Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2022)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Changes to Virgin TV (2022)
Closed Thread

Old 20-03-2022, 14:08   #616
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2022)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No, that’s ITVXXX.
Don't forget the ITV App that only shows Australian soaps, dramas, comedies, and documentaries - ITV XXXX
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 20-03-2022, 15:11   #617
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

2022:
New deal time for Virgin to broadcast local Channel 4 HD Channels when launch?

2019:
New deal with Channel 4 signed to launch All4 app on TV360 and V6 boxes in 2020.

2017:
Channel 4 buys old BBC THREE Slot on Virgin for E4.

2016:
4Seven HD launches on Virgin
Virgin sign new deal with Channel 4 - Their music channels moved channel numbers.

2013:
More4 +1 and More4 HD both launch on Virgin.

2012:
4Seven launch on Virgin
Virgin signs new deal with Channel 4

2010:
E4 HD launches but some other channels get move to new channel numbers.
https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/20...nels.html#more

2009:
Channel 4 HD launches on Virgin.
Channel 4 signs new deal with Virgin.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 20-03-2022 at 15:21.
Old 20-03-2022, 15:16   #618
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice

All4 app launched on Virgin in June 2020
https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...to-tv-platform

So perhaps a new deal was agreed then ?

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 20-03-2022 at 15:20.
Old 20-03-2022, 15:34   #619
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
All4 app launched on Virgin in June 2020
https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...to-tv-platform

So perhaps a new deal was agreed then ?
I did forgot about that - now added to my list.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

I ask That's TV UK if they has any plans to launch UK wide on Virgin UK (Bar the local ones on Channel 159 in some parts of England and Wales)

I got a following back:

Quote:
Sorry, we’re not currently available on Virgin Media in most of the UK. We will let you know if this changes.
Old 20-03-2022, 16:46   #620
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
The replies above explain it, but basically ITV is modernising itself in preparation for the changeover to IPTV. This is likely to be a much more attractive proposition than Britbox and ITV Hub on their own. Britbox has mainly old material on it, which will not attract the kind of numbers they may have originally envisaged. The promised new material for ITVX should ensure that it is more successful.
Very possibly because as you say, it will combine both new and archive content.

I read that ITVX subscribers will get Britbox as part of their subscription. However will Britbox subscribers get ITVX as part of their Britbox subscription?

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Netflix has been on TiVo for years before the V6 box launched, whereas Prime Video didn't launch until after the V6 did so the choices were different for both Virgin Media and Amazon.
Thanks for the reply Ben.

I would conclude that Amazon Prime will work perfectly well - albeit rather slowly - on Tivo boxes and that the decision to withhold it from TV-only customers was purely a business decision.

I also seem to recall that when Amazon first showed live Premier League matches, TV only customers were able to access the games whereas this was discontinued and that TV only customers can no longer access any sport that Amazon Prime shows.

---------- Post added at 16:46 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The trouble is that TV only customers can't upgrade to a more modern box, so have to use the old TiVo.
And that seems to be part of the problem as TV only customers are getting an ever more inferior product compared - includng less content - to VM's internet customers but presumably paying the same amount.

Out of interest, why are TV only customers not allowed to have a more modern box?
Old 20-03-2022, 17:22   #621
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
Out of interest, why are TV only customers not allowed to have a more modern box?
VM don't have a modern TV box model with inbuilt internet. The last model to have this is the model TV-only customers currently have.

All the modern boxes connect to the separate broadband routers. Since TV-only customers don't have VM broadband routers there would be no way to update the EPG or use apps.

I'm guessing most customers take multiple VM products and VM don't think it's worthwhile for the development costs involved in developing another model box.
Old 20-03-2022, 21:52   #622
Derekb108
Wont Give into $ky!

Services: Virgin Media TV XL, 300mb Broadband.
Derekb108 will become famous soon enoughDerekb108 will become famous soon enoughDerekb108 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Britbox has launched on Virgin, and ITVX is also arriving later this year.

https://advanced-television.com/2022...-on-virgin-tv/
as the BBC has dropped their stake in britbox

however BBC Programs will stay on as there still partners, and will include ITVX Exclusives
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/itv...ox-1235195054/
Old 21-03-2022, 10:05   #623
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Ben.

I would conclude that Amazon Prime will work perfectly well - albeit rather slowly - on Tivo boxes and that the decision to withhold it from TV-only customers was purely a business decision.
An app run slowly is itself part of the business decision, and app developers will have metrics as to what they class as 'perfectly well'.

As an app provider would I risk the customer experience impact and potential brand impact of having a newly launched app run slow enough to frustrate people using it? Unlikely.
Old 21-03-2022, 10:32   #624
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice

Quote:
Very possibly because as you say, it will combine both new and archive content.

I read that ITVX subscribers will get Britbox as part of their subscription. However will Britbox subscribers get ITVX as part of their Britbox subscription?[COLOR="Silver"]
Isn't Britbox effectively being folded into ITVX ?

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 21-03-2022 at 11:12.
Old 21-03-2022, 11:46   #625
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Arqiva did pull the plug yesterday, mainly because RT ceased paying the bills for the studio output, if indeed they are paying anyone for anything now.
Well Media Guardian did report on March 18th:

Quote:
RT vanished from British television screens two weeks ago as a result of EU sanctions but the UK media regulator’s decision makes it almost impossible for it to return to the country’s airwaves.

The (OFCOM) decision does not stop RT, formerly known as Russia Today, publishing online output aimed at British audiences – which often reached larger audiences than the television channel – because Ofcom regulates only broadcast outlets.

The Guardian understands the parent company that produces RT’s UK-based output is in the process of being liquidated, with British-based staff expecting to lose their jobs. The television channel’s studios at Millbank Tower in Westminster were being emptied of equipment on Thursday afternoon.
https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/20...ther.html#more

---------- Post added at 11:46 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

Virgin Media O2 top bundles now include Netflix

Virgin Media O2 has refreshed its top packages, the Ultimate Volt bundle and the Biggest TV bundle, to include a Netflix Standard Plan.

https://advanced-television.com/2022...clude-netflix/
Old 21-03-2022, 12:17   #626
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post

[/COLOR]Virgin Media O2 top bundles now include Netflix

Virgin Media O2 has refreshed its top packages, the Ultimate Volt bundle and the Biggest TV bundle, to include a Netflix Standard Plan.

https://advanced-television.com/2022...clude-netflix/
They missed a trick there, if they had announced that at the time of the price increase many folk would maybe have been OK taking the increase, however I wonder if you will be able to pay the difference to have the full 4 screen UHD Netflix.

TBH I am getting better value on my SkyQ deal which includes the 4 screen version and Discovery plus which now would be £21 a month between the 2 alone.
Old 21-03-2022, 12:34   #627
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
They missed a trick there, if they had announced that at the time of the price increase many folk would maybe have been OK taking the increase, however I wonder if you will be able to pay the difference to have the full 4 screen UHD Netflix.

TBH I am getting better value on my SkyQ deal which includes the 4 screen version and Discovery plus which now would be £21 a month between the 2 alone.
You can upgrade to Netflix Premium for an extra £5pm
Quote:
For those who want to upgrade from the Netflix Standard Plan to a Premium Plan, Virgin Media O2 is offering the option to do so for £5 more per month so members of their household can enjoy Netflix in 4K on up to four devices simultaneously.
https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2022...-new-packages/

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 21-03-2022 at 13:36.
Old 21-03-2022, 12:44   #628
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
VM don't have a modern TV box model with inbuilt internet. The last model to have this is the model TV-only customers currently have.

All the modern boxes connect to the separate broadband routers. Since TV-only customers don't have VM broadband routers there would be no way to update the EPG or use apps.

I'm guessing most customers take multiple VM products and VM don't think it's worthwhile for the development costs involved in developing another model box.
Interesting observation, I had previously always assumed that requiring VM broadband in order to get a more modern box was a deliberate incentive to upsell.

Of course, they might have taken this into account when deciding whether to pay for the development costs too.
Old 21-03-2022, 13:11   #629
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK sources says "UKTV eventually want all their channels FTA and on Freeview, plans are already in action to get Alibi and GOLD FTA and on Freeview, the general feeling is EDEN will be scrapped and morphed into yesterday."
Old 21-03-2022, 14:19   #630
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
Isn't Britbox effectively being folded into ITVX ?
That's the impression I get. After all, all ITVX customers will receive britbox. Whether Britbox customers will get ITVX doesn't seem to have been announced.

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I had previously always assumed that requiring VM broadband in order to get a more modern box was a deliberate incentive to upsell.

Of course, they might have taken this into account when deciding whether to pay for the development costs too.
As had I and part of me thinks this might still be the case - downgrade the product more and more for TV-only customers in the hope they will get VM internet which I presume would make that customer a lot more profitable, and a lot more of value to the business.

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
Media Boy UK sources says "UKTV eventually want all their channels FTA and on Freeview, plans are already in action to get Alibi and GOLD FTA and on Freeview, the general feeling is EDEN will be scrapped and morphed into yesterday."
Thank you for this, and I guess they could achieve this almost straight away by replacing any timeshift channels with these other channels.
Closed Thread