Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Reacher

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Reacher

Old 06-02-2022, 23:48   #31
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Reacher

Indeed. You may not appreciate the ‘morons in space’ schtick they’re doing but the show is definitely internally consistent. Also, just because the set design doesn’t look like Star Trek doesn’t mean it’s not credible or realistic. It’s sci fi fantasy for smeg’s sake, nothing can travel faster than light so portraying a ship that can is purely down to creative production design. You can like the design or not but to try to argue it’s unrealistic is just silly. I seem to recall a not dissimilar list of whinges over the Mandalorian when they failed to waste an episode showing his ship getting fixed.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2022, 23:50   #32
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Well you totally missed the point of The Orville. Would have thought having Seth at the lead would have given you the clue
Yes he's missed the point, it's a Comedy.
Old 07-02-2022, 00:04   #33
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Indeed. You may not appreciate the ‘morons in space’ schtick they’re doing but the show is definitely internally consistent. Also, just because the set design doesn’t look like Star Trek doesn’t mean it’s not credible or realistic. It’s sci fi fantasy for smeg’s sake, nothing can travel faster than light so portraying a ship that can is purely down to creative production design. You can like the design or not but to try to argue it’s unrealistic is just silly. I seem to recall a not dissimilar list of whinges over the Mandalorian when they failed to waste an episode showing his ship getting fixed.
but he creamed over Dune
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:28   #34
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
All my friends rant and rave about The Orville and say it is more like Star Trek than Discovery is. I tried it and couldn't get into it for two reasons. You for all intents and purposes have highly trained Starfleet officers who are constantly making inappropriate jokes either on the bridge during tense situations or during diplomatic talks. It wouldn't happen.
You know its supposed to be slightly comedic, right ?
JFYI, They have actually toned the comedy down a bit as its progressed.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:36   #35
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
whinges over the Mandalorian when they failed to waste an episode showing his ship getting fixed.
it wasn't that they didn't spend an entire episode showing it getting fixed, it is that they didn't show it getting fixed at all when it it literally crashed into a planet and they through several floors of ice caves or whatever it was the ship was in pieces. They can spend half an episode showing him rebuilding a nabboo star fighter but they can't make a dialogue reference or 60 second showing his ship in a work shop/yard being repaired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
but he creamed over Dune
absolutely flipping brilliant

Here's another good one for you. Last year I was flicking through the channels while I was having lunch one day and an episode of MacGyver had just started. It started off with him and his friend being trapped in something like a cargo container and they were sitting there gently rocking backwards and forwards. The scene then changed and they cut to an external view of the container being in something like a hurricane or tornado being carried over a great distance and constantly rolling over on the ground. It then cut back to MacGyver and him gently rocking backwards and forwards talking and then the outside shot again and it went back and forth for about 5 minutes. I laughed my ass off.

I don't sit there with a check list picking through episodes. They choose what to show and tell us in the stories and when something happens I can think "oh wow, that's cool, that would actually happen like that (in the case of the amazing physics in The Expanse) or in the case of MacGyver, what a joke. It was like a constant contradiction and was as if they thought the audience were stupid. It didn't make sense at all.

I'll have one last nit pick at Bobba Fett. How many times does he have to be challenged or attacked before he takes actions. He keeps backing down, letting assassins go, giving appeasement gestures, "talking", not asserting his authority when required and behaving like a complete pansy. "If you guys won't stand up for your planet and territory don't worry, sit there and do nothing and I will do it for you.................but I probably won't and I am going to get the Mandalorian to do it instead........watch this space."
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:59   #36
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

An author I follow (@scalzi) summed it up for me

Quote:
We binged the new Reacher series this weekend and it delivered on what was promised, which was a large slab of human beef repeatedly punching an entire corrupt town in the face, ostensibly for justice. I liked the Tom Cruise Reacher just fine, but this version is more on point.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 13:21   #37
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Secondly, the sets and especially the bridge was too plain and simplistic and you can't believe it has all the necessary controls and functionality for a starship.
I don't see a huge difference in design between the Ent-D bridge and the Orville's. But then that's likely on purpose based on Seth Macfarlane's love of Star Trek
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5yl0fs35wn841.jpg (169.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg nnmuitnl9mp71.jpg (75.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-02-2022, 17:24   #38
noel43
cf.addict

Services: Tivo. XL (tv) L (bb)
noel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Reacher was 36 (in the books) when he left the Military - the actor playing him in the series is 38.
If you liked Reacher, try author Nick Petrie's series (Peter Ash) book 1 The Drifter. Just reading second book and enjoying it.
noel43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 18:17   #39
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel43 View Post
If you liked Reacher, try author Nick Petrie's series (Peter Ash) book 1 The Drifter. Just reading second book and enjoying it.
Thanks.

In return, I’d recommend the Spenser books, by Robert B Parker (there are 50 in total).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 19:27   #40
noel43
cf.addict

Services: Tivo. XL (tv) L (bb)
noel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Thanks.

In return, I’d recommend the Spenser books, by Robert B Parker (there are 50 in total).
Read some of them, will get back to them at some point.
noel43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 01:06   #41
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Just finished watching Reacher and loved it. I can't wait for more and the good news is that this is the kind of character and series which can go on indefinitely and keep telling different stories similar to Jack Bauer and 24. It is a huge coincidence but it worked out very nicely that I watched this straight after watching the latest season of Dexter. Lana being in it was a nice surprise and the icing on the cake.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:09   #42
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Who is "Lana" ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:52   #43
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Glad it was renewed so quickly.... Bring it on.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:12   #44
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Who is "Lana" ?
Watch the whole thing, it is only 4 minutes long.

I wish there was a 20 hour video of every scene she was in from all 10 seasons.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:14   #45
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

arrrr you mean Meg
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote