Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How Do I Install a TV Aerial in a New Build House?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

How Do I Install a TV Aerial in a New Build House?

Old 15-10-2011, 09:31   #16
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: How Do I Install a TV Aerial in a New Build House?

The sat cables will need a higher grade of coax than is necessary for terrestrial tv so your builder may well have saved himself a few bob by not installing them. Also, a sat cable should ideally go in one single run all the way from the dish to the faceplate with no extra joins in the loft, which would be another good reason for not installing any cable at all until you decide you want a dish.

You could just unscrew the plate and see what's behind it though ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-10-2011, 16:43   #17
yeoldgreat1
Inactive

yeoldgreat1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've taken the faceplate off and there is a Labgear PSW241 box that has a Triplexed input and a SAT2 input.

How does the Triplexed input work? I know it means that a single cable feeds the TV, FM/DAB and SAT outputs but does anyone know how it's wired internally? I'm asking because I've used a multimeter to check where the inputs go to and I can only find a short between the input and the SAT output. I can't work out if the links to the FM and TV outputs are working. How would I go about testing this?
yeoldgreat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 17:10   #18
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Do you have a handy terrestrial aerial you could attach to the relevant coax in the loft? If so, do that, then attach a tv to the tv socket downstairs and see if it picks anything up. If you have an FM receiver with a coax input then do likewise with the FM socket. The same TV aerial in the loft will be adequate for this.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 19:38   #19
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoldgreat1 View Post
Also, I can't see extra cables for the SAT1 and SAT2 connectors. Are they usually installed or left until needed?
Left until needed, SKY installers, like VM won't go into a loft. If you want SKY and don't want them drilling through your wall, get them to push the cables into the loft and connect up to your existing cables.
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 23:59   #20
shellyo
Inactive

shellyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: How Do I Install a TV Aerial in a New Build House?

Hi I have been reading your replies to installing TV Aerials in a new house.......
I would like to ask a question I f I can
I have just moved to a 1960's house with one tv aerial socket in the living room.I would like to put tv 's in the 3 bedrooms for the children but have no sockets...
Can I tap into the one cable coming in which is in the loft......
Do I also have to have Aerial sockets in the walls. Can I have the cables just coming through the floorboards in the corners where I want the tv's.......or should I just get a man who knows what he is doing,,
Shellyo
shellyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 00:54   #21
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Hi Shellyo and welcome to the cable forum.
You will get best results by adding a booster amplifier in the loft which will enable a separate output for each TV required. Basically you run the cable from the aerial into the amplifier then take a separate cable to each room from there. They don't have to go to sockets but can run as you say from under the floorboards to the TVs.

You just have to make sure you buy an amplfier with enough output sockets.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote