Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Existing Customer - Incentive to stay with NTL

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Billing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cancelling everything apart from Broadband

Old 17-10-2004, 22:04   #1
heady
Inactive

heady is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Cancelling everything apart from Broadband

This is my first post to the forum, but I'm in need of some support here.

I've had enough of NTL not supplying services on the phone that I have paid for, overcharging me for calls, and not keeping their promises.

I phoned NTL on 1st September and cancelled everything apart from the Broadband (I'm actually quite happy with the 750K service). I then received a bill date 8th September charging me until the 7th October for all my cancelled services. I then checked the Calls as the call charges seemed extremely high, it turns out that they've been charging me for Talk Unlimited 24 and charging my calls as Talk Unlimited. Also the Digital Cable TV bill said that payment would be taken from my Credit Card, however I've never given permission for my Card to be used for regular payments.

I phoned up NTL, managed to get someone very helpful who credited the call charges and the line rentals that were over charged, they also promised me that the Credit Card would not be charged.

Not only has my Credit Card been charged, but the new bill that I have received tells me that they will be taking another months charges from my Credit Card even though the package should be cancelled. Indeed I've also been charged for another month of Telephone rental.

NTL are totally incompetent, not only can they not provide a service, they can't even cancel it when you ask. But has NTL broken the law by taking unauthorised payments from my credit card?
heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2004, 22:13   #2
Sipowicz
Inactive

Sipowicz has a spectacular aura about themSipowicz has a spectacular aura about themSipowicz has a spectacular aura about themSipowicz has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Cancelling everything apart from Broadband

Not sure if this would be covered by the Unsolicited goods and services act 1971 (as amended), whereby it is a criminal offence to seek payment for a good or service that has not been ordered. You could argue that ntl are seeking payment for a "service" that you have not ordered.
Sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2004, 22:22   #3
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Hello heady to the forums.

I have read what you posted above and just wondered if you are outside the 12 months contract?

If I remember if you cancel inside the 12 month contract NTL can still charge for the months you are not going to recieve the service.

Also if you canceled have you arranged another method for calls so as not to use NTLs phone line.

Quote:
I then received a bill date 8th September charging me until the 7th October
This would be correct as you have to give a months notice so cancelling on the 1st September they billed you the months notice till the 7th October by which time they should have discconected the connection.

I should suggest contacting them again making sure they have carried out your wishes to cancel the services apart from the internet. Try to speak to a supervisor ask them to recheck if the original person you spoke to has completed the cancelation. It will not be the first time a cancelation, downgrade or upgrade hasn't been completed.
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 09:46   #4
heady
Inactive

heady is an unknown quantity at this point

I am definitely outside the 12 months contract. But my main concern is I now have a bill for 8th October to 7th November, which I am not receiving a service for. I already have had BT reconnected, and really don't want NTL to keep trying to charge me for a phone line that was cancelled over a month ago. Also Charging a Credit Card without authorisation is considered Credit Card Fraud if done by an individual, so is it not the same if NTL do it?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Heady
heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 12:41   #5
Graham F
Inactive

Graham F has reached the bronze age
Graham F has reached the bronze ageGraham F has reached the bronze ageGraham F has reached the bronze age

speak to your credit card company and they should be able ot advise you
Graham F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 13:04   #6
Stuart W
Inactive

Services: BroadBand 4M
Stuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Stuart W

Also, get in touch with your local Trading Standards office.

Take as much paperwork as you can (any agreement signed, notice of cancelation of servies etc) and they will be able to advise you on your quest to be rid of nonsence bills
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 13:12   #7
Sipowicz
Inactive

Sipowicz has a spectacular aura about themSipowicz has a spectacular aura about themSipowicz has a spectacular aura about themSipowicz has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by heady
I am definitely outside the 12 months contract. But my main concern is I now have a bill for 8th October to 7th November, which I am not receiving a service for. I already have had BT reconnected, and really don't want NTL to keep trying to charge me for a phone line that was cancelled over a month ago. Also Charging a Credit Card without authorisation is considered Credit Card Fraud if done by an individual, so is it not the same if NTL do it?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Heady
See here: http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/unsolicited.htm this explains the Unsolicited Goods and Services Act of 1971 (as amended) It is a criminal offence to bill someone for something that they have not ordered or requested. As suggested in another post, if you have copies of the cancellation request, pass a copy (along with the latest bill) to your local Trading Standards Office. They will advise you. As also suggested elsewhere, contact your Credit Card company and let them know that it is an unauthorised transaction against your account, and ask them to stop/recover payment.
Sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 15:50   #8
poolking
Inactive

Services: Sky World 300k BB NTL Phone
poolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to poolking Send a message via MSN to poolking Send a message via Yahoo to poolking

Just contact your credit card company to cancel the recurring payment and request a chargeback, then get in touch with the cancellations department direct, number is posted on here somewhere, as it appears the CS has failed to pass on the request to the appropriate department.

Don't go the lengthy route threatening to take them to court, why be out of pocket even more to file a claim against them?
poolking is offline   Reply With Quote