Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

Old 21-07-2020, 12:31   #61
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

If you think you have got it bad check this out. Even trying to load this webpage felt like I was back on dialup. A quick reboot of the shub fixed it:

General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-07-2020, 14:04   #62
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB

Wish a reboot would fix mine....I've just given up...VM don't care. My contact end around the start of September, I think I'll just move services. It's sad really I've been with VM from the start...
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
If you think you have got it bad check this out. Even trying to load this webpage felt like I was back on dialup. A quick reboot of the shub fixed it:

JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 14:14   #63
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Can you remember when you started to have problems. Was you on 350mbits prior to 500 and did you get full speed then?
Old 21-07-2020, 14:51   #64
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future

I did get 500mb NP, but once I started to look into the speeds recently I noticed how slow it had become. The kids had been saying for a bit before that
Old 21-07-2020, 15:08   #65
General Maximus
Ran Away

Just wondering if there was a particular point in time you noticed it and if it coincided with any equipment changes in the house (like you bought a new xbox).
Old 21-07-2020, 22:55   #66
JMcB
cf.geek

No, we didn't have any hardware changes. My kids said it's been slow for weeks now, but I didn't notice until I started to look into it
Old 22-07-2020, 17:39   #67
JMcB
cf.geek

On the phone with VM today again, done all the same tests Tec booked for the morning ������
Old 22-07-2020, 19:08   #68
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I hope you're getting some kind of a discount at the moment because i think you maybe entitled to it until your speed is increased.
Old 22-07-2020, 22:17   #69
JMcB
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I hope you're getting some kind of a discount at the moment because i think you maybe entitled to it until your speed is increased.
I was just thinking that, but let's get it fixed first then we can talk money.
Old 22-07-2020, 22:19   #70
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
On the phone with VM today again, done all the same tests Tec booked for the morning ������
With regards to getting to the bottom of this I suggest the following:

1) He will see that two techs have been out previously and what work they have completed. Being confident that the fault isn't VM's end he will no doubt suggest that it is your laptop or your new router that is the problem. Being very calm and polite let him know that you have done multiple speed tests directly to the shub, wired from your laptop, as well as wireless tests from your phone and other devices and they have all delivered the same result no matter what device is used and whether it be wired or wireless so you believe the issue isn't your end and on VM's side. It isn't about telling the tech what to do or who knows best but simply providing him with as much diagnostic information as possible. You should also let him know that you used to be able to get full speed and this problem has only manifested itself recently.

2) He will no doubt check all the connections around the house as well as your connection to the cabinet. If he comes back and says he can't see anything wrong ask him if there is any way (as in a phone call) he can see if there is a capacity issue in the area or any other network issues which would be affecting your speed. I am sure he will know already but it just gives him a nudge to ensures he covers all the bases.
Old 23-07-2020, 09:47   #71
JMcB
cf.geek

Guys here now, definitely 2nd or 3rd line support, very nice and helpful.
He showed me the capacity in the area and for 1 blip it got to 60% rest of the week it was well in its low 40s.
He's talked about Sam Knowles. VM use to get real time spread tests.
Max he was getting was 200Mb

Hi did say that Samsung s7 phones are well known for creating problems on the network....

Don't know how much I believe this I've had my s7edge from it came out and never had a problem with it or the network

Last edited by JMcB; 23-07-2020 at 10:21.
Old 23-07-2020, 11:11   #72
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Sam Knows (SK) is essentially a continuous monitoring on your line using a repurposed router with custom software (earlier ones were able to have full software applied and used as routers). You plug into network (router or SH) and then plug other devices into the SK box (this is so the SK box can pause testing when you load the network). The box tests speeds, ping, UDP all sorts of things and you get access to a dash board so you can see results plotted on graphs.

I used to have a box but now removed. It was a really useful tool as it rules out any possible PC issues either in PC, NIC, cable, O/S, driver (though problem in SK unit, cable or ports would still cause local issue).

The graphs can show if there are cyclical issues (e.g. speed drops every day at 1600-2000), point of time change (jitter increased at certain date).

Used to be really useful but the monitoring relationship changed and I don't have it any more. (NOTE : I say this as a customer/participant - I have no knowledge beyond end of monitoring of the relationship).
Old 24-07-2020, 01:47   #73
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Did the tech do anything?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 02:49   #74
General Maximus
Ran Away

If they have acknowledged there is a capacity issue you should be moving down to 350mbits at the very least; there is no point paying for speed you can't possible get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
Hi did say that Samsung s7 phones are well known for creating problems on the network....
absolute rubbish and I want to say bs if the swear filter doesnt punish me
Old 24-07-2020, 15:33   #75
JMcB
cf.geek

VM tec showed me the capacity of the area, it for the most part was around 35% to mid 40s and it only peeked at around 60% once over the week. So they have a load of room for capacity.

In the end he got over 500mb on which Broadband checker website, he said he didn't trust speedtest.com.
But sure the second he went I plugged the laptop in and got 7MB ����

But I've connected everything back up again and it seems fine for now.

The Samsung s7 bit I think is a bit of BS myself. He started going on about Android updates and falling off the network...