Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 30-11-2016, 11:49   #1546
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
Indeed, for that im going to be ditching all 3 of my refurbished TiVo boxes.

The last one has proved to be a load of rubbish and keeps failing because its 2nd hand and virgin keeps putting suspicion on me... in lounge had 2 this year so far! original one lasted since launch in 2012, and other new box has also been nothing but reliable.
TO be fair on VM, I've only had 1 Tivo box fail, my V+HD and VHD boxes have all worked faultlessly. The only niggle I have is the speed of the Tivo, but that's for everyone.

Hopefully V6 is just as reliable.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2016, 11:49   #1547
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
No doubt it will be like smartphones, where only a very limited range of tablets will work with proper functionality.
I think you may have misunderstood what the TellyTablet is.

It's a 14" tablet sold directly by VM that'll run the Virgin TV apps, but as far as I know the apps themselves will continue to work on a range of mobile devices, same as TV Anywhere does now.
Old 30-11-2016, 11:50   #1548
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Yes mate, I want 4K football matches too. I'm greedy, I'd like 4K movies too lol
Did not some say that about 3D as well as that was pretty much a flop apart from a small core of niche customers who wanted it and now where is that?.
Old 30-11-2016, 11:51   #1549
DiveSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
And how much extra per month would you be willing to pay for 4K Football, because there is no way I can see that it would be an inclusive addition to any of the current bundle options.
Appreciate that there would have to be an additional charge, but would like the option.
Old 30-11-2016, 11:51   #1550
MisterQ

Quote:
I think you may have misunderstood what the TellyTablet is.
A tablet that you can watch tv on. Like the ones on Amazon selling for under £30.
Old 30-11-2016, 11:52   #1551
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Did not some say that about 3D as well as that was pretty much a flop apart from a small core of niche customers who wanted it and now where is that?.
I still watch some movies in 3D...the 3D picture on my LG OLED is amazing. If 3D started off like this, maybe there would have been a bigger uptake.
Old 30-11-2016, 11:53   #1552
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveSheep View Post
Appreciate that there would have to be an additional charge, but would like the option.
Well the option is not there due to Sky and BT's refusal to sell it to other TV platforms.
Old 30-11-2016, 11:54   #1553
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
A tablet that you can watch tv on. Like the ones on Amazon selling for under £30.
A 14" tablet for under £30? Where?
Old 30-11-2016, 11:55   #1554
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well the option is not there due to Sky and BT's refusal to sell it to other TV platforms.
How do you know they have refused?
Maybe VM were waiting for the V6 to come out...Did you notice that Sky adverts were on all the time...pushing the Sky Q every other ad...maybe VM and Sky have already been speaking?
Old 30-11-2016, 12:00   #1555
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Why?

Sky Q was launched without any 4K content, and it took months before any appeared as far as I'm aware and also required a software update.

V6 will launch with access to Netflix 4K from day one, and I'm sure that there will be additional 4K deals coming next year.

But at the moment most of the UK generated 4K content is from Sky and BT, who have their own 4K services that they want to use that content to promote.
But Sky Q launched much earlier, when there really was hardly any 4K content anywhere. Netflix had a handful of shows. There wasn't even a UHD disc player.

Going in to 2017 we have a totally different environment - in 4K availability and in 4K TV adoption - launching 4K now with only 2 apps, both of which are already available on just about every UHD TV already, is seriously disappointing.

On the plus side, it makes the 1TB HDD less of an issue - there is no UHD content to download and take up space.

The "box made for apps" line, without many apps being announced actually sounds no different to me than when the original TiVo launched. That too was supposed to be a platform for apps:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/cable...ng-apps-to-tv/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ery-to-TV.html

..... and we know how that turned out

In fact swap 4K for HD and the PR around the core box (Kids app and tablet aside) is almost exactly the same. Even the HDD is the same 6 years later!

I doubt anyone is going to get excited about recording 6 shows at once, or 5 plus live TV, rather than 4 + 3x Live Tv + 2x Tablet on Sky Q.

No mention of "Mini" boxes for the kitchen or bedrooms, let alone some of the dreamier "cloud DVR" features people had been speculating on.

All round I find this a real anti-climax and unlikely to stem the flow of top-end customers to Sky Q. Maybe Virgin are happy with that - increasingly they seem to be happy with a TV service for those who don't care for or cannot afford the premium TV service from Sky. I'm not judging people for that - it's fine and maybe healthy(!) not to want to pay a fortune to Sky for stuff you mostly never watch. But it's very different from a few years ago when Virgin seemed to genuinely try and develop a better TV service.

Last edited by Jong1; 30-11-2016 at 12:04.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:03   #1556
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
No mention of "Mini" boxes for the kitchen or bedrooms, let alone some of the dreamier "cloud DVR" features people had been speculating on.
I think that's what the 3rd party device/TellyTablet are intended for.

I agree there not much of a jump forward with regards to the box features...but then i thought the same about Sky Q
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:04   #1557
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I still watch some movies in 3D...the 3D picture on my LG OLED is amazing. If 3D started off like this, maybe there would have been a bigger uptake.
I agree with this. LG OLED passive 3D is an eye opener!

LG threads are full of people buying and recommending 3D blu-rays cheap. I even read one guy last wek who was saying his friends were more impressed by 3D on his new telly than UHD!

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
I think that's what the 3rd party device/TellyTablet are intended for.
Yeah, but people do still have TVs in other rooms and putting a whole TiVo in there is overkill. Even TiVo moved away from that model several years ago.

Last edited by Jong1; 30-11-2016 at 12:21.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:04   #1558
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
How do you know they have refused?
Maybe VM were waiting for the V6 to come out...Did you notice that Sky adverts were on all the time...pushing the Sky Q every other ad...maybe VM and Sky have already been speaking?
Well l am pretty sure if Virgin could have got it they would of UC.
Old 30-11-2016, 12:14   #1559
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
Yeah, but people do still have TVs in other rooms and putting a whole TiVo in there is overkill. Even TiVo moved away from that model several years ago.
Agreed, I use a video sender to a 2nd big tv but they have killed that off by removing scart connectivity. No way would I want to watch on a little tablet instead or have the hassle/expense of a 2nd Tivo.
Old 30-11-2016, 12:15   #1560
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

I have full house TV, 100mb BB and phone line guess I wouldn't get it for £49.95 unless I upped the broadband?
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote