Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Strange speeds this morning.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Strange speeds this morning.

Old 26-02-2018, 20:52   #31
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Re: Strange speeds this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Getting a bit crazy now

I wonder who the lucky 18% are who get better than that
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-02-2018, 21:12   #32
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I think they use the upload speed as part of the "faster than" thing.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 21:13   #33
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
I wonder who the lucky 18% are who get better than that
well spotted. That makes me think that speedtest.net is reporting an incorrect result to the user because as you can see below my significantly slower speed is faster than 98% of the population which makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that nearly one in five people (1/5) have a connection greater than 600mbits. It is more likely that kabaal is getting around the 150mbits mark and it is being mis-reported some how. I know last year they were doing fttp trials in some remote village up north where they were getting gigabit speed but that has got to be less than 0.1% of the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
I think they use the upload speed as part of the "faster than" thing.
possibly but that wouldn't account for the 82%, if anything I would expect it to be significantly less. I know plenty of people who are on Openreach 76/20 (or equivalent from another isp) so your 6mbits up pales in comparison and definitely wouldn't be faster than four out of five users. 6mbits up and 82% faster than everyone else actually sounds like a 100/6 connection.

Last edited by General Maximus; 26-02-2018 at 21:23.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 21:26   #34
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Nah speedtest isn't reporting it wrong, i'm actually seeing those speeds in real time. I only did the speedtest tonight as i noticed uTorrent was reporting the file i was nabbing was coming in a 57MB/s which was a bit of a shock.

For example Linux test file just now, not quite hitting the speeds i was getting earlier but close and certainly not the 100mbps / 12MB/s ish i'm supposed to get
[

Last edited by Kabaal; 26-02-2018 at 21:41.
Old 27-02-2018, 09:54   #35
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Is your config still showing your "normal" rate?
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 13:08   #36
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

It's not the first time Virgin was testing higher speeds, they did it with 350Mbit.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 17:13   #37
kev445
cf.member

kev445 is on a distinguished roadkev445 is on a distinguished road

To me it looks like you’ve triggered a bug in the modems firmware, whether this is caused by you opening a port is up for debate… It looks like your modem is not regulating your download, it’s allowing you to use all the available capacity.
kev445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 17:33   #38
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev445 View Post
it’s allowing you to use all the available capacity.
sweet, but it doesn't bode well for us all having a 500mbit connection if 500mbits is the only capacity left.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:51   #39
kev445
cf.member

kev445 is on a distinguished roadkev445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
sweet, but it doesn't bode well for us all having a 500mbit connection if 500mbits is the only capacity left.
Let's say I am correct (let's be honest we're all guessing), there could be many reasons why he isn't able to utilise ALL the available capacity.
  • Other users downloading, congestion
  • Superhub / Modem CPU unable to cope with download speeds
  • Not enough upload available to send ACKs quick enough
  • Virgin Media network config not designed for speeds over 350Mb.

Or a million other reasons !
kev445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:51   #40
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

I wonder if OP remembers which / if any, changes they made before they noticed this?
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:28   #41
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Not sure tbh, all i remember is following an online guide so none of it stuck in my mind but glancing through the various google results just now none of them seem to suggest changing anything unusual so i'd guess i didn't either.