Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Old 28-11-2020, 09:17   #241
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox35 View Post
Why would VM pay Liberty Global? Virgin Media IS Liberty Global. Liberty Global PAY Richard Branson's Virgin Group.
Virgin Media is just the brand name LG chose to continue to use under licence from the Virgin Group in the the UK and Eire. As discussed earlier, LG will also still have to pay TiVo/ROVI for elements of patented tech used in its Horizon software, similarly to Sky for software within its Sky+/Q and nearly all other PVR manufacturers which all use TiVo patents.
Liberty Global's software arm is an independent entity from Virgin Media. So there will be a payment from VM for its services. There are clear benefits to this - one being if you sell the software or ISP businesses, you know the true costs of running that business which we would be more opaque if you didn't agree a charge.

At the moment, both entities are indeed 100% owned by Liberty Global but next year, VM UK will only be 50% owned by Liberty Global, 50% Telefonica. The licencing fees will still continue then.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-11-2020, 09:58   #242
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Liberty Global's software arm is an independent entity from Virgin Media. So there will be a payment from VM for its services. There are clear benefits to this - one being if you sell the software or ISP businesses, you know the true costs of running that business which we would be more opaque if you didn't agree a charge.

At the moment, both entities are indeed 100% owned by Liberty Global but next year, VM UK will only be 50% owned by Liberty Global, 50% Telefonica. The licencing fees will still continue then.
The obvious reason to ‘charge’ other entities where you are within the same umbrella is tax ‘efficiency’. The other is to make it easier to sell constituent parts off at a later date.

On a separate note my shiny new remote is due on Tuesday.

Last edited by jfman; 28-11-2020 at 10:03.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 10:28   #243
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox35 View Post
Why would VM pay Liberty Global? Virgin Media IS Liberty Global. Liberty Global PAY Richard Branson's Virgin Group.
Virgin Media is just the brand name LG chose to continue to use under licence from the Virgin Group in the the UK and Eire. As discussed earlier, LG will also still have to pay TiVo/ROVI for elements of patented tech used in its Horizon software, similarly to Sky for software within its Sky+/Q and nearly all other PVR manufacturers which all use TiVo patents.
Although LG owns VM, they are still separate companies. Liberty Global own the software and pay for the Horizon development, patent licences etc. So if Virgin Media don't pay LG in return, there's then a hole in LG's accounts. As jfman also says, if the LG company that owns the Horizon software is based in a lower tax jurisdiction, all the better for John Malone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Another good reason why VM pay LG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The obvious reason to ‘charge’ other entities where you are within the same umbrella is tax ‘efficiency’. The other is to make it easier to sell constituent parts off at a later date.

On a separate note my shiny new remote is due on Tuesday.
It sounds like the 360 is more similar to Sky Q than Tivo in terms of functionality. There were a few features I really missed when I switched to Q: mainly wishlists and 14 day EPG (which I still miss 4 years later!)
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 11:13   #244
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0363 View Post
That's one more thing that I forgot to mention about the 360 - a lot (but not yet all) channels allow you to catch up simply by scrolling back in the EPG. For example if you miss the news on Channel 4 (or Bake Off or whatever) you can simply scroll back and select the programme and it will play from the begining (solves the issue on most channels of a programme not buffering on the disc whilst watching a recording) - you can then scroll through/pause/rewind etc. as normal. Channel 4 catch up is also in HD (All4 was only SD IIRC). You can scroll back for about a month dependent on the channel. The BBC is the exception in that scrolling back and selecting pushes you to iPlayer.
That's a feature that YouView introduced ten years ago which I thought more companies would copy. It's a really good way to access a programme quickly if you know approximately when it was on.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 11:39   #245
Chris James
cf.member

Chris James is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have two V6 boxes at the moment, are you able to just update one of them to Horizon? You would then get the best of both worlds and not be losing existing recordings.
Chris James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 11:41   #246
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris James View Post
If you have two V6 boxes at the moment, are you able to just update one of them to Horizon? You would then get the best of both worlds and not be losing existing recordings.
No, it’s all or nothing.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 12:46   #247
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
No, it’s all or nothing.
That's what I understood. Any updating process takes place over both (or all) V6 boxes. VM send a new remote control for each box in a household.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 15:23   #248
Chris James
cf.member

Chris James is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
That's what I understood. Any updating process takes place over both (or all) V6 boxes. VM send a new remote control for each box in a household.
Thanks for the replies. Do you think unplugging one box whilst the other updates would work or would it update the box as soon as it was plugged back in, or worse, not work at all?
Chris James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 17:03   #249
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris James View Post
Thanks for the replies. Do you think unplugging one box whilst the other updates would work or would it update the box as soon as it was plugged back in, or worse, not work at all?
Give up. You’re simply not going to get what you want.
When you go for the migration, there are changes to your account.
Old 28-11-2020, 19:30   #250
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

Quick one. My parents decided to make the switch and did so online but have yet to receive any sort of confirmation. Are they supposed to get an email?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 19:31   #251
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Quick one. My parents decided to make the switch and did so online but have yet to receive any sort of confirmation. Are they supposed to get an email?
Check My Virginmedia for an order.
Old 28-11-2020, 19:36   #252
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

Ah never knew that existed. Not been a Virgin customer for many years. Cheers @RobboEdin. Coming Wednesday.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 14:54   #253
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Remote control has arrived! Upgrade should take 30 mins apparently.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 15:06   #254
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

I took up the offer to upgrade my two V6 boxes to TV 360 a week ago shortly after I received the email from Virgin Media. I confirmed I was the account holder and clicked the upgrade button and was taken through to a page that stated that I would receive a confirmation and that new remote controls for my boxes would be sent to me and to allow seven days for everything to be put in place by Virgin Media.

Since then... nothing, no confirmation email and no new remotes. I checked my orders on My Virgin Media but there is nothing listed there. Is this normal or has something gone awry?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 15:19   #255
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Remote control has arrived! Upgrade should take 30 mins apparently.
l await your review.