Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 13-12-2020, 14:05   #5041
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Brexit-Transitional Period Ends 31/12/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I don't think this has all been choreographed perfectly but talk of deploying the Royal Navy and the deadline finishing after the Sunday papers had all gone to press and were being read all look well timed.

Fishing looks more like the length of the transition period, enabling all to adapt.

In terms of how the UK will regulate itself post-Brexit, I don't see the UK going down the light-touch regulation route. I don't think it's imposing on the UK's sovereignty if a mechanism is set up that ended a free trade deal if the UK or EU did introduce legislation that made either a significant light-regulatory touch competitor. A free trade agreement is a privilege between two trading blocs or countries, it's not a right and surely such deals are always reviewed anyway.

I believe a deal will be struck.
I and everybody else on the planet, must have missed when this opportunity to negotiate new terms for EU membership happened.
Prior to the Lisbon Treaty there wasn't any mechanism for leaving the EU.
The EU isn't suggesting future renegotiation on fishing and level playing field, just that we have to do as France and Germany say.
Advertisement
Old 13-12-2020, 14:38   #5042
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
I and everybody else on the planet, must have missed when this opportunity to negotiate new terms for EU membership happened.
Irrelevant as I'm talking about the current negotiations. We've left the EU. But I'm sure Margaret Thatcher would disagree with you negotiating new terms.
Quote:
Prior to the Lisbon Treaty there wasn't any mechanism for leaving the EU.
Bit of a random fact! We've left the EU.
Quote:
The EU isn't suggesting future renegotiation on fishing and level playing field, just that we have to do as France and Germany say.
I didn't say the EU was suggesting future renegotiation on fishing.
The negotiations are around the mechanism which would trigger the end of a free-trade deal if either side sought to undercut the other.
Where is your source for saying that have to do as France and Germany say?
Old 13-12-2020, 14:52   #5043
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Irrelevant as I'm talking about the current negotiations. We've left the EU. But I'm sure Margaret Thatcher would disagree with you negotiating new terms.

Bit of a random fact! We've left the EU.

I didn't say the EU was suggesting future renegotiation on fishing.
The negotiations are around the mechanism which would trigger the end of a free-trade deal if either side sought to undercut the other.
Where is your source for saying that have to do as France and Germany say?
A review of a deal, means you have to agree for it to continue, otherwise it simply ends.

David Cameron tried to get amendments, what happened? Nothing.
Where have the EU said that the EU will take control of UK waters, but will return control at some point in the future?
Where have the EU said that the UK will have any sort of say on new "level playing field" rules the EU will impose on the UK?
Old 13-12-2020, 15:05   #5044
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
A review of a deal, means you have to agree for it to continue, otherwise it simply ends.

David Cameron tried to get amendments, what happened? Nothing.
Where have the EU said that the EU will take control of UK waters, but will return control at some point in the future?
Where have the EU said that the UK will have any sort of say on new "level playing field" rules the EU will impose on the UK?
Deals can remain as is.
David Cameron did get changes as did Margaret Thatcher. The Brexit press were not particularly kind to David Cameron though. But we've left the EU, this is not 2016. So we all need to move on.
As for your other points, asking people to constantly disprove your heavily-loaded and uncited questions is outside my available time but I commend Sky News as a good source.
Old 13-12-2020, 15:37   #5045
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Don't worry mate, I've got all my fine wines and cheeses
French, no doubt.
Old 13-12-2020, 17:01   #5046
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
French, no doubt.
Quite a few of them yes, along with some of our best. Good to have a choice at a reasonable price I find, that may not be the case in our brave new future.
Old 13-12-2020, 17:30   #5047
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Quite a few of them yes, along with some of our best. Good to have a choice at a reasonable price I find, that may not be the case in our brave new future.
There's always Australian wines.
Old 13-12-2020, 17:50   #5048
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Infinitely better than the French rubbish.

Battery acid, fizzy dry battery acid and then the contents of a pub ashtray

Last edited by heero_yuy; 13-12-2020 at 17:53. Reason: Description
Old 13-12-2020, 18:34   #5049
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Oh I've tried wine from every country Good and bad everywhere. Definitely a fan of NZ Sauvignon Blancs. We do some good sparking wines, but have yet to taste decent British red wine.

Don't think antipodean cheese travels too well though...
Old 13-12-2020, 18:48   #5050
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Oh I've tried wine from every country Good and bad everywhere. Definitely a fan of NZ Sauvignon Blancs. We do some good sparking wines, but have yet to taste decent British red wine.

Don't think antipodean cheese travels too well though...
Whats wrong with English cheeses?
Old 13-12-2020, 19:27   #5051
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Whats wrong with English cheeses?
Nothing, I love my wensleydale, a but also like camembert.

Guess you're more of a Dairylea fan ?
Old 13-12-2020, 19:56   #5052
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Nothing, I love my wensleydale, a but also like camembert.

Guess you're more of a Dairylea fan ?
Idiotic profiling as usual.
Old 13-12-2020, 22:36   #5053
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
EU and UK still ‘far apart’ but Brexit deal hopes rise

People briefed on the negotiations said the two sides were inching forward in their discussions on how to design a mechanism that would preserve a “level playing field” between the two sides’ companies even as EU and UK rules in areas such as environmental law potentially diverge over the years to come.

Brussels has pushed the idea of a system that would allow either side to request consultations and ultimately introduce tariffs if it was concerned its companies were being put at a competitive disadvantage.

The UK rejected previous iterations of the idea as an affront to sovereignty, but over the weekend modifications were discussed in a bid to address its concerns. The talks have covered issues such as a role for arbitration and the criteria for establishing when there is economic harm.
https://www.ft.com/content/6a6d5960-...a-ee583b314ee3
Old 13-12-2020, 22:44   #5054
Mr K
Woke and proud !

A deal is coming thank goodness. Just a matter of how Boris can sell it to the No Deal fanatics.
Old 13-12-2020, 23:11   #5055
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
A deal is coming thank goodness. Just a matter of how Boris can sell it to the No Deal fanatics.
Exactly. They just want to punish the EU as they resent once being part of it...even if such actions harm the UK more!

But I'm hopeful that commonsense will prevail.
Closed Thread