Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

New TV but its not 1080p...or is it?

Old 20-11-2021, 01:34   #1
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
New TV but its not 1080p...or is it?

Hi all,

Got a new tv for a reasonable 200 quid. 32 inch tv which is an improvement from the 28inch tv i had previously. (its a tv in my boxroom/study!). So anyway it says on amazon its 1080p so i order it.

Box arrives today....whats this? 720p! I was bloody annoying as my old tv of 10 years was 720p.

So i get onto Amazon and they give me a 40 quid refund. So i thought "ah okay 160 quid for a new tv which i needed which is better than my old one may as well keep it".

Anyway long story short when i switch from one HDMI to another it shows at the top briefly "HDMI 1920 x1080p"

Is the tv 1080p afterall?!

https://ibb.co/xsKBctR

Last edited by vincerooney; 20-11-2021 at 01:38. Reason: v
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-11-2021, 02:08   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: New TV but its not 1080p...or is it?

It would be a lot more useful to link to the tv (on amazon).

Also, what makes you think its 720p in the first place ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 02:10   #3
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
It would be a lot more useful to link to the tv (on amazon).

Also, what makes you think its 720p in the first place ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the box says 720p haha.
amazon says 1080p
the link to the screen shot says 1080p haha.
amazon gave me a refund after i said it wasnt 1080p haha

Last edited by vincerooney; 20-11-2021 at 02:10. Reason: .
Old 20-11-2021, 02:13   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

No 2021 model is ever going to be 720p.
(Well ok, not entirely true, but most companies are stopping making then now).

That one however is 1080p (FHD).

Old 20-11-2021, 10:35   #5
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

You can have a 1080p panel and inbuilt tuner that isn't anywhere near it.

We have a TV in the kitchen that's capable of 1080p (1920 x1080p) if you use the Input sources, but only has a SD Freeview tuner in it. I can watch content via my old Roku using HDMI and it'll be 1080p if the provided content is. It's from 2010/11, but you get my point.

Most TVs even when they aren't 1080p are usually an in-between resolution, not as low as 720p, and they downscale from 1080p (or 1080i of broadcast HD) and upscale from SD. There can be things on the box that actually mean the set can accept 1080p Input signals, but doesn't display them that way.

Does the box model number actually match the website? There could've been a wrong product pickup in the warehouse. You do hear about people ordering a large item and getting a small thing in the box from Amazon.

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

For example I followed your link the last post and the Compare With Similar Items section of the page has a 32 inch Toshiba 2021 model, with a VERY similar model number, and it says it's 720p.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-32W..._t2_B08ZNN7YZV
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 12:05   #6
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Maybe Toshiba shipped it in the old model box I dunno but as said yours in 1080 so with the £40 you got a bargain there. Incidentally on a screen that size 720 would be fine anyway

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
For example I followed your link the last post and the Compare With Similar Items section of the page has a 32 inch Toshiba 2021 model, with a VERY similar model number, and it says it's 720p.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-32W..._t2_B08ZNN7YZV
His phot clearly shows the TV has 1080
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 12:34   #7
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Just had a nosy on Amazon. Both the 2021 model Toshiba 32LL3C63DB you quote and the earlier 2019 model Toshiba 32 LL3A63DB are both 1080p

The only other possible alternative Toshiba that Amazon are stocking that is 720 is the 2021 Toshiba 32WK3C63DB

Comparing the photos of each set they could all to be using the same carcass but if your TV says it's 1080 ( maybe you could check by using your remote, my screen definition on my Samsung shows up using the INFO button) I would trust that information and just consider the refund as a Black Friday extra reduction. Amazon's loss ... but they were either being to lazy to check or should now be checking any stock and taking things up with Toshiba.
Old 20-11-2021, 18:14   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

I think you got what you ordered, Amazon dont really care about the £40.

I ordered some things the other week, and made a mistake in my order.
I put it through for a refund, expecting to have to return them, they refunded the cost and just told me to keep the items.

Old 20-11-2021, 18:47   #9
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I think you got what you ordered, Amazon dont really care about the £40.

I ordered some things the other week, and made a mistake in my order.
I put it through for a refund, expecting to have to return them, they refunded the cost and just told me to keep the items.
Wife has also had that with wrong or damaged items.
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 19:09   #10
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Just had a nosy on Amazon. Both the 2021 model Toshiba 32LL3C63DB you quote and the earlier 2019 model Toshiba 32 LL3A63DB are both 1080p

The only other possible alternative Toshiba that Amazon are stocking that is 720 is the 2021 Toshiba 32WK3C63DB

Comparing the photos of each set they could all to be using the same carcass but if your TV says it's 1080 ( maybe you could check by using your remote, my screen definition on my Samsung shows up using the INFO button) I would trust that information and just consider the refund as a Black Friday extra reduction. Amazon's loss ... but they were either being to lazy to check or should now be checking any stock and taking things up with Toshiba.
Well this is getting more mysterious....

The tv i got the manual quotes "32WK3C63DB" which if you check on amazon does say its just 720p. The box says 720p

The one i bought does say "Toshiba 32LL3C63DB 32-inch" which is 1080p in the emails.

when i click info on the remote it does say "1920 x 1080p" so who knows whats going on
Old 20-11-2021, 19:16   #11
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
His phot clearly shows the TV has 1080
As I said, I looked at the link in newer post, which was an Amazon link. I had no idea what was in the other link.

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post

The tv i got the manual quotes "32WK3C63DB" which if you check on amazon does say its just 720p. The box says 720p

The one i bought does say "Toshiba 32LL3C63DB 32-inch" which is 1080p in the emails.

when i click info on the remote it does say "1920 x 1080p" so who knows whats going on
The info button on screen could be telling you what the signal from the input is outputting. Are you connected to an external box from Sky or VM?

What is the model number on the sticker on the back of the television itself? That's the most accurate place to get model information about the device, rather than the manual or box.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 19:43   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post

Check the model number on the TV itself, it should be with the serial number.

Old 20-11-2021, 20:10   #13
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

I assume the TV picture looks ok? if so no worries innit
Old 20-11-2021, 20:45   #14
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

You will never be able to send it back in the wrong box if it ever develops a fault i am guessing the SN wont be the same on the box as on the TV seeing the model number is in correct.
Old 20-11-2021, 20:54   #15
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
You will never be able to send it back in the wrong box if it ever develops a fault i am guessing the SN wont be the same on the box as on the TV seeing the model number is in correct.
sale of goods act says items do not need to be in original packaging