Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What are you reading?

Old 20-11-2004, 19:14   #31
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Re: What are you reading?

Ellis Peters cadfael chronicles
just finished tad williams "the war of the flowers"

Old Age And Treachery Will Defeat Youth and Enthusiasm Everytime.
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-11-2004, 19:26   #32
homealone

I'm reading 'The Scatterlings' by Isobelle Carmody.

its just a SF book I picked up in an Oxfam shop, for taking on holiday, that I never got round to reading.

Its about a girl who wakes up in a wrecked police flyer, with no memory of who she is, on a planet with a two tier society, i.e. an underclass, whom she meets after finding it was their sabotage that crashed the flyer.....

she also keeps hearing 'voices' in her head - thats the first 50 pages, its been quite good, so far.
Old 21-11-2004, 03:33   #33
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Re-reading the same copy of Pratchett's 'Moving Pictures' I bought at Reading station on the way to my Oxford interview in 1991 (I failed).

Quote:
and a nice sideways swipe at the internet.
One of the best satires on free-market capitalism I've read. Working for ntl, a lot of it was painfully familiar...
BBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2004, 03:44   #34
sir_drinks_alot
Inactive

Services: WNYC
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age

the sunday times
sir_drinks_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2004, 16:06   #35
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

Just finished 'Teach Yourself Art History' by Grant Pooke & Graham Witham - and I've been trying to read Tom Jones by Henry Fielding for the last year
cookie_365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2004, 16:17   #36
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Quote:
and I've been trying to read Tom Jones by Henry Fielding for the last year
Make the effort - it's one of my all-time favourites and a great read.
BBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 16:23   #37
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Thought I'd ressurrect this one..

I'm presently reading a book I found in the depths of my daughter's room.

The World's Greatest Rock'n'Roll Scandals by David Cavanagh.

A fascinating read(even if slightly out of date) and as you can guess not a lot of laughs.Until that is I reached the section on Keith Moon.Quite a few laugh out loud moments here.

Like this one at a gig in San Francisco.

Quote:
Pete Townshend becomes increasingly distressed at the erratic timekeeping of his drumming friend.He's slowing down by the bar, as the night's potion of drink and drugs bubbles in his system.'Play faster!!' roars Townsend,'play faster'.Moon is quite obviously in a spot of bother,so a doctor is summoned with the necessary pick-me-ups in his syringes.During a quiet section in the song Moon is given a twin boost in his ankles.He proceeds to play like a madman, flailing away at his cymbals and lashing into his drums.All the time Townshend is screaming 'Play slower,play slower!!'
Old 19-06-2005, 16:32   #38
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

At the moment, an illustrated World Atlas. Its got loads of facts and photos too so I am dreaming of places I want to travel off too some day.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 16:36   #39
homealone

I'm working my way through a box of old Sci-Fi books, that I rescued from the attic. The current one is 'Cycle of Fire' by Hal Clement, next will be 'Hothouse' by Brian Aldiss.
Old 19-06-2005, 16:37   #40
LemonyBrainAid
Inactive

Services: 50MB Virgin w/ TiVo 1TB
LemonyBrainAid has a bronze arrayLemonyBrainAid has a bronze arrayLemonyBrainAid has a bronze array
LemonyBrainAid has a bronze arrayLemonyBrainAid has a bronze arrayLemonyBrainAid has a bronze arrayLemonyBrainAid has a bronze array

War and Peace.

...not

Doctor Who - The Monsters Inside

And

Visual Basic .NET in 21 Days

LemonyBrainAid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 16:42   #41
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

Sci-Fi kevin j andersons "a forest of stars" number 2 in series
aliens, earthlings, space gypsys etc

fits in with my sig I suppose

Old Age And Treachery Will Defeat Youth and Enthusiasm Everytime.
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 17:22   #42
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonyBrainAid

Visual Basic .NET in 21 Days
Crikey !!! You are keen !!!
Best of luck to you.
Programming used to drive me mad that I never want to ever go near it again.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 17:26   #43
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

I've just finished Dan 'The Da Vinci Code' Brown's Angel and Demons - a fantastic thriller on how Christianity and science can co-exist and even inter-mingle.

I thoroughly recommend it!

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 17:48   #44
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

"Darwin's Children" by Greg Bear
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 18:23   #45
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

after reading 'touching the void', i've just been recommended about a dozen more mountaineering books... fascinating stuff!
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote