Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Alberto Contador handed two-year ban for doping offence

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Alberto Contador handed two-year ban for doping offence

Old 06-02-2012, 13:14   #16
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: Alberto Contador handed two-year ban for doping offence

I know that doping is rife in cycling. I also know that many forms of doping are very hard to spot, and as a result riders are taken out of competition for things like having elevated hematocrit values.

It's just that the evidence in this case isn't very compelling when there are many cases of athletes inadvertently ingesting clenbuterol. I'm all for cleaning up the sport, but it seems that Contador is just being used to set an example.
Old 06-02-2012, 13:15   #17
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Look l respect your opinion but l disagree with you on Contador as yes there have been quite a few cases of Clenbuterol found in some sportsmen but as we have seen in professional cycling that there have been many high profile cyclists found guilty of taking drugs in the last 10 years and as the old saying goes there is usually no smoke without fire and Contador is just one of many l believe that have been found out taking performance enhancing drugs.
Whoah - hold on there, horsey!

The problem with making sweeping statements like that, is that they can be re-applied to other groups of people.

For instance, I believe that there may be some fraud by some benefits claimants, but according to your statement above, I should be thinking that way about most benefits claimants*.

*I don't, and I won't.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 13:30   #18
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Whoah - hold on there, horsey!

The problem with making sweeping statements like that, is that they can be re-applied to other groups of people.

For instance, I believe that there may be some fraud by some benefits claimants, but according to your statement above, I should be thinking that way about most benefits claimants*.

*I don't, and I won't.
Steady on there as l said that there has been many cases of Professional cyclists found taking banned performance enhancing drugs and many people within professional cycling know that this goes on and yet cycling tends to deny that it has never had widespread doping and yet we seem to have rider after rider being found guilty lately and that just confirms that there is still a serious problem in the sport and also what has this to do with benefit claimants as that is a totally different subject altogether.
Old 06-02-2012, 13:37   #19
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Steady on there as l said that there has been many cases of Professional cyclists found taking banned performance enhancing drugs and many people within professional cycling know that this goes on and yet cycling tends to deny that it has never had widespread doping and yet we seem to have rider after rider being found guilty lately and that just confirms that there is still a serious problem in the sport and also this has nothing to do with benefit claimants as that is a totally different subject altogether.
No-one is denying there's a serious problem with doping in cycling (and few would argue that it doesn't need cleaning up). But it seems that we now have a situation where people do or don't get banned for a positive test based on the location where the test took place. If you test positive for Clenbuterol in Mexico or China it's OK as those are 'high risk' areas where meat regularly contains Clenbuterol. If you test positive for traces in Spain, you get a 2 year ban, as meat shouldn't contain Clenbuterol. This isn't right.