Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What Can I Replace My Aging Sky+ HD Box With?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

What Can I Replace My Aging Sky+ HD Box With?

Old 20-06-2013, 20:15   #1
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
What Can I Replace My Aging Sky+ HD Box With?

Simple question (possibly) .....

Our Sky+ HD box is getting on a bit (OK, a *lot*).

We're getting a whole load of 'Technical Fault 7' errors, which the general consensus of opinion seems to suggest are related to a dying HDD.

Thinking about replacing the HDD has got me thinking about whether or not it's possible to just replace the whole box with something that isn't 'Sky' necessarily, but which will do the same job (take a Sky viewing card, decrypt the feed, save to HDD).

This has the benefits of a) solving the current problem, b) giving me a shiny new toy to play with, and c) allowing me to leave the old one connected to the TV while we finish watching the previously recorded stuff.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-06-2013, 20:28   #2
ferretuk
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack
Re: What Can I Replace My Aging Sky+ HD Box With?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
whether or not it's possible to just replace the whole box with something that isn't 'Sky' necessarily, but which will do the same job (take a Sky viewing card, decrypt the feed, save to HDD).
No. The Sky Videoguard encryption system is proprietary and only supported in hardware supplied by them.
ferretuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 20:31   #3
tizmeinnit

if you have been a customer a long time I would call them explain the box is broken explain you are not prepared to pay for a tech so you are leaving . I always ended up with a free call out and new box
Old 20-06-2013, 20:32   #4
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Crappy old Thomson box? If so, may well also be dodgy capacitors in the PSU, as well as (or instead of) a failing HDD.

Get it replaced by Sky, for free, with a nice new DRX890, which will have the benefit of being compatible with Sky On Demand and any other new features.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-h...ox-scheme.html

Sky's run this offer a few times. Mrs D and I had our old Thomson box replaced for free last year.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 20:34   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretuk View Post
No. The Sky Videoguard encryption system is proprietary and only supported in hardware supplied by them.
Oh bum ..... I feared as much.

Replacement HDD it is then - don't suppose there's any way to copy recorded programs from one to the other?

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Crappy old Thomson box? If so, may well also be dodgy capacitors in the PSU, as well as (or instead of) a failing HDD.

Get it replaced by Sky, for free, with a nice new DRX890, which will have the benefit of being compatible with Sky On Demand and any other new features.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-h...ox-scheme.html

Sky's run this offer a few times. Mrs D and I had our old Thomson box replaced for free last year.
I think it's a Samsung one :-/
Old 20-06-2013, 20:35   #6
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Ah Try your luck anyway and phone Sky, see what they say
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 20:35   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Will do. Ta!
Old 20-06-2013, 20:44   #8
tizmeinnit

I had a handful of boxes out of contract with the threat to leave they never called my bluff
Old 21-06-2013, 04:49   #9
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Oh bum ..... I feared as much.

Replacement HDD it is then - don't suppose there's any way to copy recorded programs from one to the other?

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

I think it's a Samsung one :-/
Best offer box will be £29, install will be £30, £15, £5 or free depending on your tenure on your account. If you upgrade to multiroom you can get free install and maybe a free box with free service call on the existing box.

Best service call price is £15 (3 month warranty) or you can get a years extended warranty for £65 currently.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 06:08   #10
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

if you get struck I can post you my sky+ he box as I didn't need it now
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote