Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Liz Truss Resigns [Who'll be the next Prime Minister?]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Liz Truss Resigns [Who'll be the next Prime Minister?]
Closed Thread

Old 24-09-2022, 20:00   #316
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: New Prime Minister: Liz Truss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Those on an NHS waiting list or needing ongoing care might notice the NI cut.
It doubt it was never going to make any meaningful difference.
The NHS just eats money, a fair bit is almost certainly being wasted.

The waiting list will probably take years to recover from the pandemic (it was already rising anyway).
At the start of 2016 it was 3.5 million, at the start of 2022, just before lockdowns, it was 4.40 million.
Bizarrely, in the first few months of the pandemic, it shrank to 3.8 million, but since then its shot up to 6.8 million.

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-su...-data-analysis

Baby, I was born this way.
Advertisement
Old 24-09-2022, 20:17   #317
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
These "lefties"?

---------- Post added at 08:43 ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 ----------

What salary level do you think a "decent job" has, so they don’t have to "steal our money"?
Anyone being taxed, don’t you think?
Old 24-09-2022, 20:21   #318
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Anyone being taxed, don’t you think?
You think £12,571 is a decent salary? People earning that receive benefits, so according to your post, "why should hard working people have to pay for you? It’s our money they are stealing because they can’t be bothered."

Or you could try answering the question with a figure - what salary level do you think a "decent job" has, so they don’t have to "steal our money"?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 25-09-2022 at 06:25.
Old 24-09-2022, 20:22   #319
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

Positive impact on the economy.

Interesting, but unsurprising, your loathing of the poor has you in the gutter describing them as stealing as opposed to condemning employers who pay poverty wages that need supported by “in work benefits”.

Contemptible.

“The poor will always be poor” should be on the front page of the next Conservative manifesto.
Well, if it draws in more investors and wealth creators, of course that will have a positive effect. If you think otherwise, instead of ridiculing the poster, why don’t you try explaining why you think the opposite?

I don’t loathe the poor at all, that’s just your spin. But I do think that if people are able to work, then they should do so rather than sponge off the rest of us. That, indeed, is as good as stealing.

I think you will find that most people paying taxes feel the same way.
Old 24-09-2022, 20:28   #320
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...pany-b90hdkj5z

Quote:
The prime minister’s chief of staff is being paid through his lobbying company in a highly unusual arrangement that could allow him to pay less tax.

Mark Fullbrook insists he is not being paid through his company for tax reasons and has obtained no tax benefit from the arrangement. However, he is refusing to explain the agreement that lets him direct government strategy without being directly employed by the government.

Previous holders of the role have been treated like any other special adviser (Spad), appointed on a temporary civil service contract and paid a salary that is made public. Fullbrook is instead a contractor and will receive any payment through Fullbrook Strategies, a private lobbying company he created in April but which he says has suspended commercial activities.

One Whitehall source said it was “unheard of” for a No 10 official of his seniority to be employed in this way although Fullbrook disputed this. It is unclear what the implications of the arrangement are from a financial and transparency perspective.

Between April and June, according to the Office of the Registrar of Consultant Lobbyists, Fullbrook’s company contacted the government on behalf of clients including the Libyan House of Representatives, which is opposed by the West and the UN, an energy provider and a PPE firm linked to a fundamentalist Christian sect.

It announced it had “suspended” its commercial activities earlier this month after Fullbrook was appointed by Liz Truss to be her top aide.

However he is continuing to use it as a vehicle to receive his publicly funded salary. The equivalent post under Boris Johnson carried a salary of £140,000.

The arrangement will lead to questions days after No 10 scrapped the so-called IR35 reforms of previous Conservative governments that were designed to stop people paying themselves via a company to avoid tax.

In 2019, HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) won a case against BBC presenters who were told to pay back hundreds of thousands of pounds in tax after working via personal service companies when they were employees in all but name.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 24-09-2022, 20:47   #321
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well, if it draws in more investors and wealth creators, of course that will have a positive effect.

“If” followed by “of course”. Priceless.

Quote:
If you think otherwise, instead of ridiculing the poster, why don’t you try explaining why you think the opposite?
I’m free to ridicule your spurious and unevidenced claims all I please. The most immediate issue is the fall in the pound, immediately giving everyone in a cost of living crisis greater inflationary pressure for anything which the baseline cost is either euro or dollars. I dunno, like oil.

Quote:
I don’t loathe the poor at all, that’s just your spin. But I do think that if people are able to work, then they should do so rather than sponge off the rest of us. That, indeed, is as good as stealing.
So it’s not stealing?

Quote:
I think you will find that most people paying taxes feel the same way.

I know there are mugs that have been convinced their enemy is folk on benefits and not those evading in billions in taxes in various wheezes.

Remember OB we know you’ve got form in this regard in wanting to steamroller workers rights and conditions.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...4&postcount=31

Last edited by jfman; 24-09-2022 at 20:51.
Old 24-09-2022, 21:08   #322
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

“If” followed by “of course”. Priceless.

I’m free to ridicule your spurious and unevidenced claims all I please. The most immediate issue is the fall in the pound, immediately giving everyone in a cost of living crisis greater inflationary pressure for anything which the baseline cost is either euro or dollars. I dunno, like oil.

So it’s not stealing?

I know there are mugs that have been convinced their enemy is folk on benefits and not those evading in billions in taxes in various wheezes.

Remember OB we know you’ve got form in this regard in wanting to steamroller workers rights and conditions.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...4&postcount=31
What this is, is a complete evasion of the points I made. I am not indulging you on this. I consider the post to which you are referring as unanswered.

Suits me.
Old 24-09-2022, 21:15   #323
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
What this is, is a complete evasion of the points I made. I am not indulging you on this. I consider the post to which you are referring as unanswered.

Suits me.
You may consider it as such but the rebuttal is clear, Comical Ali. Your post is baseless speculation, grounded in unhinged hope more than reality.

If it weren’t for your seething hatred for the poor I’d be genuinely worried about your state of mind. However you aren’t worthy of my concern.

Last edited by jfman; 24-09-2022 at 21:18.
Old 24-09-2022, 21:27   #324
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
You may consider it as such but the rebuttal is clear, Comical Ali. Your post is baseless speculation, grounded in unhinged hope more than reality.

If it weren’t for your seething hatred for the poor I’d be genuinely worried about your state of mind. However you aren’t worthy of my concern.
Yes, you rebut it, but as usual, you offer no explanation.

This is meant to be a discussion. So discuss.
Old 24-09-2022, 21:32   #325
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Yes, you rebut it, but as usual, you offer no explanation.

This is meant to be a discussion. So discuss.
OB the last time you had a boozy night on the forum I got a 24 hour ban from the thread so this is my final post for now. You state on one hand you aren’t indulging me, yet needlessly continue your tit for tat despite ignoring the point I made about the inflationary pressure on the cost of living resulting from the fall in the value of the pound.

Thus we can only conclude you have no meaningful insight to offer other than your insults of “lefties”, “the poor” and baseless speculation about the income of forum members with whom you disagree.

Your bitterness that Boris was ousted - by his party and not anyone else - as a justification for abandoning the manifesto, abandoning fiscal rules, saddling future generations with more debt for little/nothing in terms of future stability.

They’re at the roulette wheel with money we don’t even have and you’re blindly following.
Old 24-09-2022, 22:18   #326
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

You usually make good points, John. But OB has already said, very clearly, that he doesn't hate the poor. Indeed he, like most of us, have no reason to.

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

Quote:
OB the last time you had a boozy night on the forum I got a 24 hour ban from the thread so this is my final post for now. You state on one hand you aren’t indulging me, yet needlessly continue your tit for tat despite ignoring the point I made about the inflationary pressure on the cost of living resulting from the fall in the value of the pound.

Thus we can only conclude you have no meaningful insight to offer other than your insults of “lefties”, “the poor” and baseless speculation about the income of forum members with whom you disagree.

Your bitterness that Boris was ousted - by his party and not anyone else - as a justification for abandoning the manifesto, abandoning fiscal rules, saddling future generations with more debt for little/nothing in terms of future stability.

They’re at the roulette wheel with money we don’t even have and you’re blindly following.

Ah - "lefties"......

As regards the roulette wheel, as I've already said, they might as well roll the dice because doing nothing is just as disastrous.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 24-09-2022, 23:54   #327
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

torygraph saying Liz Truss faces a rebellion from Tory backbenchers against her tax cuts if the pound falls below the dollar
Old 25-09-2022, 08:44   #328
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
torygraph saying Liz Truss faces a rebellion from Tory backbenchers against her tax cuts if the pound falls below the dollar
$1.09 to the £ I do not think I have ever seen it this low
Old 25-09-2022, 09:21   #329
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
$1.09 to the £ I do not think I have ever seen it this low
Good job I’m not going to the US in the near future. I am however going to Spain in a couple of weeks and that’s fine as the Euro is also in the toilet.
Old 25-09-2022, 09:30   #330
jfman
Architect of Ideas

€1.12 the lowest it’s been all year.
Closed Thread