Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin loses iPlayer exclusivity

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Virgin loses iPlayer exclusivity

Old 03-11-2009, 21:47   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Virgin loses iPlayer exclusivity

The BBC's iPlayer will launch on the Freesat platform as early as the end of November.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technol...5875-21795517/

They've been promising this ever since Freesat launched, and here it is at last. It will be delivered via the ethernet port that is built in to every branded Freesat box and integrated Freesat TV.

I have got to get me one of these now!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2009, 21:56   #2
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb
Re: Virgin loses iPlayer exclusivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The BBC's iPlayer will launch on the Freesat platform as early as the end of November.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technol...5875-21795517/

They've been promising this ever since Freesat launched, and here it is at last. It will be delivered via the ethernet port that is built in to every branded Freesat box and integrated Freesat TV.

I have got to get me one of these now!
I was worried then, cause all I seen was "Virgin loses iPlayer", but long as we keep it, thats all Im worried about
Old 03-11-2009, 21:58   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Though will the HD quality be the web version or the Virgin OD version?
Old 03-11-2009, 22:07   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Though will the HD quality be the web version or the Virgin OD version?
We'll have to wait and see, won't we ... there are precious few details out there at the moment. The Beeb sneaked the announcement of the beta out in the Internet Blog so they're not ready to sound a fanfare yet.

Although I bet it's fair to say they won't be so keen to use MPEG-2 as Virgin was.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:49   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Now reported on the BBC news (weird how they got it last )

It's only available on the HD service.. I wonder how they'll do the request communications? Do freesat HD boxes have ethernet?
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:51   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

This is on Freesat, not Freeview - and yes, all Freesat boxes have ethernet. It's been in the spec since launch.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:55   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Woops, nice bit of word blindness there (too busy with website and forum stuff going round in my head for a reconfiguration )

Will correct my post...TnX Chris
Old 05-11-2009, 11:06   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

It seems that it will be restricted to HD boxes only, because (if I'm reading it right) only the HD boxes use the very latest standards published by the Digital Television Group. The latest version of the standard (D-Book 6.1, which I had never heard of before yesterday) uses a version of MHEG-5 that has been extended to allow it to handle internet video, and that is what they need to use in order to make iPlayer work on TV.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:15   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Weird as most older boxes can usually be designed to handle streaming (my old kiss player I bought in 2001 handles internet streaming and so does my mutant sat player with the right firmware image)

Do the SD boxes all have ethernet?? If not then it's probably the case that they wanted to not only promote HD over the old SD but also wanted all units within a scope to have this feature..
Old 05-11-2009, 11:31   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Yes, they all have ethernet, even the cheap-as-chips Goodmans SD box I bought for the in-laws' holiday flat just over a year ago.

I think the problem is, from before they launched Freesat they knew they wanted the iPlayer on it but they didn't know how they were going to do it. About all they could predict was that it was going to require ethernet. It seems that they've been casting about looking for a solution and now they've settled on something that allows them to do what they want, at the expense of ignoring the SD kit.

I don't think the BBC could be seen to be trying to drive sales of any particular kind of box as they would risk getting in trouble with the Trust over commercial activity. As it happens, IIRC comfortably more than 50% of all Freesat boxes sold so far are HD anyway. It really does seem to be a happy coincidence that the Freesat box specs (which are set and enforced very strictly by the Freesat consortium) only force D-Book 6.1 with MHEG5-IC into the HD boxes. This could be for all sorts of reasons I'm not going to pretend to understand, but I would speculate that there are hardware constraints - the cheapest SD boxes are very, very short of memory. Waiting for the EPG to load and populate on my Goodmans box is like pulling teeth.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:40   #11
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

My Humax HD box is sat here all connected awaiting iPlayer Hopefully it will surpass the online\PC version on my TV as even HD content can look washed out and blocky.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 12:30   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

More info:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8378394.stm

ITV Player is coming to Freesat as well.