that there were widespread concerns in the industry that the cost of UK registration risked making some chemicals commercially non-viable in the UK market, with knock-on effects for supply chains and UK jobs.

https://www.ft.com/content/a1c4a5dc-...e-909d4aaf6162
Old 03-08-2020, 13:47   #3273
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Old Boy and economics are distant acquaintances at best. There's years of discussion on streaming services to prove that!
Says the man who believes that we don't need to worry about ruining our economy with constant lockdowns and doesn't acknowledge that small audiences for TV channels will ultimately lead to their closure.

Good luck with these perverse views you hold, jfman. I guess we will see who's right over time. Starting with how well we do with Brexit!

---------- Post added at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The FT has some good examples of the new costly red tape being inflicted on small British manufacturers

https://www.ft.com/content/a1c4a5dc-...e-909d4aaf6162
I can't read the whole article as I don't subscribe, but I'm not clear whether any assumptions have been made here or whether the government has confirmed that this will be the process.

It would have been easier simply to transfer existing permissions to the new system, I would have thought.
Old 03-08-2020, 14:09   #3274
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Says the man who believes that we don't need to worry about ruining our economy with constant lockdowns and doesn't acknowledge that small audiences for TV channels will ultimately lead to their closure.

Good luck with these perverse views you hold, jfman. I guess we will see who's right over time. Starting with how well we do with Brexit!
It’s your flawed view that the economy doesn’t tank either way that is flawed. The question is whether you want to control it or not. However that’s for another thread.

The forum is well versed on your views on streaming from the 6-7 threads you’ve opened over the years and are welcome to use the search facility to see you deny reality over there too.

Quote:
I can't read the whole article as I don't subscribe, but I'm not clear whether any assumptions have been made here or whether the government has confirmed that this will be the process.

It would have been easier simply to transfer existing permissions to the new system, I would have thought.
That’s the danger of though Old Boy. Anyone can speculate and make judgements in ignorance of material facts. I’ll trust the salt of the earth entrepreneurs quoted by the Financial Times before I trust your ideological speculation.
Old 03-08-2020, 14:50   #3275
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I'm not sure that's the wisest of starting places Old Boy as the GB-NI border means that JFMan is 1-0 up already! Maybe you should have selected another topic like the rugby.
Old 03-08-2020, 15:53   #3276
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I'm not sure that's the wisest of starting places Old Boy as the GB-NI border means that JFMan is 1-0 up already! Maybe you should have selected another topic like the rugby.
Prolly so, but when the Catholics gain an electoral majority in a few years' time (and not so far away), there'll be a border poll and then one Ireland.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 03-08-2020, 17:44   #3277
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
It’s your flawed view that the economy doesn’t tank either way that is flawed. The question is whether you want to control it or not. However that’s for another thread.
That's not what the Chancellor thinks.

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Quote:

That’s the danger of though Old Boy. Anyone can speculate and make judgements in ignorance of material facts. I’ll trust the salt of the earth entrepreneurs quoted by the Financial Times before I trust your ideological speculation.
You certainly seem to take maximum advantage of that, jfman.
Old 03-08-2020, 17:49   #3278
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
That's not what the Chancellor thinks.

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

You certainly seem to take maximum advantage of that, jfman.
Where has the Chancellor proposed that the economy will recover quickly? I certainly missed it.
Old 03-08-2020, 20:17   #3279
jfman
Architect of Ideas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53642923

He wasn’t sending sensitive papers to a web based email account, was he? Tut tut if so.
Old 03-08-2020, 20:18   #3280
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Prolly so, but when the Catholics gain an electoral majority in a few years' time (and not so far away), there'll be a border poll and then one Ireland.
Not sure that’s so cut and dried - I have family over there, and the younger generations are more secular, and have less time for the Prods vs Kaffliks bullshine, and equally are less fervent about a ‘United Ireland’...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 03-08-2020, 20:40   #3281
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Not sure that’s so cut and dried - I have family over there, and the younger generations are more secular, and have less time for the Prods vs Kaffliks bullshine, and equally are less fervent about a ‘United Ireland’...
Indeed, the young generation in N.I. Have the best of both worlds, equally citizens of the R.o.I the EU and the U.K.

If I was Northern Irish I’d vote for the status quo.
Old 03-08-2020, 21:36   #3282
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Indeed, the young generation in N.I. Have the best of both worlds, equally citizens of the R.o.I the EU and the U.K.

If I was Northern Irish I’d vote for the status quo.
Voting for the status quo is indeed what the majority of Northern Irish did in 2016.
Do the Northern Irish enjoy freedom of movement in the EU? I don't think they automatically do, but if they select a Republic of Ireland passport then would this mean they would?
Old 03-08-2020, 21:56   #3283
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That's certainly the impression that I got when i've visited both NI & the ROI.

AFAIK, NI costs more to run than it makes, so from a purely financial point of view, the cash strapped ROI is unlikely to want to take on NI.
Old 03-08-2020, 22:27   #3284
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

AFAIK, NI costs more to run than it makes, so from a purely financial point of view, the cash strapped ROI is unlikely to want to take on NI.
Not sure RoI is any more cash-strapped than the UK but it's not an investment decision, it's a constitutional one which has been made.
Old 03-08-2020, 23:31   #3285
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Didn't stop the re-unification of Germany, and the old DDR is still a money pit for the rest of Germany...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Closed Thread