Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Beginner's Guide to Testing and Improving Connection Speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Beginner's Guide to Testing and Improving Connection Speeds

Old 14-04-2011, 12:37   #16
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice
Re: Beginner's Guide to Testing and Improving Connection Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccojames View Post
Link is dead, bit like the 'Superhub' I just got installed!!!
The link only works if you are connecting through your cable network - if he tried connecting via another network you get 403 error. Just wondering how you were connecting if your Superhub isn't working.

Through Virgin the link does work (at least for me and, apparently, others).
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2011, 13:56   #17
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbxxl View Post
The link only works if you are connecting through your cable network - if he tried connecting via another network you get 403 error.
Oh, okay. Fair enough I suppose. Didn't actually realise that
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 16:06   #18
riccojames
Inactive

riccojames is an unknown quantity at this point

it was through the hub, still no joy
riccojames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 17:34   #19
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

its probably the firmware bug, try turning the firewall on, or if it is on, turn it off
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 21:06   #20
Dustymiller
Inactive

Dustymiller is on a distinguished roadDustymiller is on a distinguished road

pls delete
Dustymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 22:59   #21
riccojames
Inactive

riccojames is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Beginner's Guide to Testing and Improving Connection Speeds

Link still dos not work and all I get is this....

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /blueyondergames/ on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) Server at gamefiles.virginmedia.com Port 80

I am using the 'Superhub' urgh!!!
riccojames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 16:56   #22
yellowlawn
Inactive

yellowlawn is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are on Win 7 and can't use TCP software. Open a CMD window and type tracert (ip address of what you want to trace). Always try to get the ip address rather than using the website name. This bypasses the need to use DNS.
yellowlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 17:08   #23
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowlawn View Post
If you are on Win 7 and can't use TCP software. Open a CMD window and type tracert (ip address of what you want to trace). Always try to get the ip address rather than using the website name. This bypasses the need to use DNS.
Welcome to the forum, but did you realise you just opened a thread that was last posted to 18 months ago?
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 16:05   #24
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Has this thread been updated of late for use with SHRUB1 AND SHRUB2, PING tests, Upload and download speeds for your settings.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 19:06   #25
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
The link is not dead as it has just worked for me here right now.
It is dead now!
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 22:51   #26
stephenhdoyle
Inactive

stephenhdoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this, I have a question about. I'm moving into a new place. The landlord told me that there is s virgin media connection point. But if I want WiFi I have to call them to organise for them to reconnect it. My question is does anyone know please how much it would cost to get the cheapest WiFi only deal and how long does it take to reconnect it. And lastly does it have to be for a year. Can I not just pay as you go per month. The reason is I'm only staying here for 3 to 4 months
Any help would be great.
Thanks everyone
stephenhdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 23:47   #27
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Hi,

All of Virgin's packages come with wifi as standard. However, you cannot just pay for a few months, I think the minimum term is 12 months. You can take it with you, though (Assuming you move to a Virgin area).
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 22:23   #28
stewart.a.k
Inactive

stewart.a.k is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder is anyone else suffering poor download, unload speeds?
I have been trying to sort this problem out for a few weeks now. I keep ringing Virgin media on 150 after going through all the recorded messages asking me to press this that & the other button & waiting for an answer I eventually get to speak to a human being.
Up until today they have been very helpful & patient trying to sort things out. Today the operatives reaction was you’ve got a connection so what do you expect from me.
I am paying for 150 mb/s but what I am getting is far short of this on many occasion. When connected via Ethernet I used to get 120+ but now I am getting only 16Mb/s to 70Mb/s wireless connections are of course slower.
My speeds vary in fact when looking at the graph of previous tests on speedtest.net the graph looks like a cross section of the Himalayas with all the peaks & troughs
I see I can add smilies to my message but at present I can see nothing to smile about in this regard
stewart.a.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 03:28   #29
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

@stewart.a.k

Instead of posting in this sticky start a new thread in the forum. If you don't know how to get your connection stats say so and someone will advise you.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 02:31   #30
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point

As riccojames says...Link is DEAD..
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote