Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus

Old 06-04-2022, 17:58   #1831
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post
So the talk and messaging to people about "if you break lockdown it could kill your granny" was a huge leap?

They've always been clear the rules were to save lives and so the other side of that coin is without sticking to them you were potentially costing lives...

We know people don't often react as well to the "use your common sense" line as opposed to "you must stay at home except for ..." which is exactly why they decided to engage with psychologists to scare people into restrictions (which they now retrospectively say wasn't needed and was a bad thing) and the whole "it could cost lives if you don't" messaging was definitely a part of it.
One the government of all parties would be very happy if all the population died before reaching pensionable age . As would all insurance companies. Old age is only good business wise for private service providers .
Two the whole message was about keeping people out of hospital ,therefore was about saving money for the state
Old 06-04-2022, 19:32   #1832
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Tesco and Lidl no longer offer free hand sanitiser or sprays to disinfect the trolley handles at the entrance to its stores.

I only saw 3 other people wearing masks in Tesco, and I was the only one masked in Lidl. Schoolkids coughing and sneezing in Lidl, so I left and came back later, armed with my bottle of soapy water.

I think quite quickly after COVID started we discovered it doesn't really survive long, if at all, on surfaces. Maybe hands because of how constant they can be within range of our mouths but otherwise the disinfected surfaces was more about security theatre - making people feel safe - than actually stopping the spread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There were only about 50-60% wearing masks in the shops in Glasgow last weekend and they’re still legally required until 18 April. I’m not sure why you’re even bothering to check what’s happening around you in your neck of the woods - after 2 years, I don’t think many people have an appetite to do any more than they have to (and in Scotland the appetite is clearly to do less).

If it causes a particular issue for you, you’re going to have to just stick to quiet periods to do your shopping.
Almost non-existent in London. People stopped wearing masks even when they were a requirement of TFL. It's just done now.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 20:04   #1833
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think quite quickly after COVID started we discovered it doesn't really survive long, if at all, on surfaces. Maybe hands because of how constant they can be within range of our mouths but otherwise the disinfected surfaces was more about security theatre - making people feel safe - than actually stopping the spread.

Almost non-existent in London. People stopped wearing masks even when they were a requirement of TFL. It's just done now.
I think a fair number chose not to comply were exempt from wearing one when they decided to bring them back in for Omicron, which initially was just shops and PT but then extended to basically all indoor settings, but had made little apparent difference before, and cases still went up with them on.

The evidence is somewhat weak because the theory behind it assumes the virus particles are large enough to be trapped in the mask.

Also with the number who wear them but don't clean them, reuse disposable masks, don't take them off properly, don't wash/sanitise hands when using the mask, it kind of almost negates the benefit in these instances.

Let's be fair a large amount of the mask hype is visual and fear, more theatre really. It is much better testing and staying home if you're ill but the first isn't really an option now either.

It's high time we get back to normal, cases, hospitalisations and deaths aren't causing people to die on hospital corridor trolleys and stuff like we were led to believe could happen at the start (and which was a tangible fear if we did nothing because italy). Now we have vaccines, therapeutics and more understanding how to treat and prevent it, it's much different.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 21:56   #1834
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Yes, I think the biggest thing is people have had some exposure to the virus either from the vaccine or previous infection so it is a different world.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 19:41   #1835
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

With the Downing Street parties and Ukraine holding the headlines, our eyes are off the ball concerning UK covid-19 deaths.

So I suppose we "just have to live with it" and ignore the rising deaths, just as we do with 'flu.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deaths.jpg (88.5 KB, 10 views)
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 20:08   #1836
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
With the Downing Street parties and Ukraine holding the headlines, our eyes are off the ball concerning UK covid-19 deaths.

So I suppose we "just have to live with it" and ignore the rising deaths, just as we do with 'flu.
Our eyes aren’t “off the ball” the only difference is that the media aren’t leading with it and sensationalising it.

And yes, we have to live it. Vaccine’s are available to anyone in this country that wants one.
Old 14-04-2022, 20:11   #1837
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:

7-day daily average is now 350, equal to 127,000 per year. You can forget the new case figures. Since free testing was pulled, most people who have Covid will not be testing and therefore not registering the result with the authorities.

We need to remain vigilant especially as the 3rd booster efficacy is now waning.

Last edited by ianch99; 14-04-2022 at 20:16.
ianch99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 20:31   #1838
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
We need to remain vigilant
I am, I’m always looking behind me, checking around corners, handing out flyers etc.
Old 14-04-2022, 23:17   #1839
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I am, I’m always looking behind me, checking around corners, handing out flyers etc.
Bless
Old 15-04-2022, 00:01   #1840
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Bless
Bless you too, that’s so sweet.
Old 15-04-2022, 00:06   #1841
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

I'm still doing my bit and offering tin foil hats to those wearing FFP2s in the street...

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 01:08   #1842
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post
I'm still doing my bit and offering tin foil hats to those wearing FFP2s in the street...
Well, you do have a very large collection of them…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 13:40   #1843
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Discharging hospital patients to care homes 'unlawful'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-61227709
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 15:12   #1844
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Discharging hospital patients to care homes 'unlawful'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-61227709
I'm sure it's not "protective ring" Matts fault though, definitely the care home staff / public / Public Health England and the NHS at fault. And he definitely wasn't warned about the problem on multiple occasions
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 20:20   #1845
richard-john56
cf.addict

Services: 1 gig broadband
richard-john56 has a spectacular aura about themrichard-john56 has a spectacular aura about themrichard-john56 has a spectacular aura about themrichard-john56 has a spectacular aura about them

Link for Coronavirus Statistics updated daily.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
richard-john56 is offline   Reply With Quote