Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | iPlayer issue...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

iPlayer issue...

Old 24-06-2018, 11:56   #1
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all
iPlayer issue...

I heard an advert on the BBC the other day, saying that all ten series of Doctor Who are now available on iPlayer. Excellent I thought, (Ok, I know that makes me very sad, but heh ho!).
I went to iPlayer though the app on the V6 and could only find series 1-4, I then went through the app on my Sony TV and found exactly the same. However, when I went through the app on my iPad, all ten series appear as promised.
I am now very confused, what's going on?
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-06-2018, 15:52   #2
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era
Re: iPlayer issue...

Are the versions of the Iplayer the same - both on your tablet versus the Virgin box / Sony TV?

I get the whole Android set up on my TV for a good couple years but that is the Android TV software which is different from Android phone software - and eventually the later it goes on / is not updated I would assume that they are just legacy products left. (Not sure how long support lasts on Smart TV software but I have had mine for 3 years plus now).

On the Ipad as the app itself is updated and presumably a fully compatible real time version of the Iplayer (rather than a bundled version / one with restrictions) it may well be that it offers the full service. This is just guess work on my part but I have had similar queries about the variability of the same app across different devices.

(For example, I can't get the VS app on tablets on Android as it does not calibrate / align correctly but I can off phones so I wonder what it is like on my TV etc). I.e. is it even available etc?
Chloé Palmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 16:04   #3
spj20016
cf.addict

Services: Virgin media VIP
spj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nicespj20016 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun View Post
I heard an advert on the BBC the other day, saying that all ten series of Doctor Who are now available on iPlayer. Excellent I thought, (Ok, I know that makes me very sad, but heh ho!).
I went to iPlayer though the app on the V6 and could only find series 1-4, I then went through the app on my Sony TV and found exactly the same. However, when I went through the app on my iPad, all ten series appear as promised.
I am now very confused, what's going on?
I have just looked and they are all available on the V6 through the Iplayer app. You need to go to categories then drama & soaps and then go down to Dr who S1- S10.

Last edited by spj20016; 24-06-2018 at 16:08. Reason: More info
spj20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 16:16   #4
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era

Also another question (I have never tested these things for myself) but on the V boxes (V6 only I assume?) do you have to continuously update the app when it requests or do you have to do it automatically?

If so, does some of the new(er) content usually get withheld or is just functionality of the app itself?

With Skygo, the app itself will not load (on the phone) if it is not up to date and requires a sign in on the app / play store. It is never a case of restricted content though.
Chloé Palmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 17:16   #5
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

The apps on V6 and TiVo, including the BBC iPlayer, are updated by Virgin Media, as and when. You have no control.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 17:21   #6
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The BBC iPlayer app was receiving daily updates on both my TV and V6 in the build-up to the World Cup.

Never saw the V6 date drop behind the TV date - and were often there within a couple of hours of the build time.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 00:00   #7
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by spj20016 View Post
I have just looked and they are all available on the V6 through the Iplayer app. You need to go to categories then drama & soaps and then go down to Dr who S1- S10.
You are indeed correct, thanks for that! I did a search for Doctor Who and it only showed (and indeed still does) series 1-4, very strange indeed.
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote