Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Looking for advice on running Ethernet in the walls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Looking for advice on running Ethernet in the walls

Old 31-03-2020, 09:45   #16
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Looking for advice on running Ethernet in the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
IIRC my powerline adaptors support 1GB
No powerlone on the market gets anywhere near that
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2020, 16:28   #17
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
If you're really unlucky and the house builder has cut cost corners you might have Paramount Partition walls which are basically plasterboard sandwiches separated by a cardboard honeycomb or lattice in lieu of proper studs as a load bearing mechanism.

These things are a pain in the backside to drop a cable down as you have to force your puller rod down through it. This type of wall was popular in the 70s and 80s but some builders were still using them up until recently.
I've replaced a couple of the plug sockets with ones that come with USB ports and had a look behind the wall box, couldn't see any honeycomb like that so I think I am okay. I might procure one of those inspection cams to do some more exploring to get an idea of what I'm in for (I can always sell it on ebay afterwards).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Having implemented network installs and upgrades on Corporates and Universities,I understand this, but I was asking "his" reasons...
As has been mentioned, it's partly future proofing. We're hitting the cusp of gigabit internet access with some users already being able to get it, but to be able to take advantage of that across the network, gigabit networking will be a bottleneck. Even though 10G ethernet in the home is a couple of years away for even heavy users such as myself, right now my needs go beyond what a powerline can give me, I need at least actual gigabit and the only way to do that is Ethernet. So I may as well run Ethernet that's capable of 10G, even if there's a few intermediate steps to 2.5G/5G in the meantime.

I do stream 4k from my NAS, which is currently next to the media player but I'd much prefer to move all that equipment elsewhere.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 16:52   #18
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Here's a stud wall with single noggin. Its only 1.30min long.

pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 15:39   #19
desi112
cf.member

Services: 200MB VM Cable
desi112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you thought about running cables outside and then back in? This is what I did to get a few CAT6A points in a new build property...it was a lot easier.
desi112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 16:03   #20
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

To be honest Desi, that's exactly where I'm leaning at the moment.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 13:08   #21
SpecklePattern
cf.member

SpecklePattern is an unknown quantity at this point

Just read this thread and wondered if you'd started wiring the ethernet?
SpecklePattern is offline   Reply With Quote